The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This better be a damn short thread, God the're ugly. I got excited seeing they skipped the side marker lights, till I saw those. Please give us little side marker light, please please.

Steve

·
Registered
111 Posts
They really aren't that bad

I think it is a good sign if you guys think the major fault of the car is the side reflectors. We all know this "problem" can be easily fixed.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Those things SUCK, SUCK, SUCK! :mad: I'm worried about the holes they leave if you remove them. Mine are going to be off the car the first day, no doubt. I'll put tape, gum, or Silly Putty over the holes if I have to, but no way are those things on my car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What will be uglier, the reflector or peoples attempts at changing it

tidalwdave said:
Those things SUCK, SUCK, SUCK! :mad: I'm worried about the holes they leave if you remove them. Mine are going to be off the car the first day, no doubt. I'll put tape, gum, or Silly Putty over the holes if I have to, but no way are those things on my car.
The screw holes won't be too big of an issue, but that big hole will be a challenge. I'll wait to see what becomes available aftermarket... we all have several more months of waiting anyway.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I love the reflectors (and the exhaust treatment.). They are so poorly done that perhaps a few of the folks ahead of me on the list will cancel and I can get my car sooner.:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is it a reflector?

From the Pistonhead article.

Bodywork Changes

Some minor changes have been made to the bodywork. The stainless steel exhaust from the Toyota unit is now centralized under the rear diffuser. The rear diffuser is also now graced with rectangular red reflectors which could be the ugliest tacked on piece since the bumper extensions on the Elite/ Sprint/ Eclat models of the 70's. The good news is that with a screwdriver and some adhesive remover, these will be but a temporary inconvenience

The sides feature a new turn indicator which has also been integrated into European models for the 2004 model year.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Re: Is it a reflector?

Buck Dharma said:
From the Pistonhead article.

Bodywork Changes

Some minor changes have been made to the bodywork. The stainless steel exhaust from the Toyota unit is now centralized under the rear diffuser. The rear diffuser is also now graced with rectangular red reflectors which could be the ugliest tacked on piece since the bumper extensions on the Elite/ Sprint/ Eclat models of the 70's. The good news is that with a screwdriver and some adhesive remover, these will be but a temporary inconvenience

The sides feature a new turn indicator which has also been integrated into European models for the 2004 model year.
I don't mind those reflectors, those are damn nice looking compared to what I'm talking about. Take a look again at the pics and notice those reflectors that "grace" the sides of the car on each wheel well. Too big, wrong place, very very ugly.

Steve

·
Registered
327 Posts
I understand that for an extra $2000, you can have the reflectors removed and Lotus will install flashing lights on your wheels that blink once with each rotation. Sort of like those child sneakers with the flashers.

[pssst -- Transio, keep the S2000]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Based on Randy's comments about how they look w/ the LEDs lit up I thought of this (please no rice bashing).

Someone can easily come up w/ a clear reflector. Then people can put orange & red bulbs in it.

I like this idea as orange does NOT go well with certain paint colors. Clear on the other hand (while not federal legal at daytime) does go w/ the paint and at night will meet federal guidelines.

just my 0.02

Robert

·
Registered
971 Posts
Given the choice between an Elise with the side marker lights and no Elise at all because it doesn't meet USDOT standards, I'll take the side marker lights. Most people will probably be too busy gawking at the car to notice the lights, and I doubt that they'll detract from the experience of driving the car.

And you can always replace the stock lights with blue neon to highlight your 22 inch chrome rims with spinners.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
The last page of the dealer order guide did mention at a later date they will offer these, which are compatible with the LSS....:cool:

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I am going to post some pics of the booth across me at the LA Auto Show. 22-23" dubs encrusted with rhinestones. Unreal.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
From the NY Times 1/1/04 :

"rumor has it they will offer these optional wheels as part of a "heavyweight" version of the elise, for areas where extra traction is needed for winter driving. In addition to the heavier wheels, the car will feature ballast tanks similar to wakeboarding boats that can be filled with water as needed to compensate for snowy road conditions. Reportedly the DOT requirement for side reflectors will be waived with these optional wheels."

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Alternate solution... There are aftermarket side marker lights for other cars that are painted body color, but light yellow or red when lit.

Might a good thing to lobby one of these manufacturers to make them for the Elise.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I fixed the reflector problem prety fast and easy with Adobe. I plan on using some spray-on Adobe to fix them on my car when it arrives (hope I can match the Ardent red) LMFAO

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Oh... one more thing on the aftermarket body colored side markers... I pretty sure they are not DOT approved (non-reflective). Thus the only way a US retailer can sell them is for "off-road use".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts