The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Why would they not be happy? They are paying for Lotus's services just like anybody else would. This move on Lotus's part makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Smart direction indeed.

Ultra Lightweight is the key to efficient electric and hybrid vehicles, and we all know that Lotus is at the forefront of lightweight vehicles!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Like all other things Lotus...

I'll believe it when I see it!;) No "spy photos" or "artist renditions" or "magazine conjuncture" or "Lotus CEO said".-poke- I'll believe it when I SEE it!:D

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
They are not building a car. This is an engineering division. They are going to work with other manufacturers.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
They are not building a car. This is an engineering division. They are going to work with other manufacturers.
As they have for decades.

Lotus is one of the premiere consulting operations in the automotive industry. They have extensive knowledge about all things automotive - chassis, suspension, engines, active suspension, etc.

Go to the Lotus Proactive web site: http://www.just-auto.com/proactive/
and download previous issues, and sign up for the future issues. They will give you an idea of the many things that Lotus is involved with. And some of the many manufacturers they are working with (but not all, because many are under non-disclosure agreements).

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Ok not really, but I bet the people at Tesla aren't too happy.
Personally, I think a cheap calculator would upset the Tesla folks.
;)

Consider this:
Tesla MSRP: $98,000
Elise MSRP: $46,270

Difference: $51,730 / $3.30/gal. = 15,675 gallons
15,675 gallons x 26.5 mpg (averaged) = 415387 miles

So, for the difference in price an Elise can be driven >400k miles?
Someone please explain to me how the Tesla makes sense?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
It's a 'halo' car, not a 'real' car.

It was made so Hollywood can show up at the Oscars in a cool car that is 'eco-friendly'.

Their next car is supposed to be a sedan and be more reasonable in price.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
It's a 'halo' car, not a 'real' car.

It was made so Hollywood can show up at the Oscars in a cool car that is 'eco-friendly'.

Their next car is supposed to be a sedan and be more reasonable in price.
Ah, well that explains it.
:crazyeyes

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
;)

Consider this:

Shhh! The work Lotus does elsewhere allows them to innovate for us down the road. They have to pay the bills somehow.

·
Registered
676 Posts
;)

Consider this:

Not only that.. you still have to plug in the Tesla somewhere.. What's that going to draw? The voltage of a 60 Watt light bulb, or more like a refrigerator..? or like recharging a car?

Electricity isn't free either.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
all i have to say bout the tesla is 0-60 in 3.6 seconds in total silence wihtout requiring a cluch drop.... if you don't understand how that relates to not alerting every last police car in 1/4 miles range then i don't know what to say. If all you do is track your car and drive it to and from the track, i TOTALLY understand.

Might not be a great track car for running out of batteries, might not "sound" great, but it does what it's supposed to do. It's FAST, and it HANDLES, and it's silent... SILENT! No other car does that that's street legal and crash tested. So that "Sounds" great to me... especially as a daily driver which is subject to police intervention... which my lotus is. People here have gotten tickets driving the speed limit becuase there revs were up. Merry Christmas!

Outside my price range unfortunately, but it's performance profile is better than the elise as far as i'm concerned, for my use... to bad i don't like how it looks, but i'd settle for it's looks if i could afford it for how i drive my elise everyday. If it has the same trunk space (and space behind the seats) it would meet my needs better than the elise. Accept if it has power steering that would kinda suck. Honestly, my elise is plenty green for me. The "green" factor for the tesla is NOT the point at all in my opinion... sure it'll sell some cars for it, but they have to market it from every angle they can... why fault them for it? but it's not the real reason i think it's worth so much...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Reasons that make the Tesla different and therefore incomparable to the Elise (at least in terms of price)

First and foremost, the drivetrain is essentially one moving part. Apparently you don't even have to regularly change the oil. The only maintenance required are brakes and tires, and misc stuff like windshield wipers. Then there's the battery replacement at 125,000 +, but that's a whole different story.

Second, in terms of performance, the Tesla is a more powerful car and it weighs a bit more. It accelerates quicker but has a lower top speed (kind of counter intuitive from the regular perspective, but then consider that the motor is basically huge torque with minimal horsepower).

Third, it's a status car. People who want to go Eco friendly drive a Corolla (28 city 37 highway), people who want to look Eco friendly drive Prius (48/45) (keep in mind manufacturing costs, and toxicity of the battery, etc, but don't get into this argument, it's not worth arguing about anyway). As people have said, high profile people want to so that they can look good in the public eye.

Fourth, it's a status car. Come on, a new type of car that has better zero to sixty times than exotics, looks really cool, and it takes a huge amount of money just to get on the waiting list? Ignoring the green stuff from point 3, this car is for the seriously upper crust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts