The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only two weeks left until the first Elise hit the showrooms. Few here have driven the US car and none have driven the fully finished production car. As only a select few will actually receive a car in July most here will have to satisfy their Elise thirst with a ride in the demo car.
What are some of the things you are hoping to learn from your demo drive?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I want to see how I fit, how my feet fit onto the pedals, how hard it is to get in and out. I dont anticipate any disappointments but I have to be sure.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Power delivery. I must be getting old, because I've grown tired of engines that need to be flogged to get decent torque. My fervent hope is that the Elise will have good mid-range thrust due to its light weight.

The following is to illustrate what I'm after:

My first several cars were all Hondas -- loved 'em. As the weight of these cars increased with each redesign, I became more frustrated with their engines. Althought their power output was increased to keep pace with weight, the lack of torque in these small-displacemnt engines became more apparent. I recently owned a VW with their 1.8T engine and was very happy with the power delivery. I hope the flyweight Elise has this same torquey feel.

I know the Elise is not about straight-line speed, but I don't think a car needs to be bouncing off of the limiter to be fun.

Time will tell... :)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I will be highly unpopular for pointing this out, but I'll detail as much as I can since I'll be getting mine concurrently with the dealers. Also, anyone in the area can come over and take a look. Maybe a spin...(he said with a lump in his throat). Two others on the lists are already planning to do so.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Two weeks left? Where have I heard that before? Oh, right, from my dealer a month ago. Now it's two months left. :mad:

I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
As always, any info will be greatly appreciated. Although jealous, I'm sure we'll all be very happy for you when your baby arrives.

I would understand if the car has a velvet rope around it whenever it's not moving!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I want to see how the chip protection looks on the car. If there is a visible seam and it doesn't go very far up the hood, I probably will pass.

I'm not dying to test drive a demo. It would be too short to do more than whet my appetite for my car and wouldn't tell me anything that would alter my decision to buy one.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Derek said:
...none have driven the fully finished production car.
The car that a few of drove at Lake Tahoe was as close as I can think of to a finished production car! :)

I hope the flyweight Elise has this same torquey feel.
Tought to say and subjective. I think the car is still perky under the power band. It is not pin-you-back-in-the-seat acceleration below 6200rpms. But it's not slow. I drove a little bit in a Z-06 this weekend. THAT was torque.

I'll believe it when I see it.
The difference now is that there are a lot of the cars sitting on shore waiting for the word to be released. Not vaporware. For those of us waiting on LSS cars, I agree.... I will believe it when I hear more concrete info or see the cars.

there is a visible seam and it doesn't go very far up the hood, I probably will pass.
From a distance I don't think you can see the seam. But very close if you look for it you can.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I'm beyond caring about being pushed back and delayed. I'm holding my breath waiting for the dust to settle at Behlmann's in St. Louis and hoping that the new guy doesn't screw the ones on the list already.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
smile factor and eveness of power through revs

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
my favorite movie!!! So was it a dream or did it really happen?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Three things:

1) Acceleration/engine flexibility

2) Handling; and

3) How it feels driving while surrounded by monster Hondas and titan trucks. :)

I'd like to have two test drives. One during rush hour (to test #3) and one on a Saturday morning (to test #1 and 2).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
shay2nak said:
my favorite movie!!! So was it a dream or did it really happen?
Ignoring the technical inaccuracies (it's a move after all) - it happened... Or did it?:huh:

I think it did... Or do I?...;)

Tim Mullen

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
TimMullen said:
Ignoring the technical inaccuracies (it's a movie after all) -
Sorry, I can't. My inner engineer just screams out in protest when I saw this movie. :) It is a personal flaw and it only serves to lessen the experience for me. But I can't enjoy movies that have over-the-top technical errors.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Sorry, I can't. My inner engineer just screams out in protest when I saw this movie. :)
As an Aerospace Engineer with a great understanding of aerodynamics, physics, orbital mechanics, computers, etc., etc. , I long ago learned to ignore the technical flaws in movies - otherwise, you just can't enjoy them much.

My all time favorite movie is still "Star Wars" - best pirate movie ever made. They didn't try to explain the "science" they were using, they just used it (the floating land speeder was just another used car; and they didn't even try to explain "light speed"). But the physics of the "space battles" and the X-wing and Tie fighters was just ridiculous. But who cares. I've watched that movie more times than I want to admit...:clap: :clap:

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
758 Posts
What are some of the things you are hoping to learn from your demo drive?

Two things :

A) When pushed from a car at high speeds, does a dealer bounce, or roll?

B) Can the Elise can beat the police to the boarder?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Let me know...

Surferjer said:
I will be highly unpopular for pointing this out, but I'll detail as much as I can since I'll be getting mine concurrently with the dealers. Also, anyone in the area can come over and take a look. Maybe a spin...(he said with a lump in his throat). Two others on the lists are already planning to do so.
I'm number 18 in Philly (Rothrock) and I would enjoy meeting up with you at some point when you get the lovely beast. Also, let me know how Rothrock treats you. I have had good experiences so far with them.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
or even to a GED class

sorry, it was a joke

1 - 20 of 20 Posts