The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the Elise is going under the "knife" so to speak - I work int he music industry and having a sound system that bad was just killing me - i dont' want a slamming bass shaking monster in my lotus of course - but I couldnt' stand even turning on the radio at all and on the fun windy roads i don't need music but just holding 65 on the highway - well i like my tunes! so the elise is having MB quartz speakers put in the front and back - the front ones will be component dual's - the woofer/tweeter combo - the rears will be co-ax woofers

where the passenger kick plate/foot rest thing is - we are building an 8in mini sub that will replace that triangle thing - but be about the same basic size - and then mounting a small amp in the trunk - shouldnt' add much weight but should give the sound system at least a normal build

now to spam some - my newest CD just came out today - this is one of the artists I work with and well I'm a bit excited about it - if you like rock/pop-ish song writer stuff it's really quite good - and of course supporting new artists is always a good cause right? anyway i appologize for the shameless plug but the more we sell online the more support we get from them....

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/gulde3

enjoy!

to learn more about the company i run it's http://www.taintedblue.com

i miss my leesy

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i am also having a sub box built (for 8" mbquart). it will be mounted in the volume above the footrest and attached to the footrest so the entire unit can be removed. i am having a JLAudio 300/4 amp installed behind the passenger seat (looks like it should fit just fine). I am replacing the blaupunkt dash speakers with some component speakers...either quart or something else. the dash speakers will run off 2 channels of the amp and the sub off the other 2 channels bridged. this is going to be similar to what i did in a spyder...and i anticipate outstanding sound quality. i am also having an xm roady 2 put in with the signal routed to the aux input of the blau...and the antenna under one of the front covers- non metal so it should work just fine there. if the signal is too weak i will move the antenna to the driver side edge of the dash. the roady will most likely sit below the controls at the center of the dash where there is a screw that can be used to hold a small bracket (or maybe just using industrial veldro. the power/signall/antenna connections will all be done with plugs thus allowing removal of the roady for use in rentals, etc. there is also an option of just letting the signal go to the head unit via the built in fm modulator but i suspect the aux will have significantly better high freqs than any fm signal could handle. i hope to have it completed by saturday. hopefully i can get pix along the way and will post some of the final result.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
What component speakers are you guys planning on using on the dash? I measured the factory speakers and it appears that 4" (maybe 4.5") speakers will fit the factory openings. A possible choice is Morel Integra Ovation:

http://www.morel.co.il/car.htm#

Disclosure: I am not associated with Morel or any other consumer electronic manufacturers and have absolutely no financial or any other interests in mentioning this company. I just think it may work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to add that I'm having the face plate changed to an alpine with built in XM and built in Ipod Integration

so all data shows up right on the face unit - including your ipod screen

very cool!

go buy the cd for your lotus :)

haha

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i forget the exact designations but there are 2 MBQuart options and an option from acoustic research x series or something. some are component speakers that have a separate tweeter. in one of them the gurus tell me sounds better if the tweeter is mounted at the center of the 4 incher. i can give you more specific info later. the MBquarts are more expensive but the guy doing the install who has done several systems for me insists the AR-X will sound better in this on-the-glass install. we are going to roll the sub in at a higher than normal freq due to using a 4 inch driver. btw i will not use anything in the behind-the-seat location unless i am dissatisfied with sound quqality using just the dash mounts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm doing the same thing, MBQuart premium speakers, alpine head unit with the ipod external interface (KCA-420i) I'm forgoing the xm radio, with the 40gb ipod I have (only about 1/2 full) I can play music for 35 days 24/7 without repeating a song. Not to mention I have a bunch of audiobooks on there too.

agent orange said:
I forgot to add that I'm having the face plate changed to an alpine with built in XM and built in Ipod Integration

so all data shows up right on the face unit - including your ipod screen

very cool!

go buy the cd for your lotus :)

haha

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I picked up some RF X152S's a few weeks ago. I haven't yet installed them. That will be a little project I work on over the winter. I hope to upgrade the entire audio system but will be trying to keep weight to a minimum. That means I will forgo adding a sub. I think if you choose your front and rear speakers wisely it is possible to get decent bass without adding a sub. Granted you won't be setting off any alarms as you drive by.

X152S

·
Registered
111 Posts
my theory on car weight involves total weight (including the driver), since I weigh about 145 and the average american male weighs 180, the extra 35lbs of amps and other stereo equipment will make my car weight "average".:D

Makes me wonder is perry's weight reduction plan included the atkins diet?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I won't tell her that you spelled Sara with an "h" - if you don't tell C that I haven't yet ordered the latest and greatest...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Granted you won't be setting off any alarms as you drive by.
I have my QS exhaust to set off the alarms! :D

I will be carefully mulling over my stereo options here. I'd like to keep a sub behind the seats and not clog up the trunk, so I may be looking at some fiberglass work...plus a component system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts