The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Having inspected my window, I came to the same conclusion. I didn't add any padding since tweaking the window angle seems to address it well enough, although somewhat temporarily. A more appropriate and permanent solution would be ideal.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
masheen -

That IS a heatshield and it DOES belong where you have shown it. Indeed it IS supposed to be removed and reinstalled during the Sector111 RTD Brace installation procedure.

xtn

·
Registered
806 Posts
but is cutting a piece out of it to make it fit expected? 'cause that's what i had to do.

i am also worried that the screws i just happened to pick up are not properly treated for automotive (corrosion-resistant) applications.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I do not know if it is "expected" but I'll say this: The RTD Brace installation does require that those bolts (the ones that mount the RTD Brace to the frame mount) are raised up from the factory location in an amount equal to the spacers included with the Brace plus the thickness of the Brace flange itself.

If the edge of the heat shield was close enough to the old bolt head that it would interfere with the new, higher bold heat location, then it would need to be trimmed up to clear. I do not KNOW if it is expected, but it seems likely.

I cannot see anything wrong with the way you trimmed it. It should still server it's purpose 100% and that is all that matters.

Cheap cad-plated hardware should not have any abnormal corrosion due to being threaded into a galvanized steel mounting point. I'm not saying it will never corrode, I'm just saying there wouldn't be any abnormal level of corrosion there.

xtn

·
Registered
948 Posts
Component: hard top panel
Problem: bumper pad worn or missing
Symptoms: loud rap or bang when car hits bumps

There are many places that the hard top can make noise. One that isn't immediately obvious is the rubber bumper pad located at the rear latch block. (See photo). If yours are worn or missing, the hard top will tap against the latch block and cause wear and noise. Lotus has a replacement kit.

What do you means by '' Lotus has a replacement Kit '' ???

I'm having a big bang rattle when I hit bump right behind over my head. I was sure it was the trunk ( engine cover ) shaking but now with this thread I'm thinking it could be the hard top roof my problem...

What should I do to check it ?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
What do you means by '' Lotus has a replacement Kit '' ???

I'm having a big bang rattle when I hit bump right behind over my head. I was sure it was the trunk ( engine cover ) shaking but now with this thread I'm thinking it could be the hard top roof my problem...

What should I do to check it ?

You can remove your hard top and see if those rubber pads are in place. If they aren't , try using a little piece of rubber in these locations to test whether they help. They shouldn't be very thick, maybe a couple millimeters or so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an increasingly annoying "noise" coming from under the driver's side doorsill. Hard to explain the sound - kind of like a swooshing sound. Anyone have this? Any idea what that could be? In addition to dashboard squeak and something from above/behind the passenger seat...

Do you guys have luck with the dealer fixing squeaks/rattles/other noises? My Elise is still under warranty... But I know that these things are part of the endearing qualities of owning a Lotus and have heard as much from the dealer.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Component: driver's-side seat rails
Problem: seat rails have been installed improperly
Symptoms: driver's seat has slight forward / rearward "play", clunk under braking or acceleration

((Photos to follow))

I recently got my Lotus and have the same clunk when accelarating/decelerating, it is very annoying as you feel the weight transfer from the seat. Initially i thought it was the seat rail that had too much play but i didnt know it could be installed incorrectly

Do you have any pics of the correct mounting location?

·
Registered
886 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an increasingly annoying "noise" coming from under the driver's side doorsill. Hard to explain the sound - kind of like a swooshing sound. Anyone have this? Any idea what that could be? In addition to dashboard squeak and something from above/behind the passenger seat...

Do you guys have luck with the dealer fixing squeaks/rattles/other noises? My Elise is still under warranty... But I know that these things are part of the endearing qualities of owning a Lotus and have heard as much from the dealer.
Any thoughts? The sill noise is a creaking/swooshing sound, if that makes any sense... Do you all have luck with this stuff at the dealer?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Next, unbolt the "U"-bracket that secures the shift linkage to the shear panel.

Here is a photo of the shear panel as seen from under the car:

And a photo of the car without the shear panel in place (never operate the car w/o the shear panel in place and properly torqued.)

How much torque do you use for refitting the shear panel?

Im planning a fuel-tank exchange later this summer and i cat seem to find this data.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm getting some noise out of the dash that seems to be resonating with the engine at ~1000rpm.

Also a different squeak/rattle out of the dash passenger side at random intervals.

Thoughts?

Could someone post a link to a thread on dash removal (or parts thereof) so I can start poking around and take a look?

(don't really mind that much but if it's fixable I'd rather do it than not) ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
the rattle in the dash could be a number of things from a loose screw/washer or simply a harness vibrating against something to a broken piece or tab sitting there rattling, your best bet is to take it apart and see what your cause may be.
as for the squeek its probably were two plastic tabs meet that generate the sqeeking sound. when you take it apart to try and find the source of the rattle try to put some fabric of some sort at the connection points, i like using adhesive backed velcro loop to eliminate squeeks.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Time to revive this thread...

I'm getting a horrible rattle from the Elise exhaust area at idle. It goes away at higher RPMs. It's worse when the car has just been started. Sounds like a loose shield, but I hoping it's not something internal in the exhaust.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Time to revive this thread...

I'm getting a horrible rattle from the Elise exhaust area at idle. It goes away at higher RPMs. It's worse when the car has just been started. Sounds like a loose shield, but I hoping it's not something internal in the exhaust.

Any ideas??

Pop off rear diffuser, check tightness of heat shields, then check the bracket bracing the exhaust manifold, it might have snapped.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've got an annoying "squeek" that occurs every time I go over any irregularity in the road. I've been trying to solve it since last fall and still can't locate the source. It appears to come from the right rear of the car and can be duplicated by bouncing the right rear corner of the clam. Sounds like it's coming from the suspension. I've had the pan and wheel liner off and retorqued the clam mounting bolts (except for the one behind the seat). retorqued the heat shield bolts. Shaking the exhaust system does not duplicate it and it does not seem to be coming from the engine cover. I've sprayed silicone (yeah, I know I shouldn't do that) on the shock bushings and spring seats with no effect, I've checked to be sure there's nothing that's slipped into the crevice around the edge of the clam in the boot and I've removed the tire inflator without improvement. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Can you pinpoint where it could be coming from? Could it be coming the seam around the door latch or possibly the passenger seat? Can you make the car squeak by rocking the car side to side? I really have no idea, but it sounds like you hunting in the right area. If it was me I really might try to duplicate the sound and try to listen for the exact location.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My shear panel has a little kink in it from where someone imporperly jacked up the car. I noticed that Lotus now has a new, redesigned shear panel kit. Would it make sense to get that and install it, or just take the old one off, and use a sledge hammer to pound it all flat again... (can one even DO that?) Upon reinstallation, would it make sense to use a thin bit of dynamat liner to isolate the shear panel from anything that might make it buzz?

How much torque do you use for refitting the shear panel?

Im planning a fuel-tank exchange later this summer and i cat seem to find this data.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts