The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You remember Don Mclean's song. It was about Buddy Holly's death in 1959.
That title brings an interesting perspective.
What year (or decade) did the music died...for YOU?
Or is it still alive and kicking?

For my opinion (no flames here, I'm old) but I stopped listening to the music in the late 1980's. My music interest centers on 1967, where I was in a rock band. I listen to the '50's, 60's, a few 70's and very, very few in the 80's. No 90's. Rap, disco, urban, Britney, Alicia Keyes, and new stuff leaves me cold. The music died.

But that's me.
What about you? When did "the music died" for you?
Or is it still live and kickin'?

--Hal

·
Registered
758 Posts
The introduction of MTV.

Talent use to be based on how you sang, wrote and played your music.

Now its based on how you look and your ability to lip sync. When I hear people like Britney Spears, In Sync, etc referred to as "artist" it makes me want to puke.

I do like the Foo Fighters and Chili Peppers though.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Damn kids keep walking on my lawn.

Ummm yeah... sort of a mixed response. I quit following contemporary music in the 90s. The advent of zero-skill "music" where one had to dance, look good, lip sync was what it was all about. Amazing to me so see people pay a lot of money to fill an arena to watch someone that does not write music or play an instrument.

The good news for me... is there is much good music out there... from many time periods. I have been getting into bands that are more obscure or that have faded away from the limelight. Ones I missed during their time. And new ones. Recently found Lelia Broussard for example. Great songwriter and singer out of LA.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Alive and kicking. The chances are better than ever that great music is being made. And there are more ways to easily find it. With 6+ billion people on earth, more people are making music than ever before (I think it's in our DNA) and the odds are some of them are very good. Keep rocking, just not in a chair...

Tom

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
1971. Jim Morrison died.

Changed things for me.

Along came the Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Boston, Jethro Tull...

Music rocked for a while.

But for my 16-year-old son?

The music today is FANTASTIC. :D

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Billy Joel is my ticket to the music. .
I saw him in the early 70's in a little 500 seat theater for ONE dollar. ( noone knew him then ) Right after that he wrote a song about the area I lived in .....Allentown.

My music tastes change with the music. I LOVE old Genesis / Yes / Pink Floyd / Led Zep / Chicago and I still think they'll NEVER be music like that again; but I like some new stuff too.. Pink, Avril Lavigne, No Doubt, ( a lot of female artists ) ....then I can listen to Bach, and Big band also !!.... NO Rap or Hip hop... no talent involved there, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Rock kind of died for me in the mid 80's. I transitioned to Jazz and certian types of folk music at that time.
I played in bands as well from the late 60's to 81. Had to stop to go on the road for my real job and to make real money.
Rock in the late 60's and 70's was a fast and ever changing animal. Loved that early progressive stuff. Floyd, ELP, Yes, Kansas, Rush, and even the stuff that became hard rock. Then there was the odd ball stuff, cactus, Beck, Bogart, and Appice, and others I cannot remember the names of. On top of all that there was the main stream Rock, Blues, and everything in between.
Wow, I miss those days of going deaf, playing in clubs and frats to the wee hours of the morning, the all night diners along highway 22 and 1, the roadie hastles, the groupies, the fans, (good and bad), the nights when songs would come off so well that everyone would stop, look at each other and without saying a word know what had just happened.

There ya go, you got me reminiscing like the old fart that I is. I'll have to go home and dig out some of the old tapes and take a stroll down memory lane tonight while working on the 61.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
The introduction of MTV.

Talent use to be based on how you sang, wrote and played your music.

Now its based on how you look and your ability to lip sync. When I hear people like Britney Spears, In Sync, etc referred to as "artist" it makes me want to puke.

I do like the Foo Fighters and Chili Peppers though.
i disagree.
look has always played a part in rock and roll.
col parker honed elvis presleys look and image/reputation to make him more marketable.
need i go on?
when the beatles started out their manager wanted them to "clean up a bit" because of how they looked and lived.
the rolling stones were encouraged to look a certain way also. they had to work on their bad boys image in their very early years.

back then it seems these things were secondary to playing catchy tunes and nowadays it seems catchy tunes are secondary to the look.
to that extent ill agree.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
You remember Don Mclean's song. It was about Buddy Holly's death in 1959.
That title brings an interesting perspective.
What year (or decade) did the music died...for YOU?
Or is it still alive and kicking?

For my opinion (no flames here, I'm old) but I stopped listening to the music in the late 1980's. My music interest centers on 1967, where I was in a rock band. I listen to the '50's, 60's, a few 70's and very, very few in the 80's. No 90's. Rap, disco, urban, Britney, Alicia Keyes, and new stuff leaves me cold. The music died.

But that's me.
What about you? When did "the music died" for you?
Or is it still live and kickin'?

--Hal
to be more specific, buddy holly, richie valens, and the big bopper.
great song. filled with so much allegory. (i think thats the right word. :) )

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
My my, hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay
It's better to burn out
Than to fade away
My my, hey hey.

Out of the blue
and into the black
They give you this,
but you pay for that
And once you're gone,
you can never come back
When you're out of the blue
and into the black.

The king is gone
but he's not forgotten
This is the story
of a Johnny Rotten
It's better to burn out
than it is to rust
The king is gone
but he's not forgotten.

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my.

(Neil Young)

ps -- RIP Kurt Cobain

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
coldplay are pretty good, richard d james is doing his thing, cat power, death cab for cutie, amy winehouse isn't a personal favourite but shes got some serious talent i prefer regina spektor, portishead / beth gibbons are still going strong too, sondre lerche, kurl nissel from norwegian and world idol.

and of course the D keep rock alive

i'd say its nostalgia more than perspective, its a strong thing.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I saw him in the early 70's in a little 500 seat theater for ONE dollar. ( noone knew him then ) Right after that he wrote a song about the area I lived in .....Allentown.

My music tastes change with the music. I LOVE old Genesis / Yes / Pink Floyd / Led Zep / Chicago and I still think they'll NEVER be music like that again; but I like some new stuff too.. Pink, Avril Lavigne, No Doubt, ( a lot of female artists ) ....then I can listen to Bach, and Big band also !!.... NO Rap or Hip hop... no talent involved there, as far as I'm concerned.

Allentown is one of my favorites. All the songs nowadays are about sex, love (not always a bad thing, but quite over-used theme), money, cars, drugs.. Allentown is one of those things that requires historical perspective and knowledge.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
if you can't find something contemperary to listen to, the problem is with you, not music.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Billy Joel is a favorite! In the past...Dire Staights, Neil Diamond, the Animals, The Beatles, the Stones, Blondie, B-52's, Pretenders, Boston, Queen....some favorites.

Motown, surf, ballads, folk, heavy metal, classic rock....just everything was different.

Compare a Moody Blues album "Day's of Future Past" with, say, Hannah Montana....:huh:

There are songs the grasp the deeper soul, while others are light-hearted.
The music fits your mood.

Unfortuntely, seems like the spectrum of music was narrowed after the '90's.:sad:
IMHO

--Hal

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The day Napster was taken down... j/k ;)

I haven't really listened to music in a while, I have an ipod I got for Christmas(don't use it) no stereo in my car, and don't play music on my computer... the music "industry" is so ridiculous that I want no part of it...

also MTV hasnt played music in like 15 years lol (aside from Total request live for a little while)

besides if I'm watching tv its usually discovery, or BBC

·
Registered
317 Posts
My theory is most people think the best music ever made is whatever was being played when they were in high school. Anything before that is old and dated and anything after is pointless and weird. There is music being made right now in every genre that has ever existed, and people are invented new styles every day. Accessibility peaked with Napster and the like, but it is still so easy to explore new stuff. You might just find something you like.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
yep just watch that bul**it episode on nostalgia, they basically say that if you're harping on the past all nostalgic and wish for those days, then you're probably not too happy with your current life.

like the ren fair geeks that want to go live in medieval days, i'd pay to see that.

compare the moody blues to a good modern band, why choose a disney manufactured band ( which they used to have in those days too ), artifical weighting does help your argument though ;)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts