The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Interesting. I don't think anyone on here would want a Mini. Just kidding of course. Minis are great fun cars. Thanks for the info
Carl

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Hmmm. If I wasn't driving a Mini, I'd be driving an Elise. Oh, wait. I'm not driving a Mini. I would though.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Looks like those guys are pretty civil on that site, they weren't bashing each others choices like on most car forums. A lot of them have good taste in cars too. :up:

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
When I owned my Mini S I frequented that site. It is far more civil than most car sites.

Re the fraternity of British Motoring, again that part of the hobby seems more civil, but it's not without its friction.

I know of some British Car Days shows that do not allow the current MINIS in the shows. They are not seen as 'true' British cars. Of course, it's as British as a new Lotus, but nevermind.

Also, years ago when I had my G-Bodied 84 Turbo Esprit, I went on a big weekend cruise with the DC Jaguar Club. Down the eastern shore of MD.

Nice trip, but there were a fair number of participants that complained about the Esprit...said it looked too 'Italian,' and pointed to that funny Italian name Giugiaro on one of the body badges.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a MINI Cooper S -until quite recently, a great looking -great handling small FWD that lends itself to some impressive modification! I have run it at 'Tail of the Dragon' on a couple occassions -(mine was stock) and it really impresses there. The performance of the Elise on these same roads is what compelled me into the Lotus -and wow -I made the right decision. But I agree -some Clssic MINI owners don't see the lineage in the 'new' MINI-but that doesn't bother MINI owners-they absolutely LOVE their MINI's.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I know of some British Car Days shows that do not allow the current MINIS in the shows. They are not seen as 'true' British cars. Of course, it's as British as a new Lotus, but nevermind.

Also, years ago when I had my G-Bodied 84 Turbo Esprit, I went on a big weekend cruise with the DC Jaguar Club. Down the eastern shore of MD.
A few years ago an Englishman assigned to NATO took his MGF (temporarily imported for his tour of duty) to a local English car show. They didn't want to let him in because they didn't know what it was. They eventually let him in.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Heh. When I am not driving the Elise, I drive an R56 MINI Cooper S. It is a fantastic little car, great handling, comfy, quick and easy to drive. Gets 42mpg on the highway. Crazily enough though... the Elise is easier in some ways to work on, especially changing the oil. Anyway, for a daily driver, MINIs can drive in any weather, and due to their size, can park almost anywhere. Great primary car for someone who owns a Lotus!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I notice a few styling similarities between the 2002-2006 mini cooper S'es and the lotus elise, too.

The way the cooper S has a lip spoiler on the hatch - the lines remind me of the lotus'es lip and curve.

The lines where the "clam" meets the body, with the side turn signal, also seem a bit similar.

The stock lotus exhaust seems very similar to the cooper S'es exhaust, in style and placement.

The mini cooper S and the lotus elise/exige are also the only two cars I know of on the streets, where the side windows are taller towards the front of the car, than at the back of the car. Lends to a unique look where the rear of the car seems to sweep up and shorten the driver/passenger windows. Much more noticeable in the elise/exige, but it's there in the MINI as well.

It's not a 1:1 copy of course, but I see a definite similarity, hmmm. I feel that if MINI were to ever produce a 2 seater, rwd/mid engined roadster, it would look strikingly similar to the elise.. just speculation on my part, though!

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I notice a few styling similarities between the 2002-2006 mini cooper S'es and the lotus elise, too.

The way the cooper S has a lip spoiler on the hatch - the lines remind me of the lotus'es lip and curve.

The lines where the "clam" meets the body, with the side turn signal, also seem a bit similar.

The stock lotus exhaust seems very similar to the cooper S'es exhaust, in style and placement.

The mini cooper S and the lotus elise/exige are also the only two cars I know of on the streets, where the side windows are taller towards the front of the car, than at the back of the car. Lends to a unique look where the rear of the car seems to sweep up and shorten the driver/passenger windows. Much more noticeable in the elise/exige, but it's there in the MINI as well.

It's not a 1:1 copy of course, but I see a definite similarity, hmmm. I feel that if MINI were to ever produce a 2 seater, rwd/mid engined roadster, it would look strikingly similar to the elise.. just speculation on my part, though!

You been hitting the sauce a bit hard tonight?

·
Registered
190 Posts
You been hitting the sauce a bit hard tonight?
Definitely - visiting your wife tonight. ;) kidding.

The two cars look nothing alike, of course - I'm just saying there's a few cues I notice. The side windows are the biggest - I don't see that kind of design on any other car. None that I can think of, anyway. You're right though, I guess it is a bit of a stretch.

On a tangent, I thought this article was interesting: MotoringFile Archive MF Review: Lotus Elise vs MINI Cooper S

·
Registered
112 Posts
I guess I could join the British motoring club. The mini is great fun to drive but not as much as the Triumph or Lotus. Got to have that Dodge truck to haul the bike around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.