The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know the main kit is a cell phone and AAA card. :)

But really... I think a small tool kit makes a lot of sense, for simple things. It would be frustrating and silly to me, to be broken down and figure out it is just a loose connection, only to not have a screwdriver.

So, I put together a crappy toolkit in Walmart when travelling across country, but now am thinking of what this tool kit should really be.

The basic kit
1. Case for the kit. Something soft and small. One idea is the roll up tool kits. Another is just a very small bag.

The Holy Trinity of thing to hold stuff
2. Duct tape. A lot can be done with duct tape. Cracked clams can be temporarily mended. Same with hoses.

3. Small bit of baling wire. Just to hold things on, like a broken exhaust mount.

4. Cable ties. A few different sizes is good.

electrical problems
5. Bit of electrical wire.

6. Wire junction crimp terminals. A couple different types.

7. Spare fuses.

Tools
8. Screwdriver with different tips including Allen head drivers.

9. Wrench.

10. Small Vicegrips.

11. Needlenose pliers.

12. #17 socket (for changing rims..not sure if this makes sense).

13. Simple driver for the socket (see above. Will I be able to change tires?).

Other
14. Some spare change and some dollar bills in a small container. Handy if you get caught at a toll booth or gas station that does not take credit cards..or some other emergency.

15. Small first aid kit.

16. Bottle of water.

This is what I have, it sounds like a lot, but it really is pretty small. Anything I missed?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Yeah, I know the main kit is a cell phone and AAA card. :)

rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl

We have only used our AAA for our friends. Knock on wood:wallbang:

·
Registered
643 Posts
How about a spare oil cooler and a couple quarts of 5W40? :D

Seriously, I've found most cars only use a couple standard size bolts. On my Supra, it's 10, 12, 14 and 17mm. I'd much rather pack a few combination wrenches than risk destroying something with vice-grips.

Jim

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True. But Vicegrips can crimp terminals, hold wires together, act as a temporary vise, hold stripped bolts/nuts. I would still carry a set of Vicegrips.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Trivial question, but I have never owned a British car: Do they use metric bolts?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ConeFusion said:
Trivial question, but I have never owned a British car: Do they use metric bolts?
Yes. Use a metric Vice Grip!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Rather a pesimistic post... I've owned an Elise for a year and a half and never had any problems where i'd need a toolkit of any form or shape. They're not bad in terms of reliabilty. They're bad in terms of build quality. Things fall off, etc. I've not heard of any S2s actually breaking down. Yeah, maybe the electric windows will stop working but so what? The main problems on the S2 have been the alternators cooking and blowing. there is nothing you can do about this. I would say jump cables are fairly important but that's it.

Seriously though, the Elise gets alot of bashing and some peoples cars do very odd things but very very few S2s actually stop working altogether unless it's the alternator.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I carry a tyre pressure gauge and some clear cellotape for stonechips on the windscreen - tape keeps the chip clean so that repair is more effective.

I'm also thinking of carrying a simple tyre pyrometer.

Nev

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tonyyoshi said:
Rather a pesimistic post... I've owned an Elise for a year and a half and never had any problems where i'd need a toolkit of any form or shape.
Not really pessimistic. I own life insurance too. Don't expect to need it.

I have read reports of people on SELOC hitting something (or getting hit) and they use duct tape to hold the clam together so they could drive home.

NevB, Tire gauge is a good idea.

I am adding also a small knife or cutting tool.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I am adding also a small knife or cutting tool.
I was thinking swiss army knife .... includes a corkscrew!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Corkscrew and bottle opener should take care of absolutely any emergency at least from a beverage standpoint.
Chris;)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
A brass hammer, a leatherperson, and mandatorily... a pair of size 10WR visegrips. Buy the originals, not crapsman or other copy.
I'd would probably carry one of those smaller floor jacks that come in the plastic case. The factory jacks are all murderous little b*ggers.

Oh yeah... don't foget some sanitary wipes to wipe the spectator drool(highly corrosive) off the paint work.
m.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh I forgot one thing I do carry.

Goop hand cleaners in sealed packets. Very handy.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
ConeFusion said:
Most all modern cars are metric, including American cars.

As for British cars, my '64 Triumph TR-4 used "normal" bolts, my 72 Lotus Elan uses "normal" SAE bolts, the Elise is metric (it's a "modern" car).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
thegit said:
I'd would probably carry one of those smaller floor jacks that come in the plastic case. The factory jacks are all murderous little b*ggers.
The Elise doesn't come with a jack, and one of those smaller floor jacks in the plastic case would probably punch a hole in the side of the rear clam the first time you took a corner really hard...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Don't forget your condoms. They are light, don't take up much space and could save you thousands of dollars in repair bills. :wallbang:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You guys remind me of Slim Pickens in the movie Dr. Strangelove when he reads over the contents of the survival kit!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts