The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only thing I struggle with is that it's so much heavier than the Elise. 900 pounds more than the original car on virtually the same chassis. Power vs weight, hmmm. I guess it doesn't really matter because I can't buy one anyway.

·
shay2nak
24,997 Posts
isn't it 2400 lbs? That's almost 400 lbs more than the S2 Exige. A lot more power and especially torque. Not to mention it shouldn't be difficult to get over 400hp in that car. So 400 lb penalty doesn't sound like much especially when you could lose at least 100 lbs replacing carbon body panels, exhaust system, battery, etc.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I wish someone would produce reasonably priced reproduction body panels. It would be fun to build your own with a more mod friendly engine.

I suspect oem clams and lighting would cost as much as a used elise.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
The only thing I struggle with is that it's so much heavier than the Elise. 900 pounds more than the original car on virtually the same chassis. Power vs weight, hmmm. I guess it doesn't really matter because I can't buy one anyway.
In fairness the original car had 118BHP vs the 345BHP of the new car. Sort of like the WWII Spitfire; the original had a touch over 1,000HP and weighed 4,300lb. By the end of WWII the MKXIV had 2,000HP but weighed in at 6,600lb.

PS: I didn't know those numbers off the top of my head ;) Supermarine Spitfire variants: specifications, performance and armament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Less is Better
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
isn't it 2400 lbs? That's almost 400 lbs more than the S2 Exige. A lot more power and especially torque. Not to mention it shouldn't be difficult to get over 400hp in that car. So 400 lb penalty doesn't sound like much especially when you could lose at least 100 lbs replacing carbon body panels, exhaust system, battery, etc.
What makes the Exige unique is it's low weight. Add power and weight and the uniqueness goes away. Porsche, Ferrari, even Corvette have fast cars, but they can't get close to 2000 pounds. The weight is what makes this car fun all the time.

·
shay2nak
24,997 Posts
What makes the Exige unique is it's low weight. Add power and weight and the uniqueness goes away. Porsche, Ferrari, even Corvette have fast cars, but they can't get close to 2000 pounds. The weight is what makes this car fun all the time.
...and it's small size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts