Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I did.

I made sure I'd never be troubled with the quirks of owning a Lotus.

Sunday morning, I put my father's CTS-V through a fence, and into a tree.

It just so happened to be the fence and tree of a local professional golfer.

The good news is - I'll probably get to meet him.

The bad news is, I owe my father something on the order of $33,000.

I've never worked so much in my life.

It's hell. Not to mention the shame and embarrassment of having to face my dad on this matter. Then there's his own anger, which is compounded every time he has to explain what happened to one of the locals.

Manual labor in the oilfield FTL.

Donations welcome. Every little bit helps. :(

·
Registered
852 Posts
Donations? Seriously??? That must have been some piss poor driving to go through a fence and then into a tree. . . on a nice note glad you are ok!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Can you say 5 teens in an M5?

Can people donate money to me? I need some as well

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Donations? Seriously??? That must have been some piss poor driving to go through a fence and then into a tree. . . on a nice note glad you are ok!
Well, I was in 2nd when I should been in 3rd. At around 40mph, in second gear, the engine was spinning at roughy 4-5k rpms. Torque band really kicks in starting at 3,500rpm. Gas on, tires spin, car rotates, tires catch, launched off road. Brakes slowed it down to about a 10mph impact. Miss the BIG tree, plowed through the wrought iron fence, skidded across some grass and nudged (as lightly as one can "nudge" in a 4,000 car" ) a small tree.

I emerged with a swollen left eye, a scratch on my arm from a flying object, and a rash on my neck from the seatbelt.

Dad is BEYOND pissed, but I didn't need to tell you guys that.

My life has taken a serious turn for the worse.

Work has completely consumed my life. There no time for the things I like anymore. Theater, a new passion of mine, is out of the question. I have no car. I have no insurance. My motorcycle, which I've just recently gotten the license to ride, is going to have to be sold to leverage some of the damage costs.

We had to cancel our deposit on the Z06. :(

The Elise is no longer an option. :(:(:(

Dad's anger comes in waves. One minute he's calm, and says it'll all be okay and we'll pull through, the next, the insurance guy or the body shop calls him with an update, and he gets pissed again.

I've raised $13 in donations, but I'll still be working the debt off for the next couple years.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do you have to cough up 33k? Was there no insurance?
We have a $1000 deductible. Until yesterday, I only owed $1000. Now the shop guys are saying the car looks totaled, but they're not sure yet.

The $33,00 represents the totaled value.

An a side note, I did get to glimpse my second real-world Ferrari. A grey 575 passed by twice after I'd put it through the fence.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My life has taken a serious turn for the worse.
You are still alive, so not really. Lesson learned. Deal with it and move on. You can still get an Elise, you just might have to work for it. Keep in mind you did this damage in a 4000lb car. Imagine doing it in a fiberglass 2000lb car.

I think you should be smiling and happy about the lesson you just taught yourself because you are still here to smile about it.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Both you and Will hit a tree.

It could have been worse.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
you got 13k in donations??

and why the hell would you come on here asking people to give you money for a stupid mistake that you made...that takes some balls...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Im really surprised the responses have been this nice.

Hardest you have ever worked? Try working to put your way thru college, not just working to repay your father for a $50,000+ toy...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are still alive, so not really. Lesson learned. Deal with it and move on. You can still get an Elise, you just might have to work for it. Keep in mind you did this damage in a 4000lb car. Imagine doing it in a fiberglass 2000lb car.

I think you should be smiling and happy about the lesson you just taught yourself because you are still here to smile about it.
Oh, I'm thankful to be alive, no doubt.

Dad's just cutting me NO slack. He went from driving a $53,000 luxury sedan, his first big purchase and pride&joy after starting his own business, to having to put-put around in our spare 1998 Acura Integra, since my HHR is in the shop.

It's extremely demeaning for him. I wish it could've been my car I wrecked, because then it wouldn't have affected his dignity so much.

Lesson learned though, that's for sure.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you got 13k in donations??

and why the hell would you come on here asking people to give you money for a stupid mistake that you made...that takes some balls...
Not sure if I made a type or not, that's Thirteen Dollars.

Not seriously asking for donations, the money I got was just from some people who I've bought lunch for before and such.

Appreciate the positive feedback though.

Who knows, one day, I might get to write a book called "How to meet a pro golfer"

Of course in the book, I'll recommend the use of slightly cheaper cars.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
We have a $1000 deductible. Until yesterday, I only owed $1000. Now the shop guys are saying the car looks totaled, but they're not sure yet.
Maybe it isn't relevant, but I'm still confused. If it's totalled, you get a big fat check minus deductible. You saying that you guys were $33,000 upside down on the car?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Dad will also get over it. He also may be mad/upset over other things than just the damage to the car, even if he does not express it.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Maybe it isn't relevant, but I'm still confused. If it's totalled, you get a big fat check minus deductible. You saying that you guys were $33,000 upside down on the car?

Still wouldn't make sense. So yeah... confused about that too.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
:popcorn:

It's in your future... I see... a bicycle.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I'm just curious, how old are you? Just pay the deductible and any increase in rates that were attributed to this event and tell your dad to go buy a new car if it's totaled.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still wouldn't make sense. So yeah... confused about that too.
Not too sure how exactly it works out.

I know the car wasn't completely paid for.

Estimates keep coming in from the shop, so the official tally of what I owe isn't in yet.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
And just a side note... and only my opinion. But dignity does not come from the car you drive.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.