The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

The Elise may be getting old, but it's such an amazing car

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Robocop305 
#1 ·
I've had my 2007 Elise since 2009 and I've been driving the hell out of it all these years. After baby came, and I didn't drive it much any more, I was thinking of getting rid of it, but just couldn't let it go. I've got more than 15,000 track miles on this car, and about 40,000 street miles, and took it to the track again, and man oh man, did Lotus build an amazing car. I still love the little thing after all these years, even though it's no longer as competitive with other road going cars as it used to be. I still managed to pass a Porsche GT2RS being driven poorly by driving at 10/10 and raging a little bit :) Anyhow, after 10 years of owning this car, I still love it. I'm attaching a couple of photos from a beautiful, green spring day at Thunderhill Raceway in CA, which is normally a dull dry hay color, and including a photo of the Elise's little cousin.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think about selling mine every once in a while, but a short drive reaffirms how unique and irreplaceable (without a crazy budget) these little cars are.

Reactions: marcinr
#3 ·
Roger that. My re-affirmation was today at the Mazda dealership where I was picking up maintenance items for my wife's CX-5. A woman waiting for her husband in service remarked " what kind of car is that?" as I pulled up. "It's the prototype for the 2020 Miata!" I exclaimed. "They finally got it right!" she replied. "I can't pull your leg mam. This is a Lotus Elise and the style your admiring hasn't really changed in 25 years". She had no comeback as I entered the parts department feeling all satisfied with my car.

#4 ·
Marcin I feel the same way! Great photo, the inside front wheel still stays planted.

Attachments

#5 ·
Funny that this came up around now.

When I saw my car in a parking lot last month, I was still so very happy about its looks.

More importantly, today I got in a nice ride. These are still brilliant cars.

And, less importantly, for me very comfy. Once spent 18 hrs from FL to NJ, it was pretty damn easy.

(I realize that there may not be a suitable replacement in future. I'll be fine.)

Thx, guys.

#7 ·
I have these thoughts while it’s in storage during the winter months.... but as soon as the spring/summer comes and get her out for a drive, it all goes away and back in my honeymoon phase. Love it when I can drive it, hate it when I can’t haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Glad you're still having fun! I have had mine only 6 years, but the only cars that have put as big of a grin on my face are the Porsche GT3 and S2000. You just can't beat the performance per dollar of the Elise/Exige!

#10 ·
Great pix! :up::up::up:

Lotus have built a classic. Like the 7, the 111 platform will continue to be a fun car for decades with a bit more safety and practicality vs. the 7. My first one arrived in Nov 2004 and I've yet to get tired of it. Are there faster cars? Yes. Are there more exotic cars? Yes. But none match the overall fun sports car experience of the 111 platform. At any price.

You all know I'm enamored with it! :D

#14 ·
Had these thoughts... acted on them... returned to my old car (first in an elise, then to my actual old Exige... see signature)

I had Lotus 7s, drove friends other cars, and I just am in love with the way these cars drive, street, autox, and track. And for me, to be able to do all of that, under 2,000 lbs, with doors, a roof, a radio, and HVAC (not the best of either, but bare with me, I had Lotus 7s), it's amazing.

#15 ·
Dude, I love the your color!!! Is that Laser blue? BTW, I've had the same thoughts. Test drove more "comfortable sports cars" but nothing touches the magic of the Lotus... I know I know, sounds cheesy AS f$*&

#18 ·
A nice error in car business... what a fantastic car, and a very nice platform to be modified. And so cool to drive. I also own a Focus RS, considered like an extreme everyday car, and a fantastic car on track... and just so doll on track compared with the lotus.

#20 ·
I've have had my 2005 Elise since 2007. Haven't driven much lately, about 4 months - feeling a bit guilty. Busy with work, have take home vehicle, travels, and doing a lot of off-roading with my modified GX 460 - a total anti-Lotus beast and different thrills.

Recently, have fleeting thoughts of letting go my Elise but just not quite there yet. I've invested so much time, money, and energy making the Elise uniquely my own. And know that I will never get a chance to own/drive such an amazing direct-feel car again. However, whenever I got behind the steering wheel, the boyish grins and happy feeling consumed me all over again.

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks, I customized everything. The steering wheel is NRG flat bottom wheel 320mm but I also hammered and flattened the top also. Wanted an F1 look. Had Momo alcantara flat bottom before but it's either too big 350mm or too small 280/300mm. Also tried an all CF wheel but didn't really like it.

RST-009R-RS : Flat Bottom, 4mm spoke, Leather with red stitch

I'm curious how much would my Elise go for nowadays @88K miles (or something like that) - mods are a mile long top to bottom, front to back! Hmmmm....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.