The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying an Elise that is over 7 hours away from my home & I am a little nervous about the drive home after flying in that morning.

Can anyone share their long 5 or more hour drive home experience and if they would do it again, etc.

Thanks!
+anthony

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Not a big deal a lot of us have done that and more. Randy drove from E to W coast in his. I had a friend along who had a ton of fun taking pictures of people taking pictures of us. Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I bought mine in Nashville and drove it back to San Antonio. Took a lot more than 7 hours and I loved every minute.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
bring a pillow for your ass

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have you sat in an Elise yet? How large are you?

I'm 32 years old, 6 feet and 180lbs and i've done 11 hours over the course of two days. It really isn't bad at all. Sure it would've been much more comfortable in another car, but it really wasn't brutal. Granted i have the stock exhaust - i've heard the stage II can start rattle your brain after a couple hours...

good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Done long trips plenty and in traffic no less. My ass is fine. The car is like a hard massage chair ;). Just take breaks, you can't drive 5 hours straight anyway even if you wanted to. Gas break is plenty for me to stretch out and get on the road again. And just so you know, I never dreaded long trips. I welcome the extended time to be with my car.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I flew into Philly in the morning, brought the car and drove 9 hours back to SC.
It's not a GT or saloon car, but I loved it and would recommend.

The fuel tank only has a 2 - 2.5 hour range, so you have to stop regularly anyway.

Take CD's and a towel and you'll be fine.

Enjoy :shift:

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
This year and last, drove straight thru from Miami to NJ. Last week, it took 16:32. NO problem at all.

It's just a car, and, once in, pretty comfy.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Just don't try to go to the bathroom or sleep with another person and dog in the car (as some people on this forum have) during the trip and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Bend, Oregon to Park City, UT in 11 hours last summer in my Exige S. Only complaint would be that once in place you are in place - you can't skootch around on the seat to change position. That being said, it was very comfortable for both my wife and I.

Jerry

·
Registered
4,437 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
You will be fine, just don't panic when small plastic bits of the interior pop off, I don't think anyone has ever been hit in the face....

Jim

·
Registered
624 Posts
I would suggest going to the road trip section and reading up there. The longest I have driven is 2.5 hours when I bought the car but since then I have done leisurely drives for up to 2 hours as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've done Houston to Wichita and back (about 9 hours each way) with just stops for gas. No problems at all. I'm 6'5 and the seat was very comfortable. Even with the nothing but straight roads the time flew by.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 10 hour drive was very pleasant.

If you have sat in an Elise and like the feel, this will be the best drive of your life.
I find the seating postion super comfortable mostly because my legs are practically straight in front of me as though I were in a recliner.
Circulation to the legs and feet is better that in a higher seat and my neck and shoulders didn't get tight as on most long trips.
I stopped at a lot of rest stops with many friendly encounters.
People are attracted to the car and will be taking pictures.
ENJOY.
Congratulations!
Dave

·
Registered
137 Posts
I drove 2,200 miles in two days. It wasn't too taxing, but I think I have the ProBax seats to thank. Supposedly, they make a great difference.

On the other hand, I can't recommend sleeping in an Elise. *crick*

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts