The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Component: driver's-side seat rails
Problem: seat rails have been installed improperly
Symptoms: driver's seat has slight forward / rearward "play", clunk under braking or acceleration

((Photos to follow))

If your driver's-side seat has been removed and reinstalled improperly, it can cause a slight forward / rearward "play" under braking or acceleration.

There are four bolts that hold the seat rails to the chassis of the car: two at the front of the rails, and two at the rear.

Since there are extra threaded holes near the proper seat rail mounting points, it is possible to chose one or more improper mounting points when re-installing the seat.

If 3 of 4 bolts are in the correct holes, the two seat rails will no longer be parallel and this can cause the problem outlined above.

Thomas
This seems to be a problem with all drivers seats. How do you know if it's the issue above? My seat rocks about .3-.5" (as measured at the headrest)
Normal?

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,596 Posts
Component: hard top panel
Problem: bumper pad worn or missing
Symptoms: loud rap or bang when car hits bumps

There are many places that the hard top can make noise. One that isn't immediately obvious is the rubber bumper pad located at the rear latch block. (See photo). If yours are worn or missing, the hard top will tap against the latch block and cause wear and noise. Lotus has a replacement kit.

(Sorry reviving an ancient thread, but hey I used the search feature!)

My hard top on the drivers side had recently developed a rattle. It sounds like it's coming from right above me. I found this thread and added a little felt pad like is shown in the picture (mind didn't have any kind of rubber bumper or anything there) but still no luck.

Any other ideas on hard top rattle / noise from the driver's side?

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Adding to this thread as I've recently been on a mission to resolve some squeaks and rattles and creaks from my Elise.

Component: Clutch slave cylinder / clutch fork
Problem: Lack of grease at the clutch slave actuator rod and clutch fork. Also grease clutch fork spring under the boot
Symptoms: When you press the clutch pedal (even with the car not running) you hear a loud squeak which each press

A video is worth a thousand words, here is both the issue and the solution.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Component: Rod end bearings at end of shocks (where the bolts mount the shock to the chassis)
Problem: Over time and use, bearings will wear out and develop some play
Symptoms: Difficult to diagnosis clicking / squeaking / creaking sound, seemingly random, echoes through chassis

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Component: Swaybar bushings
Problem: Bushings get dry and cracked over the years and need to be replaced
Symptoms: Noises coming from front suspension, especially during cornering/turning as the swaybar rotates

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Another one I solved this weekend....

Component: Shift cables
Location: Center console / gearshift AND engine compartment on top of transmission
Problem: Shift cables need to be lubricated
Symptoms: Noticeable squeak when shifting (mine was 1st to 2nd gear only) SPECIAL NOTE easy to misdiagnose this as coming from the console but in my case after lubing all the cables inside the car, the problem persisted. With a second person, I was able to determine it was coming from the linkage on the transmission. I sprayed silicon lubricant and the noise is gone.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts