The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’ve been wanting an On Rails Engineering (ORE) double cup holder for my Elise (one of my wife’s complaints and it’s an easy way to entice her to ride with me). I’ve reached out to them via phone, e-mail, messaging in a forum, etc. Nothing. It’s like he walked away from the whole thing but forgot to turn his website off.

Anyway, I just missed out on a used one if the marketplace 😬. My question is this....does anyone else make one that’s similar? I’ve seen single cup holders that go in various places but I want one that slides in, out of the way, but can be pulled out for use. Any suggestions?

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
I think lowtush departed our car scene years ago. Most of ORE's products for Lotus and non-Lotus have been out of stock for just as long.

You'll have to post in the Wanted section for a sliding double cup holder. No one makes those anymore that I've seen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not ideal but I recently bought one like this for my Evora. It hasn't come in yet so I can let you know if it works out well or not as an alternative.

You can see it around the 6:30 mark -

Hi all,

I’ve been wanting an On Rails Engineering (ORE) double cup holder for my Elise (one of my wife’s complaints and it’s an easy way to entice her to ride with me). I’ve reached out to them via phone, e-mail, messaging in a forum, etc. Nothing. It’s like he walked away from the whole thing but forgot to turn his website off.

Anyway, I just missed out on a used one if the marketplace 😬. My question is this....does anyone else make one that’s similar? I’ve seen single cup holders that go in various places but I want one that slides in, out of the way, but can be pulled out for use. Any suggestions?

·
Jeff Krebs
45 Posts
I got one a few years back and you assumption is correct.
The wife will be much more agreeable to ride along with a cup holder.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I don't know if a double cup holder is your only option but here is one I've been thinking of getting that a few other members have used. It uses the screw on your center console near the foot well to mount and folds back up when not in use. I've been on the fence because I honestly don't know if I want my wife to bring drinks into the car and risk of spillage lol. I tell her only bottles are aloud and shes been fine with that.

https://www.ebay.com/i/122028835303?chn=ps

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
I am always so mystified by these guys who make stuff then stop. All the work is in the planning and setup, the actual making of things is the easy part.

The first length of material would be paid for after selling the first 2 or 3, then your profit is about ow fast you can make them

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am always so mystified by these guys who make stuff then stop. All the work is in the planning and setup, the actual making of things is the easy part.

The first length of material would be paid for after selling the first 2 or 3, then your profit is about ow fast you can make them
I agree. I don’t understand why you’d just walk away from it all after the pain and suffering getting it up and running. There has to be more to the story...

I reached out to the guy who makes the Looney cup holder...the single one that, like the ORE double version, slides out from under the a/c controls. He has temporarily stopped manufacturing them due to government programs being terminated which affected his manufacturing somehow. So....another dead end. 😕

·
Terry
2,189 Posts

That's because the market is very small and it is hard to make a good profit for the time putting in.

The forum mods also discourage group buys from the makers. As a maker, it is impossible to test the water before paying $1000 worth of sponsorship fee. That's why small companies and individual makers don't last long in the lotus community. With that being said, I have a lot of respect for Shinoo from Inokinetic and Greg from GRP for their ability and consistency of brining quality stuff and new inventions to our community. :up:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the BWR one...Holds in place really well, and easy to put away when i don't want it.

The Inokinetic one is just as easy. It's a little more difficult to put in and remove. But the springs help it hold more types of beverages vs the BWR one.

·
2005 Graphite Grey Elise
45 Posts
Same experience. I emailed them about it but have not gotten a response.

Conversely, I ordered their HID projector upgrade a few weeks ago and it shipped the next day. So they are definitely still around. Not sure why they arent answering emails though.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
That's because the market is very small and it is hard to make a good profit for the time putting in.

The forum mods also discourage group buys from the makers. As a maker, it is impossible to test the water before paying $1000 worth of sponsorship fee. That's why small companies and individual makers don't last long in the lotus community. With that being said, I have a lot of respect for Shinoo from Inokinetic and Greg from GRP for their ability and consistency of brining quality stuff and new inventions to our community. :up:
Trust me, I have made a living for the better part of 30 years on small volume parts, there is no reason for it

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same experience. I emailed them about it but have not gotten a response.

Conversely, I ordered their HID projector upgrade a few weeks ago and it shipped the next day. So they are definitely still around. Not sure why they arent answering emails though.
go figure. Crappy way to do business, if you ask me. If you’re not selling the cup holder anymore, fine, just say so. I’m almost at the point where if they say they have em, I’ll tell them to go take a hike.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Anyone ever tried this one? It slides under/over your floor mat which holds it in place. Can easily be removed any time.

https://mossmiata.com/1990-1997-miata/interior/cup-holders-ashtrays/large-drink-holder
Makes sense that Miata people have the same cupholder problem Lotus people do. Given the amount of flat floor space on my Elise compared to the lack of space available everywhere else, this seems like a reasonable compromise - easily removed, simple, goes somewhere we actually have space available, and will hold a decent sized thermal mug.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I used a roll of Gorilla tape when I drove down to LOG in NJ

worked perfect
Yeah, I've done that, too, notably in my '65 Chevy Van for long drives. It works very well because the roll of tape is heavy and has a low CG and the edge of the roll is sticky. Eventually figured out that a cheapie hang from the window lip cup holder will clip into the ash tray door and switched to that.

Honestly, I'm a little prissier about the interior of the Lotus than that...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts