The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the good:

I got a call from Mark Starr at HRM that my car was in:clap:

I was able to leave work early, get to the bank, and go get the car.They were nice enough to stay late for me...

The delivery could not have gone smoother....Thanks guys

:clap:

The car is of course incredible....and the drive home was awesome except curvy roads now don't seem curvy:D

The bad news:

when I got home and got out of the car, I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the rear grill, around the license plate. I opened the back and there was some smoke coming from under the right (passenger side) of the engine. Not a lot, but some, and it lasted a good 10-15 minutes.

So far I don't see any fluids dripping under the car - ?oil leak; anyone have any other ideas???

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yikes.

Just a thought... not a real diagnosis... sometimes you get stuff from manufacturing burning off. You can smell it.

But visibile smoke? :confused:

It could simply be that someone spilled a little oil and when the engine/manifold got hot, it burned off. Does it smell like oil?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kind of smelled like burning plastic actually....

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Congrats Cory!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The smoking thing is nothing to worry about, my 1974 Elite does that too. It's a Lotus thing:D

Honestly, it's hard to say without seeing it but it could be like Randy said, a bonding agent/other construction muck burn off or possibly, in light of recent postings, a oil cooler leak.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Think the dealer pulls the undertray as part of the PDI, or maybe the factory left something in there. Had talked to one of the designer at the LA show. They put in alot of heat shielding, otherwise, the bodywork started to melt (well at least heat damage). My guess something is in there that shouldn't be. All part of owning a Lotus. :p . Congrats on taking delivery.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the pleasures of Lotus ownership! I think we need to start getting some stats on how many people have cars on EliseTalk. Randy, how about a badge or asterik or something to identify listers that actually have a car? that could be helpfull for new people who don't know who does and doesn't have a car.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the undertray idea -especially since the smoke was coming out the back grill.... Maybe Lotus left me something special:D

I looked all around the engine with a super bright flashlight but didn't see any evidence of anything having leaked...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
ivan1 said:
I like the undertray idea -especially since the smoke was coming out the back grill.... Maybe Lotus left me something special:D
Yeah.. about that free hat

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here is smokey

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Congrats (great color)!

Hope the smoking ends up to be nothing consequential. Enjoy! :clap:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Congrats:)

Who would have thought we would have got our cars on the same day:D

Go get the Stage II Tuesday:clap:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
ivan1 said:

The bad news:

when I got home and got out of the car, I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the rear grill, around the license plate. I opened the back and there was some smoke coming from under the right (passenger side) of the engine. Not a lot, but some, and it lasted a good 10-15 minutes.

So far I don't see any fluids dripping under the car - ?oil leak; anyone have any other ideas???
Could be cosmoline. Depending on how they ship the cars, there may be some cosmoline residue on the engine.

My wife's Infiniti had a very noticable cosmoline smell for the first month or so.

ed

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I'd drop the undertray and diffuser just to have a look for something obvious. Can't say whether mine smoked, but it did have a smell initially.
Chris

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Modern Wedgie said:
Is that her/his name then? It's kinda funny and memorable if it is :)
well I hadn't planned on that name, but it does fit:D

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update on the smoking issue:

I ran the car for about 10 minutes this morning with no smoke. Took it for two 5 minute rides, no smoke.....went for a longer ride and when I got back there was a little smoke - stopped after 5 minutes though. Seems like something is burning off....I spoke to my dealer - I decided I would use it for a while over the weekend as it seems to be improving. If it persists I will have it serviced next week...

I may have them put the stage 2 on anyhow, after reading patricko's thread.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts