The Lotus Cars Community banner
121 - 140 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe I’ll call Park P,ace and see if I can start a $10k refundable deposit list and jump in front of the $5k list and $2.5k list? Maybe the bigger the deposit, the higher up on the list one can be. Hmm..sounds like they might just go for that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Maybe I’ll call Park P,ace and see if I can start a $10k refundable deposit list and jump in front of the $5k list and $2.5k list? Maybe the bigger the deposit, the higher up on the list one can be. Hmm..sounds like they might just go for that.
Try it! If it works, let us know.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That was why I chose not to leave my deposit at the local dealership. They were accepting $2500-10k for deposits and made it sound like a $10k deposit would take precedence but were super vague. Then said right now they planned to sell at msrp. Went with Gator and know I made the right choice.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm in Idaho. It's about a 7 1/2 hour drive if I'm going to drive it back. I'm thinking I'll probably just have them transport it via covered carrier, since I don't really want to put that many miles on it the first day, and also get the front covered in bug mash.
I'm about 9 hours drive from where I placed an order. I don't mind putting miles on the car, but I'd want to get ceramic and probably PPF (paint protection film) installed and I think that's best to do when the car is new. Maybe I'll find a place near the dealer and have it done there before I drive it back.

My Elise came with a PPF clearbra that was installed at the arrival port in the US as I recall. I wonder if they'll offer the same option for the Emira.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That was why I chose not to leave my deposit at the local dealership. They were accepting $2500-10k for deposits and made it sound like a $10k deposit would take precedence but were super vague. Then said right now they planned to sell at msrp. Went with Gator and know I made the right choice.
Did exactly the same as you, even though Park Place would be my closest dealer. Just didn't get a good vibe. I may be out shipping or a drive with a covered trailer, but I feel good about my deposit with Gator.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm about 9 hours drive from where I placed an order. I don't mind putting miles on the car, but I'd want to get ceramic and probably PPF (paint protection film) installed and I think that's best to do when the car is new. Maybe I'll find a place near the dealer and have it done there before I drive it back.

My Elise came with a PPF clearbra that was installed at the arrival port in the US as I recall. I wonder if they'll offer the same option for the Emira.
I totally agree with you about PPF, however, I'd also want paint correction before application. Even klnew cars have swirls, rotary marks, etc.

Did they do a paint correction first or just put PPF on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
First post on Lotus Talk and first (potential) Lotus purchase! Just put a deposit with Gator Motorsports this morning. Decided to go with the AMG engine. Here's my build: s3BZX9bG
No code has to be inserted here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
First post on Lotus Talk and first (potential) Lotus purchase! Just put a deposit with Gator Motorsports this morning. Decided to go with the AMG engine. Here's my build: s3BZX9bG
No code has to be inserted here.
Congratulations and welcome. Did they tell you what number you were in line?

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
I totally agree with you about PPF, however, I'd also want paint correction before application. Even klnew cars have swirls, rotary marks, etc.

Did they do a paint correction first or just put PPF on?
I believe they just put PPF on back then. My '06 Exige still has the port-installed PPF. I'm glad it was applied, because there are still no rock chips on the front end, but today I would insist on paint correction before application.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know of any PPF install at port that comes with paint correction before hand. I'm not in a 7 1/2 or 9 hour away boat as some, but still 3 hours from the dealer, and like others, I'd be looking at covered transport if I can't find a really solid paint correction and PPF option really close to the dealer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks! Yep, “mid 70s” overall and 11th for AMG build. Hard to get too excited this far back in line but still pumped every time I see the car in pics.
Welcome to the queue!! Seems like it will be worth the wait 🤞

·
Registered
4 Posts
I decided to go with Gator as they were very active on this forum and since I'm new to Lotus, I reached out and had great experience with Allison on the process. I think I was high 20s or low 30s, amazing they are already up to the 70s. Will be interesting to see how many cars are going to be allocated.

I will probably fly to pick up and drive home vs shipping but will bring trac wrap to cover the front end until I get home to get it properly PPF

·
Registered
94 Posts
I believe they just put PPF on back then. My '06 Exige still has the port-installed PPF. I'm glad it was applied, because there are still no rock chips on the front end, but today I would insist on paint correction before application.
Wow! PPF from 2006? How's it holding up? I've heard the older stuff can be a real PITA to remove as it gets older. It tends to get brittle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
OK, I couldn't stand it and finally asked Allison at Gator where I was on the list with my reservation. I'm in the mid-50's, but closer to 25 for the V-6. Which is great, but I have no idea where Gator falls as far as dealer volume. I Googled it with no luck. And does that even matter? Lotus of Bellevue seems to think so.

Some of us could be in for a long wait... I think it will be worth it though. September can't get here soon enough so we can get more info!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Which is great, but I have no idea where Gator falls as far as dealer volume. I Googled it with no luck. And does that even matter? Lotus of Bellevue seems to think so.
I believe Gator is #3 in the country with Naples, and L.A. top 2 (not sure what order). Supposedly dealers with high Evora GT, and parts volume will determine allocation.

·
Registered
170 Posts
OK, I couldn't stand it and finally asked Allison at Gator where I was on the list with my reservation. I'm in the mid-50's, but closer to 25 for the V-6. Which is great, but I have no idea where Gator falls as far as dealer volume. I Googled it with no luck. And does that even matter? Lotus of Bellevue seems to think so.

Some of us could be in for a long wait... I think it will be worth it though. September can't get here soon enough so we can get more info!
It matters because each dealership is only going to get so many allocations for cars. One poster said their local dealer already had 33 pre-orders, and that same dealer only sold 2 Evoras last YEAR, so their allotment is likely to be very very low, like maybe 2. If that's the case, then only 2 people are going to get a car, and the other 31 will be on a waiting list.

You might try asking Gator what their allocation is going to be. I asked Bellevue when I called and they said 70 and I'm now number 45 (I was number 46 but apparently somebody ahead of me had to cancel because his wife said 'no'). Since there are only 33 dealers in the country or something like that, the top few selling dealers are going to get the lion's share of the allocations. I believe the total allocation for the U.S. was 700 cars, so even if that were evenly distributed among the 33 dealers that's only 21 cars each.

I know Lotus is going to add dealerships, so there's no way to know how many and/or if that would affect the allocations. Maybe everybody gets 1 or 2, with the higher volume dealers getting the biggest allotments. The Lotus dealer in Naples, Florida boasts they're the number 1 selling dealer in the world, so they'll probably get the most cars of anybody. Bellevue said Lotus wants them to send the deposit forms to them so they know how many deposits are being placed. I imagine this also gives them an idea of which dealers are getting the most deposits which might affect allocations.

These kinds of numbers are new territory for Lotus, so we'll see how it goes. The First Edition is also being advertised as a limited production run, with all of them being the V6 cars, and I've seen both 4,700 and 4,800 being reported. The U.K. is supposed to get 800 (which are all accounted for already), the U.S. is supposed to get 700 (which are probably already spoken for), and the rest get split up over the rest of their markets. I would imagine a fair number will go to China since they basically bankrolled this venture, but there's the rest of Europe, Canada and Japan too. Depending on where they see the biggest amount of deposit activity though, they might shift allocations accordingly.

All that being said, the i4 cars don't have a limited production run, so if that's the one you want, you'll get it eventually.

·
Registered
68 Posts

🤔 just curious, what was the point of getting PPF on the arrival US port, instead of the original UK factory? I mean it is better than nothing but it would more make a sense for getting PPF in the original UK factory inside before shipping from UK to USA.

·
Registered
170 Posts
🤔 just curious, what was the point of getting PPF on the arrival US port, instead of the original UK factory? I mean it is better than nothing but it would more make a sense for getting PPF in the original UK factory inside before shipping from UK to USA.
Do they even offer that? If I could get PPF on my car from the factory as an option, I would definitely go for that.

121 - 140 of 230 Posts