The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Interesting negative posts in there about the Toyota motor though. Is this not the very same company that created the 2JZGTE? Uh hello, the Supra's motor is one of the most potent blocks in the galaxy!

But a FYI, there was an article that I read where they stuck an Integra Type R motor in an Elise. No mods, tuning, etc. just motor. That Elise ran an 11 sec. 1/4 mile. Blew my socks off. Obviously using the Euro 1600 lb car but still. There's going to be some very interesting Elise's out there when they finally arrive. Guarenteed a few tuners are high on the list and we'll see some crazy Elise's soon follow.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well I am not surprised by the positive response over at the Z06 Board. Having spent many hours on that board myself as a Z06 owner I can tell you that these guys respect all good sports cars. They are really a good bunch of car enthusiasts and great people. :D

For me it's still a tough decision between the Elise, the new C6, or squeezing out the money for a 997 (great looks). The C6 is only marginally more than the Elise with that marvelous 400 LS2 engine. But in the end, the Elise has something the Vette will never have and that is a level of exclusivity that will turn heads everywhere.

Let's face it, how many times have you turned your head to look at a Vette. I own one and I don't.

I would even venture to guess that the Elise will command more attention and comments than the 997 at $30k more.

·
Registered
431 Posts
While being no slouch in the handling department, there is something else a Z06 doesn't have, the handling obtainable with a 1900 lb car:) But the Z06 is still a great combo of handling and hp, both will nicely coexist in my garage:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm actually still pondering getting a C6 as well. I love the new design and you can't beat the Z06 performance in the base package! :eek: But the way I see it is to get the Elise now which is highly sought after and very rare. It's a keeper forever.
Buy a used C6 or Z06 2 years down the line and save around $10K or so. Vette makes a better every day driver and still has a lot of fun factor.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I can see the similarities between the Z06 and Elise. Both strive for lighter weight and a more narrow focus on performance first and everything else second.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The Elise is no match for a well driven Z06 on most tracks. As the thread mentions - I've been on the track with Z06's at Road America and Gingerman. Road America is no contest with the long straights - the Vettes pass me at 165 while I'm cruising at 130.

At Gingerman, where I can run 1:36 on my stock suspension the Big Boys have to sweat a bit more. I'm mounting my new dampers and springs soon so we will see where they take me next time out. I'm betting on 1:33-1:34. The main problem with the stock sport suspension on the S1 Exige is that it is really under-sprung, which is why the S2 handles so much better - much stiffer springs. When I go to full slicks next year I hope to cut another 1-2 seconds off my time at Gingerman.

We'll see!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
amcmahon said:
I'm actually still pondering getting a C6 as well. I love the new design and you can't beat the Z06 performance in the base package! :eek: But the way I see it is to get the Elise now which is highly sought after and very rare. It's a keeper forever.
Buy a used C6 or Z06 2 years down the line and save around $10K or so. Vette makes a better every day driver and still has a lot of fun factor.
I'm going to buy a 2007 Z06. I spoke with Dave Hill up at the plant two weeks ago and he said in no uncertain terms that the new Z06 will be the fastest production car ever built in America.

"Faster than a Viper" I asked? "Faster than even the new Ford GT" he replied.

The 06 Z06 is not going to have the same punch at the 07, hold out for a year and you will get the real goods.

Unlike the C5 and the current Z06, Dave said the new Z06 is going to be radically different (Visually) than the C6.

I've got about $80K wrapped up in my Corvette, I will probably keep it along with the Elise when I buy the new Z06 three years from now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Originally posted by Joecooool

:eek:

Can't wait to see what the Z06 will look like. Glad to hear they are going to make it radically different than the standard C6. To get the kind of performance Dave is hinting at, I wonder if GM is going to go with a 10 cylinder. If not, it will probably be a 4-valve per cyclinder version of the LS6 V8. Either way, it's gonna have to make about 550 hp to be top dog in America.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Joecooool said:
Unlike the C5 and the current Z06, Dave said the new Z06 is going to be radically different (Visually) than the C6.
But where is it going to be priced? The current body style z06 has an MSRP of ~$52k and in reality one can be had now for ~$43k. I always thought one of the best arguments for the Z06 was the performance/dollar ratio.

With what you describe, it seems they'll be going after a whole different market, at a much higher price point. Much less impressive when you put it that way... an expensive car that's very fast isn't nearly as unique.

Best,
John

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I read in either Automobile or C&D that the Ford GT went 205mph last month. The cars seem to be delivering as promised. I saw a show on the cars development and it was a surprisingly informal process in a very short period of time. You'd think pieces would fly off ANY Ford at that speed.:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Some rumors are:

(last year) C6 Z06 will be 6.6 liters and 500 HP.

(last year) Chevy has a "Blue Devil" test mule that is 7.0 (427) that is running 600HP. Chevy was considering offering this at $100K

(this year) C6 Z06 will be 7.0 liters and 600 HP

Current Cadillac CTS-V is using LS6 engine @400 HP @~>50K

(last month) There is a 500 HP CTS-V testing at the 'Ring now

(this month) There is a 600 HP CTS-V testing at the 'Ring now and Cadillac will offer 500 copies of this version at $66K within 6 months.

All of these are NA motors and possibly 3 valves per cyclinder.

FWIW, the C5 Z06 was supposed to beat the Viper, but by the time it hit the showroom, the "win" was arguable. Chevy claimed it was a better "overall" car then the Viper.

A repeat performance of C6 Z06 versus Ford GT seems likely. Better "overall" may become the terminolgy again.

Looking forward to seeing it and you got to love the competition that keeps pushing these cars performance higher and higher!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
420HP said:
Looking forward to seeing it and you got to love the competition that keeps pushing these cars performance higher and higher!
And fuel efficiency lower and lower!!
;) Chris

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Joecooool said:
I'm going to buy a 2007 Z06. I spoke with Dave Hill up at the plant two weeks ago and he said in no uncertain terms that the new Z06 will be the fastest production car ever built in America.

The 06 Z06 is not going to have the same punch at the 07, hold out for a year and you will get the real goods.

I've got about $80K wrapped up in my Corvette, I will probably keep it along with the Elise when I buy the new Z06 three years from now.
I guess your sales guy has never heard of the Saleen S7. No doubt the new Z06 will be fast, however not Saleen S7 fast:

0-60 in 3.3 sec
quarter-mile 11.8 at 119.9 mph
Top speed 200 mph plus/

Road & Track Article

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Saleen does not qualify as a "Production" car.

And as for the comment above yours, my 600 hp Corvette just got 28 mpg from Kentucky to Florida last week.

·
Registered
259 Posts
420HP said:
Some rumors are:

(this month) There is a 600 HP CTS-V testing at the 'Ring now and Cadillac will offer 500 copies of this version at $66K within 6 months.

If it looks like this...

With the flares and all, I want one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts