The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our counterparts in the UK have now seen the US Elise in Road & Track. They seem to like it, but they think they're being short changed by Lotus. I have to agree. Sucks for them... I guess this is to make up for all the extra time we have to wait to get this great car:)

Or maybe this is like the special introductory price, "but only if you call now"

http://www.british-cars.com/cgi-bin...ject=2001&source=T&thread=2003101211201229196

·
Registered
495 Posts
British Forum

Very 'colorful' forum. I loved the comments about U.S. product liability bankrupting Lotus -- too funny

I can certainly understand their gripe RE the price differential, but hey, we 'yanks' deserve a price break for waiting so patiently all these years

AND, if Lotus does well here, it can only improve the product for everyone

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
The second post from the top is the best...

i hoep it sells really well and all teh signs are that it will

but what teh hell is going on with the price, that car is aroudn 25k but its got the Toyota engine ??? How the F can they then charge another 10k for a hardtop and a set of stickier tyres in the guise of the exige s2 ?
I've never seen that many stereotypical internet newbie typos in a few lines of text in my entire life.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
The second post from the top is the best...

I've never seen that many stereotypical internet newbie typos in a few lines of text in my entire life.
Loosers. Hugh spelling mistakes!

:p

·
Registered
109 Posts
Derek said:
Our counterparts in the UK have now seen the US Elise in Road & Track. They seem to like it, but they think they're being short changed by Lotus. I have to agree. Sucks for them... I guess this is to make up for all the extra time we have to wait to get this great car:)
Now did I already mention on this forum that in the Netherlands where I live we pay EUR 59.551 (that's USD 70,717.25) for a euro S2 111s? Then of course you would still have to add metallic paint, airco and hardtop... :mad:

Yeah... think I already mentioned it ;)

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Cars have always been cheaper in the U.S. and sometimes even cheaper in Canada. Once a sports car manufacturer goes full scale over here, it usually provides a large chunk of its business. Thus, we are important to Lotus. :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Europeans have been able to buy and drive the Elise for several years now, so I'm not feeling too sorry for them. Must say, $70,000 sounds like a lot for an Elise, though. Plus gas is a lot more expensive than here!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
We pay more for our Guinness!!!

(umm... do we?)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Tell those Brits to shut up and get their teeth fixed!

They're still jealous we kicked them out of the country 200+ years ago.

Kind of like the French forgetting that we saved their asses in every war they get involved in.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
smura said:
Tell those Brits to shut up and get their teeth fixed!

Come on by and I'll fix yours :D

Adamant. (Still British, for a while longer. What is up with the INS anyway! If I was Illegal I'd have beeen given Citizenship years ago)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
lol.

Hey, close enough. It's beer.

Randy (Of UK heritage... way back when)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think I'm just jealous because my heritage is polish/irish.

I don't think the irish have contributed one useful thing to society ever, except for some poetry.

And we all know what happened to the polish navy......it sank

·
Registered
442 Posts
Differential pricing - charging whatever each market will bear. The Elise will have different competitors over here, and its has to be priced and equiped appropriately. Hence, more power and luxo items and a price that makes it competitive with Z4s/Boxters and the like (the perceived compeitition (ha!)).

But they should quit their whining. They've had the Elise for 8 years and have access to all sorts of other interesting vehicles that we have to lust after. Let them see what their S3 will be before their knickers get tied in a knot.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
smura said:
I think I'm just jealous because my heritage is polish/irish.

I don't think the irish have contributed one useful thing to society ever, except for some poetry.

And we all know what happened to the polish navy......it sank
Well I'm 'arf Cockney and 'arf Irish, grew up in London. I can confidently say, you colonials 'av done us proud! :D :D :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just out of curiousity.. Is there VAT on cars like the Elise? That would automatically account for the 20% differential.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah 17.5% tax in the UK on new cars + other registration stuff. The US price translated to UK prices would be 28k. The 111S with k series VVC engine is about 26k I think. By the time you add aircon etc. though it would be 28k no problem.

I'm on the Exige S2 waiting list at the moment, but may lose interest if it doesn't dazzle me on the test drive. Drove a Noble M12 today as well, and that car is seriously quick (although felt a bit more like playing a playstation!). They reckon the Exige will be 33k+ which may just piss me off enough to not buy it on principle given how they seem to be perfectly able to compete in the US with expensive shipping etc for far less. 5k for fatter alloys, tyres, better brakes, dampers and a different clam is a bit steep given they are not having to fit the standard parts so you can subtract their value.

So how come none of you are going for a Noble - they are available in the US now :)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Noble in the State, yeah as a kit car the street legal gets the 4 cyl. The track only get a higher output v-6 twin turbo then the one that comes in the UK version. Price tag to start was ~$75k. Think it's a better deal for the UK. So thats one we get to bitch about...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts