The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month in, and here's my bullet point report on life with my Chili Red Elise.
1) It brings joy: Not just to me, but to every man woman and child I encounter. In these difficult economic times, it provides a diversion to the masses like the wacky hellzapoppin' musical revue movies did during the depression. At least thats what I want to believe.
2) It's the driver, stupid: So, I took the wisdom extolled here and decided to upgrade my driving skills before I upgraded the car. I attended the Skip Barber 3 day MX-5 racing school at Sebring. I had done one day courses at Lime Rock and, years ago, at Bridgehampton, but this one was serious sheet, and really paid off. As a long time Miata owner, I found a new level of respect for the NC MX-5's by the way. Tough, gritty, balanced and fun cars.
3) Track Day: Sweet Mystery of Life At Last I've Found You: I'm a member of the NJMP drivers club, and while my Miata and Infiniti provided some fun last year, the Elise makes it real. I know I'm preaching to the choir here.
4) Everything Else: Shifter sucks, radio's a joke, and all the other things covered here for years. And there is no excuse for some of the ergonomic and quality shortcomings. But it's part of the charm and the bargain, and I get it now.

So, I'm happy. Forced induction to follow.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
good to know you're enjoying the car. :up:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Sounds like you're got the car figured out... :up:

When did you drive Bridgehampton? I drove it on a corporate boondoggle with Skip Barber back in '98 just before they closed it down and turned it into a golf course. It was one of the great American racetracks... :sad:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you're got the car figured out... :up:

When did you drive Bridgehampton? I drove it on a corporate boondoggle with Skip Barber back in '98 just before they closed it down and turned it into a golf course. It was one of the great American racetracks... :sad:

APK, that's exactly what I did and about the same time, with AdWeek magazine. Thrilling and sad, as it deserved a much better fate than to become a golf course. What history.

Speaking of history, one of my instructors at Skip Barber Sebring was Pete Argetsinger, son of the late Cameron Argetsinger, arguably the father of American road racing via his founding of the Watkins Glen race. Pete is a hugely accomplished driver and a very interesting guy, very generous with his stories, anecdotes and insight.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I did a HPDE (Well, they don't call it HPDE back then) at Bridgehampton also and it was before there was any news of tearing it down. It was a great track with lots of elevation and its a shame that it had to suffer this fate. At least we have NJMP now :clap:.

·
Registered
478 Posts
4) Everything Else: Shifter sucks, radio's a joke, and all the other things covered here for years. And there is no excuse for some of the ergonomic and quality shortcomings. But it's part of the charm and the bargain, and I get it now. ...
Here you go: LETSLA Shift Linkage :nanner:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts