The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Incident 1. The pursuit:

I was followed by a Hummer H2 today. This guy drove like a total idiot to catch up to me. Then when he did he got right on my a$$. I decided it was a good idea to put a little distance between us, then awhile after I slowed down I noticed him in my rear view mirror doing his best to catch back up to me. The weird thing is how hard this a$$hole was trying to keep up with me, all so that he could tailgate me. Ever time I slowed down a few minute later I would see this nut-job in the rear view mirror driving like a total fool in his giant SUV. This idiot almost rear ended a car while trying to catch up so he could ride my a$$. To be honest I really wasn't driving very fast. I kept the speed under 100 mph or so. For the Liz that's a very comfortable speed, it's just that well planted. However that's a pretty good rate of speed for a H2 to try to keep up with. While zipping around was no chore in the Elise, I know the guy in the H2 must have been pushing his vehicle to the very limits to catch up with me. I decided to slow down so the fool wouldn't kill someone trying to keep up with me. As my turn off approached I saw the opportunity to give this fool the slip. I accomplished this by delaying my turn in to the very last minute. I timed it so he would be committed to continuing straight by the ability of his vehicle. I turned off and he continued straight. :cool: I’m not sure what to make of someone like this. I've had cars try to race me before. However this is my first “idiot tailgater” incident. I've don't know what's with some people. What on earth could he possible have been trying to prove? I have to laugh because he likely is thinking," hey I kept up with an Elise in my H2" while I'm thinking,” What a psycho, I better slow down so this nut doesn’t kill someone trying to keep up with me.”

Incident 2. The retarded admirer:

Anyone with a nice car will understand this scenario. You go a restaurant, as you pull up to park you look around for a spot out of the way. Hopefully away from any other cars and no space for another car to park next to you on one side. I find my space and park. On my way out I notice an older guy driving up in a late model Corvette. He drives around the lot, see my car and decide to park next to me. Ok I think, he should be alright, he’s got a nice car, he probably won’t ding my door or do anything stupid… Surely not with me walking right up to my car…. CORRECTION! This fool opens his door and bang… It hits my mirror. He knows I saw. I check my mirror no harm done. But how fcuknig stupid must you be to be so careless opening your door with the owner of the other car standing right there and then to hit his car? :huh: Then he says to me,” that is a really beautiful car what is it?” :rolleyes: I answered his question, but sorry, I was somewhat less than friendly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
Congratulations on not taking a swing at the Vette driver. What a total nitwit.

ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
My instincts tell me the H2 driver was probably trying to get a good long, look at your car. Were there passengers in his car? I wouldn't be surprised if he had other people egging him on. Regardless, he's probably never driven a small car before, and he probably has no concept of vehicle dynamics, and he probably thought his behaivor was actually safe. It boggles the mind, but some people actually don't understand that huge, heavier cars take longer to stop, and are harder to maneuver in tight spots. It's assholes like this who ride the tails of motorcycles, despite the huge stopping power differential. It boggles the mind.

I would have edged into the right lane, slowed to a crawl, and waited for him to buzz off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
I was approaching my parked car in a parking lot, and watched someone pull an SUV into the adjacent space and let their door fly right into my wheel well arch. I could hear it two lanes away as I watched.

I asked for (and received) their insurance information and filed a claim. It should be fixed soon on their dime.

I'm guessing they will use more care in opening their door in the future.

It's damage, like any other road incident -- treat it as such. Be polite but firm, explain that you would like the damage repaired, and ask for license and insurance. This person, like most, seemed completely baffled that their door, at full swing, could do actual damage.. expensive damage.. damage they're responsible for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,204 Posts
OK here goes my best one.
We were at the 2002 Monterey Historics weekend so I go down the street from our hotel to get gas. Driving our 1995 S6 Avant. I'm gassing up the car when a wench driving a Cherokee pulls into the station in front of me and bashes into my new Euro front bumper. I freak and start telling her what an ignorant bitch she is and she says "why do you think they call them bumpers, they're for bumping each other dude"!!!
Unbelievably stupid!
:wallbang:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
Ground Loop said:
This person, like most, seemed completely baffled that their door, at full swing, could do actual damage..
I think you're absolutely right. People are actually that stupid -- unaware of the laws of physical science, and seemingly oblivious to how in the world dings end up on cars. Where do they think dings come from? Someone attacking doors with a ball-pean hammer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Here's a Day of the Dumb moment from yesterday.

I got my son from college to help me change my exhaust yesterday. On the way home, a bunch of kids in a Honda gun it and pull up next to me. The one in the back moons us. You know, intelligent teenagers. They pull ahead laughing and approached a bunch of bikers, whom they subsequently mooned as well (evolution in progress). Of course the bikers were none too happy, and got right on the bumper of the Honda as the kids tried to pull away. As fascinated with this as I was, I let the little band bikes and the car pull away, the kids by now perhaps realizing the error of their ways. I don't know what ended up happening, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't pretty. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
I had a guy on my tail yesterday, too. Same thing -- when I moved over, so did he. He clearly just wanted to be on my tail. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that the word "Elise" is in such small letters on the car -- maybe these people are simply trying to see what the model name is, and they just don't realize what a potential danger they're causing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
some people actually don't understand that huge, heavier cars take longer to stop
That's actually sort of a misconception. Weight does not directly influence braking ability. A Hummer with soft-compound tires and big brakes will stop just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
BTW... the other day, I played catch up (in my SUV) with a blue Gallardo to check it out. I didn't go too fast (kept it under 50) and didn't tailgate. I stayed in the rear 3/4 or on the side. With my offroading tires on, there's no way I could have stopped in time if she had to slam on her brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
transio said:
That's actually sort of a misconception. Weight does not directly influence braking ability. A Hummer with soft-compound tires and big brakes will stop just fine.
Bullshit.

A Hummer will stop fine, but not as fast as an Elise.

A 34 ton truck takes 400 feet to stop from 60mph. There's simply no possible way to get the same braking power per pound relationship and have a driveable vehicle.

Weight also directly influences the ability to steer around something, particularly when the weight is way up high.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
I was considering buying a Hummer until I started encountering Hummer drivers who drive them like sports cars. I have a couple of good memories -

1) I'm driving home in the snow last winter. Snow tires on my car, a little weight in the back for traction. Get off the toll road, turn left on the road that leads towards my neighborhood, Hummer gets on my tail. I speed up bigtime to put some distance. I grew up up north so I have some ability in driving quickly in snow. He's still on my tail. I stop. He gets the idea (usually around here this just pisses people off - I was lucky).

2) I'm driving to work one day. I'm passing a Hummer as he's signalling to get out. He doesn't like it. I'm going pretty quick on my way to my own exit. He goes about 80 to go past me and cuts me off.

I don't mess with them anymore. You can be assured that whenever possible, there will be at least one car between me and the nearest Hummer on the road.

The Hummer H2 is like George Bush. People either really like them or they really hate them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
transio said:
That's actually sort of a misconception. Weight does not directly influence braking ability. A Hummer with soft-compound tires and big brakes will stop just fine.
OK, OK, if we're going to play a game of parsing words, I concede that all things NOT being equal, blah blah blah, yada, yada, yada... so on, so forth, end of point.

But obviously, vehicles like Hummers and other behemoths are not built for braking or emergency maneuvering. An Elise-like car or a motorcycle will ALWAYS have the advantage -- and thus suffer a certain level of exposure to SUVs driven by assholes. In effect, your Gallardo story is what I was getting at (not that you were being an *******... you know what I mean).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,664 Posts
Derek said:
Incident 1. The pursuit:

I was followed by a Hummer H2 today. This guy drove like a total idiot to catch up to me. Then when he did he got right on my a$$. I decided it was a good idea to put a little distance between us, then awhile after I slowed down I noticed him in my rear view mirror doing his best to catch back up to me. The weird thing is how hard this a$$hole was trying to keep up with me, all so that he could tailgate me. Ever time I slowed down a few minute later I would see this nut-job in the rear view mirror driving like a total fool in his giant SUV. This idiot almost rear ended a car while trying to catch up so he could ride my a$$. To be honest I really wasn't driving very fast. I kept the speed under 100 mph or so. For the Liz that's a very comfortable speed, it's just that well planted. However that's a pretty good rate of speed for a H2 to try to keep up with. While zipping around was no chore in the Elise, I know the guy in the H2 must have been pushing his vehicle to the very limits to catch up with me. I decided to slow down so the fool wouldn't kill someone trying to keep up with me. As my turn off approached I saw the opportunity to give this fool the slip. I accomplished this by delaying my turn in to the very last minute. I timed it so he would be committed to continuing straight by the ability of his vehicle. I turned off and he continued straight. :cool: I’m not sure what to make of someone like this. I've had cars try to race me before. However this is my first “idiot tailgater” incident. I've don't know what's with some people. What on earth could he possible have been trying to prove? I have to laugh because he likely is thinking," hey I kept up with an Elise in my H2" while I'm thinking,” What a psycho, I better slow down so this nut doesn’t kill someone trying to keep up with me.”
I get put in the H2 situation quite often on my bike. It seems like every moron in an escalade, h2, navigator, etc... wants to try to keep up. Yesterday I was making a right turn with one of them behind me (on his cell phone) and I noticed that he wasn't slowing down behind me. I overshot the turn to avoid getting run over, and sped up to put some distance between us, make the next right and turn around. As I was making the next right, he put his accelerator to the floor and laid on his horn while giving me the finger. The only explanation I can come up with is that he really was trying to run me over.

In my car, I usually open the sun roof and "accidentally" flick pennies out of it when people ride my ass and refuse to back off. It seems to work pretty well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
In effect, your Gallardo story is what I was getting at (not that you were being an *******... you know what I mean).
Sorry, my post was ambiguous. I stayed behind and to the side of the Gallardo because I knew I couldn't stop in time IF I were to tailgate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,684 Posts
like in a gallardo's blind spot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,315 Posts
My solution to being tailgated is to slowly slow down. I'll try different speeds until they pass. Another method is to change speed (75-60-75-60) just using the gas pedal. I know I can brake and manouvre better than they can so I want them in front of me. If they are idiots I'll take their license too. With an H2 behind you and something goes wrong, you will not be walking away.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top