The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look, I'm from Maryland. Even though Michael Phelps has been training in Michigan for the last four years, and no longer really lives in Maryland, for no real rational reason we (MD residents) all 'claim' him as ours.

But....he most definitely did NOT out touch that Serbian guy in the 100M Butterfly tonight. I don't know what tapes the judges were looking at for the protest, but Phelps flat out lost that race. Even the homey announcers, looking at the same tape the judges looked at, freeze framed, said it looked like Phelps didn't win.

But he's wearing gold medal # 7.

I wanted him to win, but this is a shame, a downright shame.

Going to the Ravens/Vikings game tomorrow night. Ravens have announced that when Phelps races in his 8th gold medal race, they will allow all fans down onto the field if they want to come, to watch the race on the Diamond Vision and celebrate en masse Maryland's favorite son (well, after Cal).

After watching that travesty tonight, not gonna watch tomorrow's race. Will be walking to the car when that 'race' is going on.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Gotta disagree. I was shocked as hell to see him declared the winner because it sure looked like Cavic touched first. BUT - they showed over and over that Cavic glided into the wall and Phelps took an extra half stroke and slammed into the wall. Don't let off the gas unless you're on the brake.

No way a naked eye can tell - let alone through all that water.

I have no choice to defer to the sensors and the automatic timing equipment. If we start questioning that, autocross is history. We'd always think that the noisy car that is all over the place is going faster (bad analogy, I know).

I was a bit sick of all the Phelps drooling going on leading up to the games (only Marylanders can comprehend how this kid has been forced down our throats every minute of every day), and I wasn't even really concerned if he won any medals .... but after watching his swims, he's won me over. Hard not to like him & hard to deny his incredible talent (even if doublejointed knees seems a bit unfair).

I'll be at the Ravens game tomorrow night too. Not sure I'll be staying until the end though. It is pre-season, after all.

You taking the Lotus? :no:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I was a bit sick of all the Phelps drooling going on leading up to the games (only Marylanders can comprehend how this kid has been forced down our throats every minute of every day)
I live in Austin. We have Lance Armstrong, and I'm sure he's nice...but get a lot of him, even if he's not a racer anymore.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
who really cares as long as it benefits America...

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Cavic glided too far. Omega did in fact look into the equipment and the videos. Phelps won fair n square, by the slimmest of margins.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cavic glided too far. Omega did in fact look into the equipment and the videos. Phelps won fair n square, by the slimmest of margins.
Not buyin' it. Saw the tape over and over....don't care if the guy glided in or not, he touched first. Phelps knew it too, you could tell by the surprised faces he was making immediately after the race.

Actually, it didn't even look close or in question.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Even though Michael Phelps has been training in Michigan for the last four years, and no longer really lives in Maryland, for no real rational reason we (MD residents) all 'claim' him as ours. I'm from Maryland.
You didn't watch the news tonight. It's their duty to inform us all that Phelps just bought a newly constructed 3000 sq. ft. high-rise condo in Fells Point for a cool $1.7 million. Not bad for an educator's son who has never really held a job of any note.

I guess there is good money in swimming.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Given the following:

1) Swimming is a technical sport, where things links this are closely measured
2) The video is widely available
3) Cavic and his people care

...the truth will come out tomorrow. After that, don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Phelps won. Simple as that. Cavic reached to early and came up half an inch short as Phelps was reaching. I saw the replays over and over again. I can't believe there would be any question.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phelps won. Simple as that. Cavic reached to early and came up half an inch short as Phelps was reaching. I saw the replays over and over again. I can't believe there would be any question.
I agree, except the replays I saw over and over, freeze framed, had Cavic touching first. The announcers saw the same tapes I saw, and concluded the same thing.

Didn't see the tapes you're talking about.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I replayed the finish high-def in slow motion several times, and it did look like Phelps won when he threw his arms forward into the wall on the last stroke. Certainly nothing to suggest the timing equipment wasn't working right, or was somehow incorrect.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
great video

·
Registered
357 Posts
I swam for years. The issue here is that touching the touch pad and triggering the timing mechanism are slightly different - takes more force and a deeper touch. That and .01 is too close for your eye to differentiate. I saw it, it looked too close to call and Phelps won. This is not a situation where you get an 8.5 from the Canadian judge.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Water distorts the view of anything in it. It would be hard to tell, especially with the shadow from the wall, exactly when point of contact occurred. Which is why they use an electronic sensor to detect when it happened.

Phelps finger did hit the end of that pool first wether it looks that way or not.

Everyone loves a good conspiracy, but there is none here... Phelps is the man!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
if you look at the underwater video(the one tracktime posted) its is totaly obvious that phelps won

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
wtf the video is no longer available

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
phelps is an American. Calvin is a Serb. Unless you are a Serb too, stfu and be happy someone is bringing home the gold.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Phelps wins, End of Story.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xG0KSEDgoQA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xG0KSEDgoQA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The race is really close, yet indisputable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts