The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have the problem where once in a while you press the horn when not wanting to, but when you really need it, like 20 minutes ago when a merc decides to cut across into the inside lane...(with me in it), when you are trying to avoid a collision and press the horn you can't find it!

Somehow I managed to stop the car, and she did also at last moment with both in the same lane, but no collision, lucky the Elise is so small!

Phew. But can never find the horn!

·
Registered
708 Posts
In heavy traffic situations, I always drive with both thumbs squarely on the horn switches. Oh....I've also replaced that excuse of a horn inside of an enclosed box...with a couple hellas mounted in the mouth of the car. Yes, it scares the crap out of anyone in front of me. I sort of need it to.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Before I went to a removable Momo wheel I sometimes wondered if corner workers thought I was blowing at them! Easy to accidentally hit with wrist on tight turns.
Now I have a big red button on the dash in the radio delete.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I've lost count how many times I've fruitlessly slammed the center of my airbag with my palm. If anyone ever cuts me off while I'm turning into a parking spot though, I'm confident I'll inadvertently get it right.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
haha yes! Glad I'm not the only one that's experienced this. Not only is the button on the far side of the wheel, but it's also small too so even if you weren't looking but knew the general vicinity, it's still a challenge.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
I don't know.. but I seem to be hitting it eveytime I turn the wheel?

Oh, carry a small horn can, they can't hear the Elise horn anyway :shrug:

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Never had a problem activating the horn... done it a few times unintentionally too when turning the damn wheel.
You are doing it wrong.
This is how you avoid hitting the horn unintentionally

2424985-942949-a-man-holds-the-steering-wheel-with-one-hand-while-driving-on-the-highway.jpg

·
Scott Graham
293 Posts
I hit the horn by accident all the time. every time im in a tight turn, or under heavy braking i get a little toot out the bugger. It's kind of embarrassing when other drivers are looking at you like you're an impatient a** honking at everyone.

I also agree the horn is a sad excuse. I just replaced mine last week with one of those super loud low tone "blaster" ones from napa. it sounds a lot more serious that the Ferrari like "meep!" that came with the car.

so now I can look like a giant loud a**!!!!! =D haha

·
Registered
137 Posts
I hit the horn by accident all the time. every time im in a tight turn, or under heavy braking i get a little toot out the bugger. It's kind of embarrassing when other drivers are looking at you like you're an impatient a** honking at everyone.

I also agree the horn is a sad excuse. I just replaced mine last week with one of those super loud low tone "blaster" ones from napa. it sounds a lot more serious that the Ferrari like "meep!" that came with the car.

I heard you do not have to remove the clam to change the horn but it's still quite a bit of work ? I want to change to a proper horn.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I just always thought that it was funny how the horn on my Elise sounds like it belongs on an old S10 or Ranger pickup truck. rotfl

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just replaced mine last week with one of those super loud low tone "blaster" ones from napa. it sounds a lot more serious that the Ferrari like "meep!" that came with the car.

do you have a napa part number and cost? was it a direct bolt on fit, no modding required? my clam's off so thinking about putting something louder in

·
Registered
889 Posts
I tend to accidentally hit it while grabbing the wheel while backing the car up. Never had a problem finding it when I needed it, though. I like that it's easy to activate because that allows me to sometimes give just a couple quick, light beeps vs. always a long, aggressive, a-hole-sounding beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts