The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Exige has some horrific creaks. There’s really 2 that are unbearable, even with my BOE “quarter stick” exhaust which, by now, surely needs repacking and is absolutely deafening. Not even that ear-destroying sound can muffle the nails-on-chalkboard effect of these creaks.

They seem to be in the same spot and both appear to be plastic rubbing on plastic. Of course they’re behind the left ear of driver and right ear of passenger for maximum effect. Just next to the headrest.

Anyone have experience or tips on taking these? I’m thinking some disassembly and felt tape should do the trick?

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I think it's the roof. I've had luck using some silicone grease on joint surfaces, just a tiny bit. And shim the hooks that hold the rear of the roof down with 2mm felt tape to make the clamping tighter.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's the roof. I've had luck using some silicone grease on joint surfaces, just a tiny bit. And shim the hooks that hold the rear of the roof down with 2mm felt tape to make the clamping tighter.

Good luck!

The sound appears to be a bit lower than the roof

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Yes, there are parts of the plastic rear panel that also rub on the bodywork and frame on either side. If the car is old enough you will see the abrasion marks.

For that job you not just taking the roof off but also talking the seats out. I favor taking that panel out and leaving it out :)

I never use the radio, so the speakers are not needed...

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
Easy to get the seats out man. Plus will find a lot of bs under them. only 4 allen head bolts and they are out. Just don't cross thread or over torque when putting back in.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Totally. Just lift out with care (I put towels on the sills). Twist the seats as you remove so that they are facing rearward when you land them, that way the seat belts can stay attached. You'll find all sorts of fun stuff

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts