The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Hardwired means using permanent wire connection, as opposed to a wireless or a plug in connection ;) Thanks for your modesty ;)
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/front-12v-power-outlet-57705/
My search results reveal this forum is lacking a good hardwiring thread (someone correct me now if I'm wrong). This is it! How to/DIY hardwire your Radar Detectors, Navigations (e.g. TomTom), satellite radios, 12v outlets, etc.

The closest thread I found was http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/hardwired-v1-now-battery-dead-65393/ & that wasn't done correctly. As far as I'm concerned it's never a good idea to tap into your stereo power source. I've hardwired my radar detector, NAV, and extra 12v cigarette adapters in my previous 3 vehicles--all through the ignition A/C 12v line (I even installed a 110v from my amp power cable in my Honda).

A/C wire = devices auto turn off when the car is off vs Constant 12v wire = devices on without vehicle running (or until you press the power button).

Anyone on LT have a strong DIY for hardwiring in our vehicles? Or recommendations? My only requirement is the dash can't be removed because then you have to replace the broken "snap connectors" in the passenger airbag. Is there a better/safer/more convenient location to tap into than the steering column wires?

I am going to hardwire my nav/radar/and 12v outlet the first week in October (in preparation of my roadtrip from SD to Corpus Christi, TX). If no one else has submitted a DIY by then, I will create the greatest one you ever saw & thus deliver my first contribution to the forum :cool:

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hardwired means using permanent wire connection, as opposed to a wireless or a plug in connection ;) Thanks for your modesty ;)
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/front-12v-power-outlet-57705/
I know, that's what I'm talking about. A permanent wired connection for each device protected by a new fuse. I just mentioned the 12v cigarette adapter because I always add a couple when I'm tinkering with the primary devices, sort of a backup in case one of my passengers has an extra cell phone or laptop car charger with them. I do mean "hard-wired" for the nav/radar/etc. devices.

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link. That's what I'm talking about, good instructions for adding extra devices (in this case, an outlet). I think the power load I want will be too much for the fuse panel location used in this particular DIY, so I'll continue to look at other options.

by the way... was that a custom made "wall" or plastic piece that he mounted the outlet in that link? or can we purchase that somewhere? Don't answer that, it's probably somewhere in that thread & I'll re-read it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
it really depends on what you current consumption requirements are. If you need switched high current then what you do is use a 40A SPDT relay with the contact pole running to the battery through a fuse. then you can switch the relay with any switched igniton source since the relay coil is very low current.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts