The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
I concur with most of the painful comments. 100kg fuel limits, max fuel flow limits, etc... have no place in formula 1 racing. The cars this year sounded anemic. If F1 wants to go green, they need to make a special sub-group for it. That way, we can watch the green cars get horribly spanked by the real cars. As a note, lap times this year were about 3 seconds slower with the new rules.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
well.... i disagree :)

wait - i agree this year sux - but not for those reasons. i think an efficiency formula IS the way to go for formula one. F1 is behind LeMans technically speaking in a number of ways... but the extreme FIA specification of the components to dictate the design - is stupid beyond all belief. they should have just given a fuel limit and let the teams engineer the a power unit solution so competition could produce a relevant technology that is beneficial.

IMO - the only thing the FIA has done is created a bigger finical gap in F1 (more expensive) that will create an even bigger performance gap. (top 3 teams will be off in the distance, back 4 teams won't make 107% rule by mid season. won't matter... as a lot of races will be determined by grid spot penalities anyways.... F1 is now officially stupid - but its not because of an efficiency formula, its because the FIA has totally lost it!

instead of taking a cue from LeMans... the FIA took guidance from nascar

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Take this proposition to its furthest extreme. Imagine if purely electric cars could be made somehow "competitive", and gas fueled cars were outlawed. Nothing but electric motors. Would anyone come to watch... and listen?

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
We're about to find to find out with Formula E. Formula E - Home
Wow. I should have known!

The races will sound like a bunch of guys dueling with muffled woodshop routers. That's what I call entertainment. :rolleyes:

No more fuel stops, fuel strategies, blown engines, grease filled tools, etc.

There's just not much visceral excitement about battery and electrical motor technology. It's missing so many key elements that drive motor sports today. Soon we can argue that we'd be better off remote racing these cars without endangering drivers, and after that we can just save the resources altogether and transition to virtual racing done exclusively online. Such fun.

I have to admit KERS technology is really cool and electrical motors themselves have certain distinct technical advantages over internal combustion, but motorsports now must find the right balance of tradition and technology to keep fans involved in the sport.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Take this proposition to its furthest extreme. Imagine if purely electric cars could be made somehow "competitive", and gas fueled cars were outlawed. Nothing but electric motors. Would anyone come to watch... and listen?

I was at Laguna Seca when they had an all electric car event. I almost fell asleep. The feel and the sound is one of the greatest aspect as a spectator and driver. I guess it's all in the name of going "green".:facepalm

·
Registered
7,117 Posts

The races will sound like a bunch of guys dueling with muffled woodshop routers. That's what I call entertainment. :rolleyes:

There's just not much visceral excitement about battery and electrical motor technology. It's missing so many key elements that drive motor sports today. Soon we can argue that we'd be better off remote racing these cars without endangering drivers, and after that we can just save the resources altogether and transition to virtual racing done exclusively online. Such fun.

I have to admit KERS technology is really cool and electrical motors themselves have certain distinct technical advantages over internal combustion, but motorsports now must find the right balance of tradition and technology to keep fans involved in the sport.
whats funny... is i just realized that MOTORSPORTS implies electrical motors, and NOT internal combustion engines.... that would be ENGINESPORTS :)

so technically, motorsports should all be EV :)

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
formula e will fail... but we will only see more and more electric drivetrain in production cars and in racing.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I enjoyed the race, but mostly because it was not another Finger snooze fest. Seeing Bottas and Magnussen was awesome. Having a Williams in the mix is great.

All that tech is remarkable but what a nightmare. All just ready to pop at any moment.

One of the greatest experiences of my life was sitting right on the start/finish at Silverstone a couple years back. Being right there to take in the sound of the field at race start is far beyond description. I can get chills right now just thinking of how incredible those cars sounded.

·
Super Moderator
6,820 Posts

This is what they sound like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqIsFbdLJ7k

It's eery. Without the engine sound component of the experience it seems deceptively slow. Has to be weird to drive.

They will have pit stops and strategy because they have to come in and swap out battery packs a couple times per race.

I'm not sure what to think of it.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
A couple of years ago I was at the Road America ALMS races when Audi brought their R10 TDI cars. Compared to "normal" cars on the track they seemed whisper quiet. It was amazing how much tire contact, transmission, and braking noise the spectators could hear when these cars were running alone.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I personally like the somewhat subdued sound of the current Indy cars. You can hear everything the engine and turbo without either dominating, but it also doesn't make your ears bleed. I've not heard the new F1 cars in person, but I have heard the Indy cars in person. RX-8s had possibly the worst noise I've ever heard - absolutely piercing and shrill. Maybe that's why I like the turbomuffller so much

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.