The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Just finished watching it.

The Radical was awesome! I'd like to rent one for a track day!

Won't talk about the VX-220 or the Boxster, just can't believe they didn't even drive the Elise.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry...called "5th gear"

-did not do much with the elise however they took a Radical out and really ripped it around the track.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
offroadr35 said:
watching it now. It was obviously filmed before the 111R was available.
When driving the Audi TT-like vehicle into the building, the female reports said, "It screams 2003." :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
NtflBlueLiz said:
Won't talk about the VX-220 or the Boxster, just can't believe they didn't even drive the Elise.
That was the 111S. In another episode with a VX vs. 111R head-to-head comparison, the Elise narrowly edged out the VX, despite the VX having more power and smoother power delivery (the 111R felt more like a turbo than the VX).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
However old it is doesn't matter, Its just a treat to be able to watch Fifth Gear here in the states, hope we get some more of the british car shows. They have a great mixture of comedy mixed in with the car stuff.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
was this the same episode that the guy drove a TVR Tamora and then a Boxster S on the track? I saw this one last night.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It's sitting on my DVR right now. I caught the end live. I can't believe they chose the Box. I love mine but I'd give lots of money to swap it for a road legal Radical :D
I think my wife would disagree though :D

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
rbullett said:
I was surprised that they picked the Boxster as best.
They picked the Boxster because it was the car that was sporty but you could live with on a day to day basis, and not just best performance (acceleration/handling/braking/feedback).

Because practicality was/is a factor, I think the Elise, VX, and S2000 wouldn't do so well. I don't really know enough about the TVR to say. It probably would have been down to the Boxster or Z4.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
So really, what can a boxster do as a daily driver that my elise doesn't do for me as a daily driver, I can haul a weeks worth of groceries, I can carry a passenger...............and I look dayum good doing it!
Chris

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yeah, but how agile were the people testing these cars? In the Elise, if you don't have both hands free to hold on when getting in you will either scratch the car or end up looking quite uncoordinated. I would love to see a candid video of people getting into Elise's for the first time or with things in their hands. Heck, I could juggle eggs while getting in a boxster. This issue probably hurts the Elise's experience when people who don't get it try to get in. Again, the car isn't meant for many but thats just fine with me.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I missed the first half of that show ( was on last night too) but I DID see that little TT look alike car.

That woman testing it complained about how "hard" it was to put the top up and down. She demonstrated. It took like 15 seconds. It was EASY!!!! And they say Americans are lazy asses. :no:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
So really, what can a boxster do as a daily driver that my elise doesn't do for me as a daily driver...
Well, it can hold about 9 cubic feet of cargo, warm you butt on cold nights, tell you how many miles till your out of fuel, conveniently put the top up or down with a touch of a button, open either trunk with a touch of the button, open or close either window with a touch of a button, and it can keep pizza warm in the rear trunk and beer cool in the front trunk. :p Not to mention it's a softer ride and is easier to see.

Then again, pretty much any car can do this, which is why I like the Elise - it's focused on doing one thing exceptionally well instead of trying to be a best-of-both-world car. But to most people, best-of-both worlds is what they're looking for.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Next thing you know the vehicle will do all the thinking for us too, which is an option we need now in view of how crappy american drivers are.

Seriously I don't consider any of those capabilities the least bit necessary. That's the trouble with all these so called sports cars out there, bloated whales with cupholders, heated seats, retractable wet bars.........................

Chris;)

·
Registered
687 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Next thing you know the vehicle will do all the thinking for us too, which is an option we need now in view of how crappy american drivers are.
It'll be here sooner than you think.

In California, driving a group of cars bumper-to-bumper at high speed (100mph+?) hands/feet-free on a modified freeway (magnets in the lane?) has already been done.

Our military (DARPA) is giving away $2million to whoever develops a vehicle that can traverse the quickest ~175 miles of terrain completely driverless (not even by remote control). (No one claimed the $1million prize from this year because no one completed the course.)

I believe it's Toyota who has a car that can parallel park itself.

Cars already have gadgets like traction/stability control, lane departure warning systems, automatic climate control, and automatic volume control (your Blaupunkt has this but isn't hooked up in the Elise). And automatics have been thinking for people for a long time.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts