The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of the Lime Rock accident..... Who's using a Hans ? What model fits best in the Elise/Exige ? How does it attach ? How about putting together a group buy ? For the folks who are using them in the Elise/Exige; how about some pointers ? ( installation, etc )

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I wont get in my cars on the track w/o it.

IMO it should be the first thing a safety system is built around using.
start with the Idea," i will be using the HANS", and then make sure everything you do is done so that the system works as designed

get the correct seat, dont skimp on this, and a halo seat is a great choice.
in my current car with the halo and the HANS, I feel i am as well protected as i can be............then let the chips fall where they may.

installation angles of the harness etc.

you wont get any group buy on this item. they are sold for the same price regaurdless of the vendor.
if HANS finds out people are selling them for less than MSRP, they are no longer allowed to carry the item from HANS.

that said, I own 2 devices, a model 20, and a model 30. I got both on the internet used.
I had another model 20 that i got used, and sold it for the same price i paid 2 years later. the tether is really the only "wear item" on these. i would also highly recommend upgrading to the sliding tether for sedan usage. with this there is no restriction on head movement, and subsequent mirro usage.

the new models are cheaper, the heavier ones, and thats the one i got because its not like a heavy helmet, this is attached to your body.

best investment you can make.

I do believe the guy at LRP when he said he though he would be dead w/o the HANS, and the guy I saw this year crash in an FF hit a wall nearly head on was such a great impact that it sheared the harness bar right out of the car.
he had sent an email , months later after recovering saying that the device saved his life, he had no doubt about it.

Buy one before you need it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
i have the model 20 professional (carbon) with sliding tether. i bought it trackside from stand21 and received awesome service with assisted fitment in the car, some test runs, etc.

i too, will no longer get on the track without it. the device pinches my shoulders a bit when strapped down and it takes a few extra minutes to get ready before a session but these are minor inconveniences.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
HANS

In light of the Lime Rock accident..... Who's using a Hans ? What model fits best in the Elise/Exige ? How does it attach ? How about putting together a group buy ? For the folks who are using them in the Elise/Exige; how about some pointers ? ( installation, etc )
I have been using one for more than 2 years (along with a five point harness, fire extinguisher and full helmet). The first "upgrade" I did to my car once I moved into the advanced run groups. I see too many accidents at DE events....... mostly by people who drive beyond their skill level.

Never the less, my safety and my life is much more important then a CF wing or new shocks, etc.

Most new helmets are designed for a Hans. They either have the holes pre-drilled or come with the mounting attachment points. If you don't have competion harness (only OEM seatbelts) you can get a model that straps to your chest and attaches to your helmet.

The fit in the Exige S is snug, but completely acceptable (need to put Hans on the Helmet first, then get into car. Can't do it in the car seat). You already know your head won't fit out the open drivers window with a helmet on.....so the addition of the Hans is not changing anything here.

Go to the Hans web site to get some real data.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I have a HANS model 20L Professional with sliding tethers, which I use with a Shoei helmet (I had to drill and mount the tether attachment points), and the stock Exige seats.

It's comfortable enough that I have to check to make sure that it's on and properly attached before heading out on track... note that not everyone can get the proper clearance between the helmet, HANS, and seat back... I suspect it depends on your physiology, helmet shape, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
I have a HANS - don't leave home without it.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Also HANS isnt the only thing out there - I personally use a Safety Solutions R3 which is also SFI rated for head and neck support.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Also HANS isnt the only thing out there - I personally use a Safety Solutions R3 which is also SFI rated for head and neck support.
I too never go on the track without a restraint. I use the R3, mainly because I can get in and out the car easily with the R3 on.

Those with stock seats will likely find the R3 works better as it doesnt hit the seat back like the Hans does.

Hans with sliding teathers is a little less side movement restrictive than the R3 - but you get used to that.

Good curved door mirrors help a lot

Also you can get some benefit from wearing an R3 when ridinghotgun/using someone elses car who only has 3 point seatbelts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts