The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, only time will tell. I wouldn't hold my breath though. Lotus doesn't have the money and the Exige, Elise, and Evora are selling. I think it would be a travisty to scrap the Esprit.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Wasn't the car already going to be out of date by the time they would have gotten it out?

Hope Lotus gets lucky and gets sold to someone that will keep it going.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I thought the new Esprit's rear end was absolutely hideous, but I'm truly sorry for those of you guys that were lusting after it. Sorry fellas.

·
Registered
736 Posts
How about Toyota. They already use their motor and tranny in their cars. Might as well.
That was the original idea. It would have been out already if they didn't go back to the drawing board to create an in-house V8 for it instead. Then Bawhore got axed and it looks like the Esprit is going down with him.
Didn't the same representatives of Lotus say there's nothing wrong at Lotus and everything will commence as usual? They also said nothing was wrong with Bawhore and he's not suspended or fired, at the time. Should we believe them this time when they say the Esprit is not axed? I won't. Too bad, it looked good, IMO. It's already been said earlier that the whole new 5 model line-up is scrapped.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree madman. The Esprit has gone the way of the dinosaurs. We can just be thankful that we own a piece of history.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Personally, I think its better the Esprit does not come back.

Lets look at any "re-incarnations" as of late.... The Camaro... the Challenger... my God remember the "new" Thunderbird? F50? MASSIVE disappointments for those who were expecting the romance of a classic car.. but getting the reality of a corporate-washed new car.

Its that same with a few other greats... how can you re-create an FD3S RX7 with an RX8? Why would Toyota even THINK about bringing the Supra back?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wasn't the car already going to be out of date by the time they would have gotten it out?

Hope Lotus gets lucky and gets sold to someone that will keep it going.
The last Esprit (2004) was a car still based off of its original design from the seventies? :shrug:Talk about out dated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The last Esprit (2004) was a car still based off of its original design from the seventies? :shrug:Talk about out dated.
Which makes it all the more impressive that it could hold its own against contemporary rivals from Maranello. I'd rather have the road manners of the Esprit versus the F355 or F360.

I was looking forward to the new Esprit, especially if it was based on the Evora chassis units. I rate the Evora's handling enormously and were it not for the overall look and impractical trunk I would have had one in a heartbeat.

The idea of the Evora derived chassis plus serious V8 and better styling.... I'd probably put a deposit down now if it really was confirmed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Which makes it all the more impressive that it could hold its own against contemporary rivals from Maranello. I'd rather have the road manners of the Esprit versus the F355 or F360.

I was looking forward to the new Esprit, especially if it was based on the Evora chassis units. I rate the Evora's handling enormously and were it not for the overall look and impractical trunk I would have had one in a heartbeat.

The idea of the Evora derived chassis plus serious V8 and better styling.... I'd probably put a deposit down now if it really was confirmed.
I have a 2011 Evora great car IMO still prefer the Ferrari 430 & 458. I had a 360 F1 and it was much better than a Esprit but at a cost$$$. If the Evora S cost 92k and a GTE cost 130K+ then a V8 Esprit based off the same frame would be well over 150k -eek-

·
Registered
736 Posts
^ Yup, yet another angle to look at. Even if it did come out, how many would buy one?
I guess it's too early to really tell what DRB has planned for Lotus. Maybe they have a master plan to bring Lotus up in the world to greater levels, either that or crash it into the ground. Hopefully they do something good with it or someone else steps in to buy it off their hands and provide more of a global offering of Lotus. Right now all of N.America has for a Lotus option is an Evora. That's pretty sad. Don't think the new Elise made it over here yet if I'm still in the loop. To offer only one car to all of N.America, while Europe gets the Evora, Elise, Exige and most of the special editions, is ridiculous.
At least if the Esprit came out, there would be another option than the limited model line up that they have.
I wonder if Fiat ever considered acquiring Lotus. They took over something around 6 car companies already, one of which being Ferrari. They have some deep pockets.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The new ExIge S is nice. V6 supercharged with 350 hp. Longer wheelbase. Too bad USA is not getting this car.
Agreed. Doesn't make sense to leave North America out of the loop on this one. They just leave us with the Evora to chew on. If they looked at their marketing successes, they'd see that the Elise and Exige sold pretty good in North America. Not super amazing, but good enough,.....and better than the Evora. Why strip that from the offerings to us and leave us the Evora, the less popular option? If they gave us the new Exige and Elise they'd probably be selling more cars right now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree. I like the new exige S. Same hp as the v8 esprit but quicker and lighter. They need to bring that car to the US.

Agreed. Doesn't make sense to leave North America out of the loop on this one. They just leave us with the Evora to chew on. If they looked at their marketing successes, they'd see that the Elise and Exige sold pretty good in North America. Not super amazing, but good enough,.....and better than the Evora. Why strip that from the offerings to us and leave us the Evora, the less popular option? If they gave us the new Exige and Elise they'd probably be selling more cars right now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I really liked the new models the first time....

when they were called 2005 Lamborghinis!

:)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Personally, I think its better the Esprit does not come back.

Lets look at any "re-incarnations" as of late.... The Camaro... the Challenger... my God remember the "new" Thunderbird? F50? MASSIVE disappointments for those who were expecting the romance of a classic car.. but getting the reality of a corporate-washed new car.
back?
Negative.. The Camaro and the Challenger doesn't appease to the .000001 percent of people who cared about how it use to look and drive. This is a new year. If you're looking at what a company looks at, which is success, then the Camaro, Challenger, and the Mustang are big successes in terms of sales. This would have been the same with the Espirit. And it's IMO the biggest reason why Lotus is going down the toilet. Stubbornness... from a smart company standpoint, they should have said F! the .00001 percent (which is pretty much the members of this forums) when building the Elige. It needed more power and size. They looks are good.

You can't even blame only the US for wanting more size and power, the whole world did. When the 26k Ford Taurus has 365hp and the 92k Evora S has 345hp, that's just laughable any way you slice it.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Well said, Monsta..

Any successful business needs to Take care of business first (ie make money). Then you'll have plenty of money to play with to cook up whatever crazy concoction you want to stir the media. Porsche didn't become a powerhouse selling ultra high performance sports cars.. They became big selling big fat SUVs and automatic versions of their sports cars.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts