The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cure for the common SUV: A fast sportback sedan.

Picked up an additional car for family duty and decided to move with the times. Tesla Model S Performance Ludicrous Plus (basically the 2020 Model S 'Plaid'). My first Tesla and my first EV and want to share some initial impressions with you all. Those of you that already have EVs and made the switch, I'd love to hear if your impressions are the same/different.

Things that met my expectations / "no surprises, this is what I was expecting" category:
  1. Speed is silly. Ludicrous is actually a good word for it. 0-60 in 2.3 seconds is nauseating and except doing it to give new passengers a thrill, I don't do it often. It actually makes my stomach turn. It is also repeatable and drama-free as there is no wheel spin, no noise. Just hooks up and disappears every time.
  2. Interior tech is cool. Big screen nav, dog mode, entertainment options, ride height, electronic damping, etc. all as-expected.
  3. Autopilot is reliable. I have full self-driving but I tend to use the regular autopilot (adaptive cruise, lane centering and steering) more.
  4. Styling is meh, typical 4 door big sedan styling.
  5. 300 reliable miles before needing recharge.
  6. Electricity costs pennies on the dollar compared to gas. I pay 9.5 cents per KWH and 12,000 miles a year of driving would cost under $400 to "gas up" even if I charged entirely at home.
Things that exceeded my expectations / "wow I didn't think it would work this well" category:
  1. 7 passenger setup. I bought the optional 3rd row seats for moving kids and adults the once or twice a year that we need third row. Brilliant to be able to do this in a sedan. Very clever packaging.
  2. Between rear under-trunk and frunk and roomy flat rear seat area, there's a lot of very useful cargo area.
  3. Very mod-friendly. Lowering took 45 minutes and didn't even need to take wheels off the car (air suspension, more on that below), wheel spacers, aftermarket wheels, interior accessories, aero, etc. all plentiful and pretty cheap.
  4. Air suspension makes for a VERY plush ride. I have owned a few different luxury sedans and I can say this Tesla is by far the best comfort-oriented ride quality I have had. GPS-based ride height lifter works well and is pretty fast.
  5. And perhaps the biggest pleasant surprise - 'direct drive' aka no transmission. This feature alone makes for ultimate smoothness as power is so linear. I have had 26 or 27 ICE cars and I count only 3 of them as having had really great transmissions. Most cars have garbage transmissions you have to live with or work around. Syncro issues, leaking off the top, cable adjustment, rev match, quick shifter install, fluid too thick fluid too thin etc. Yeah, no thanks! I will not be sad to see transmissions go away in the future they are an unnecessary impediment to luxury / fast driving.
Ultimately, here's my verdict as a first time EV owner: they may not be ready for track use / sporty driving, but as a luxury car, they are already here and MUCH better than alternatives. I see zero reason for anyone to buy an e-class or Audi A6 or 5 series etc. when something like the Model S or equivalent is way better in nearly every single department.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Dog Car Motor vehicle Hood Toy

Vehicle Leg Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle White Hood

Product Luggage and bags Bag Automotive lighting Trunk

·
Registered
41 Posts
In hindsight having a kid and one more now on the way since purchasing our Tesla I sometimes wish we went for an S instead of a 3 but our tight city garage probably wouldn't accommodate. The damping on the 3 is just too stiff in most situations, air suspension would be great for our crappy US roads. And the extra interior space of the S would be very welcome with child seats lol!

Yes to most of your points, as a luxury option one has to look objectively and say that the silent smooth power is just superior for that purpose... engineers are constantly striving to eliminate NVH and an electric power train just makes that part of the equation easier.

I'm charging at roughly 5-6.5 cents per kWh overnight and with $5-6/gallon gas here it's a pretty hefty savings.

Enjoy your ride!

·
Premium Member
9,483 Posts
I have said it a long time now, when they make a more SUV like scenario that does one of 2 things, either does my 373 mi trip non-stop in ZERO degree weather, or I can top it up like a gas stop in 5 minutes to get there, I'm in. Low ride heights suck behind shakers, plows, logging trucks etc in winter. I gave that up 25yrs ago. The S is the only Tesla model with a decent looking front end. The others all have Bubba syndrome for the lower lip. My last sedan was a 2004 Jag XJVDP. No kids so no need for rear doors. SUVs play that role if we need rear doors, otherwise REAL COUPES are the norm.

Soon. Rivian R1S on the horizon, Gonna be interested to see what Lucid has up their sleeves. Mach E a bit too cost cutting FORD for me at this point in my life.
The color is very nice. A true tan interior would have been my choice. But for now, I'll hang on to the epic sounds of my F136 cross planed GTS.

Reactions: dogtag114 and Dylan

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
It's great that you are enjoing your new car. I'm a bit confused about this being an alternative to an SUV, as it has less cargo space than a Ford Escape. I'm assuming you meant because you could fit 7 people? As the third seat is set up like the older MB wagons, cargo space is then nil?

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
It's great that you are enjoing your new car. I'm a bit confused about this being an alternative to an SUV, as it has less cargo space than a Ford Escape. I'm assuming you meant because you could fit 7 people? As the third seat is set up like the older MB wagons, cargo space is then nil?
Hah! the third set of seats is set up like the '60's Plymouth Fury Station Wagon. As a kid spent many an hour stuffed in that back-back seat, with my little sister, as our family of 8 traveled 500 miles in a 7 passenger wagon, with luggage, on our way to visit family in upstate New York.

Wound up testing for my driver's license in that car. Parallel parking it was like docking the Queen Mary.

Reactions: brgelise

·
Premium Member
9,483 Posts
How's the stereo v a top shelf Meridian system???

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Even with the third row seats, I can fit a decent amount of stuff in the undertrunk.

Before I bought the Model S, I was cross-shopping against 3 row plug in hybrids - XC90, Kia Sorento etc. Trust me, I sat in and drove those and I can now say the Model S is more versatile than any of those vehicles for moving 2 large dogs + 2 kids + cargo and occasionally 5 adults + 2 kids. Full-EV packaging is much better, ICE cars & PHEVs suffer in packaging due to cumbersome drivetrain components.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yep. The lack of noise is startling, and a truly soulless experience. Not the car for me, but fine for others.
In a luxury car, I (and most buyers) don't want any noise. When I am moving my family and dogs, I don't want to hear anything from the outside world. A sporty noise to me is more appropriate for my track car or weekend car.

As someone above mentioned, ICE luxury vehicles try very hard to do what EVs do by design - reduce NVH.

·
Less is Better
3,333 Posts
Agreed. I remember riding in the 3rd row of a Volvo 850 Wagon 30ish years ago. Smallish car with lots of space for moving stuff.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have said it a long time now, when they make a more SUV like scenario that does one of 2 things, either does my 373 mi trip non-stop in ZERO degree weather, or I can top it up like a gas stop in 5 minutes to get there, I'm in. Low ride heights suck behind shakers, plows, logging trucks etc in winter. I gave that up 25yrs ago. The S is the only Tesla model with a decent looking front end. The others all have Bubba syndrome for the lower lip. My last sedan was a 2004 Jag XJVDP. No kids so no need for rear doors. SUVs play that role if we need rear doors, otherwise REAL COUPES are the norm.

Soon. Rivian R1S on the horizon, Gonna be interested to see what Lucid has up their sleeves. Mach E a bit too cost cutting FORD for me at this point in my life.
The color is very nice. A true tan interior would have been my choice. But for now, I'll hang on to the epic sounds of my F136 cross planed GTS.
Agree, Tesla styling is meh at best (S) and downright stupid at worst (Y/3). In fairness, most luxury sedans have meh styling though. E-class is always forgettable, I can't tell any Audi apart and other than M5, most 5 series are pretty bland also. When seen in the company of main competitors, the Model S isn't that bad.

My neighbor has the Mach E GT and I like it a lot. It's not as efficient though, and charging curve is slow. But Ford and Kia/Hyundai are the leading legacy OEMs with an exciting EV product range - I tried to buy the Kia EV6 but couldn't get one. Very excited to see what comes out in next 1-3 years.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Where do you guys live where electricity is so cheap, or are you just stating the generation cost? The national average per kWh delivered is just under 13-cents. I pay 12-cents delivered. Still, that’s cheaper than running an ICE car, but just wondering.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Where do you guys live where electricity is so cheap, or are you just stating the generation cost? The national average per kWh delivered is just under 13-cents. I pay 12-cents delivered. Still, that’s cheaper than running an ICE car, but just wondering.
Texas. 9.6 cents a KWH flat rate - no difference peak versus non-peak. Oklahoma is very similar rate. At those rates, an EV driven the same distance would cost roughly one seventh of an equivalent ICE car.

I know Massachusetts is like 31 cents a KWH. So is California I imagine, if not higher. Even at those numbers, I imagine EV economics are about one quarter or one third of ICE for comparable vehicle driven over similar miles.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is an odd post in the Evora forum lol. If anything, get a Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo. But I have the rest of my life for EVs, I’m in no rush.

Had a P85 Tesla for about 6 months, I felt more emotions staring at a rock other than the one trick pony of accelerating hard, but even that was dumb because the suspension is too soft to take the torque. Sold it pretty quickly.

I actually had two Smart Fortwo EVs in the past, prefer them over the Tesla. Super zippy and a lot of fun.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is an odd post in the Evora forum lol. If anything, get a Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo. But I have the rest of my life for EVs, I’m in no rush.

Had a P85 Tesla for about 6 months, I felt more emotions staring at a rock other than the one trick pony of accelerating hard, but even that was dumb because the suspension is too soft to take the torque. Sold it pretty quickly.

I actually had two Smart Fortwo EVs in the past, prefer them over the Tesla. Super zippy and a lot of fun.
I am keeping the Evora forever, and definitely buying an Emira when the 4 banger DCT becomes available. I am not a battery car hippie by any means. Figured many Evora owners also had EVs.

"felt more emotions staring at a rock" LMAO, that's pretty funny :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fair question yeah that's Supply so with Distribution and Taxes tacking on another 3.5 cents/kWh probably closer to OP's price in Texas.

Here in Chicago I have an option to do hourly pricing on Generation/Supply which floats from 4-20 cents per kWh, sometimes higher like 30 in super high demand times (middle of the day during summer months typically). Overnight it's rarely more than 7 cents/kWh but usually about 5.

Fixed pricing would put total delivered at about 11 cents per kWh which has shot up about 3 cents per kWh within the last few months.

Also Illinois has I believe the highest percentage of nuclear power generation in the country which my provider passes along a hefty rebate for using a "Carbon-Free Energy Resource" otherwise would pay about 4 cents/kWh more.

Either way to your point at say 10 cents to 15 cents per kWh, having $40 more on my monthly utility bill versus $200 in premium fuel for a similarly performing ICE car is not so bad.

·
Premium Member
9,483 Posts
So the electricity is cheap but the travel times are compromised for many of us which means my hourly cost is VASTLY higher than the differential between gas and electric. Still think EV charging/gas stations should become integrated.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So the electricity is cheap but the travel times are compromised for many of us which means my hourly cost is VASTLY higher than the differential between gas and electric. Still think EV charging/gas stations should become integrated.
I think the long charge times is a bit overblown to be honest. We travel with two toddlers in diapers and two dogs. Every stop for us is 30 minutes minimum, and that's my wife and I tag teaming and working efficiently.

If we stop at a supercharger for 30 minutes, it would add about 150 miles of charge in that time. Plenty to get to next stop 2 hours - 3 hours away. For most families, charge times are moot. Now that's assuming you are in a major highway where there are plenty of superchargers available every few hundred miles. Big IF, I know.

For those long trips to Moab and Colorado and Big Bend etc. off the beaten path, we will take our F150 hybrid for forseeable future.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts