The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morris Dowton, head of Lotus Manufacturing 1968 - 2003, yesterday sent me this picture. It's the very last Europa coming off the line in 1975. Morris is the gentleman to Chapman's left, in the white shirt/tie.

Attachments

Reactions: DaveS4s and ksm

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was 17 in 1975 when one of my friends whose dad was a doctor got a brand new Europa TC Special in Lagoon blue with oatmeal interior. It was around $8k, which seemed like an eye-watering amount to a high school kid driving around in his folks Opel Ascona (1900 sedan). My friend got an MGB at age 15, a barely used TR6 at 16, now a Europa at 17. I drove it a few times and it was a paradigm shift, no doubt.

As one would expect, he didn't treat it with kid gloves and I watched as it fell apart over the next couple of years. My friend went on to a new 320i E21 at 19, so the Europa went into the history books. Nonetheless, it inspired me to purchased an Elan in need of restoration about 30 years ago, then the modern equivalent of the Europa 11 years ago.

His 911 that followed the 320i was used to carry firewood down a dirt road to a cabin and eventually was in pieces at a local repair shop. My pal is now a radiologist and probably drives a Jeep or some other type of SUV, as they can take the punishment he dishes out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts