The Lotus Cars Community banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
You can't make this up
1,167 Posts
My car had been driven for long periods through many wet conditions (Hurricane George in '98 and Hurricane Katrina in '05). In both those years, we drove in downpours for 6 - 8 hours straight...

Lord man you abuse that car so. Penelope wont see that often if I can help it

·
You can't make this up
1,167 Posts
I'm only speaking for myself but I have Boyd's aluminum tanks in my personal Esprit and as Randy noted we have used them in other cars as well. The quality of the tanks is totally professional. Also we have visited their shop and they have a first class operation, and were very attentive to us and good to deal with when it came to design and suggestions for improvement.

Perhaps some one here can chime in on the similarities/differences between G and S cars to see if the tanks are compatible. If they are, problem solved. If not then another alternative is to deliver old G tanks to Boyd's and have them reproduce the new tanks from their own measurements of the original Lotus G tanks. The first time we ordered tanks from Boyd's we delivered a pair of old S tanks for them to use as a model, and we also discussed the changes we wanted to make to the design of the original tanks.

If you took this approach it would add some expense (shipping old tanks to Boyd's) but it may not be prohibitive, especially if you do not want the old tanks returned. Or if you organize a group buy of G tanks, them the cost of supplying them with a "model set" of old tanks could be shared among the whole group.

In any event I think they are an excellent source of tanks - and we don't have any financial ties to them or anything like that. I just admire craftsmanship - and I've got to say that they do the prettiest damn aluminum welding I have ever seen! And what a great thing t have an American source for new Esprit fuel tanks at a reasonable cost.
Where is Boyd contact info????

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Atwell,
I used these guys in NJ to fix up the old tank on my '83 RX-7 (nearly impossible to get a replacement tank any more): Gas Tank RENU - USA
Car is still in the shop waiting on a carb replacement, so I haven't actually driven it yet with the new tank.
-Tyler

UPDATE:

Here's a new source for gas tank refurbishment, currently recommended by JAE.

They are near Pittsburgh, PA

Moyer Fuel Tank Renu - antique gas tank repair restoration, classic car gas tanks GASTANK

LOTUS GAS TANK

·
Spreadthin
31 Posts
I used gas tank renu in Albany (quite a few years ago) to repair a leaky tank in a 76 jaguar XJ12 that I had for a short time. Not concours, but very effective! They cut a big hole in the tank, clean it, weld it up and coat the inside and outside so it never leaks again. As I said-very effective!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

121 - 132 of 132 Posts