The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go ahead and make this thread. I received a few PM's from people who wanted me to start it as well because of the comment I made in another thread. First and foremost let me say this: If you do not know what racism really is, or have never experienced real racism, or you live in a world where its hidden or maybe just not in your neighborhood, then please just keep ignorant comments to yourself.

I am a mid 20's black male. Mostly when I am out I have on business casual attire because that is how I dress for work and I am too lazy to change most times. But how I am dressed shouldnt be an issue anyway. I have had enough experience to write a book on this but I wont go too much into detail. I'll just state a few things. This Lotus is not my first so called "nice car". I started noticing things really quick the first day I got my previous car. I remember getting pulled over on the highway when I was doing about 2 mph under the limit. The car was new and it had temporary tags on it. So the officer comes up to the car and immediately tells me to get out the car set the keys on the trunk yada yada. Waited for 2 more officers to show up, searched the car, you know, the whole nine yards. I was trying to get some type of explanation for anything but they wouldnt answer. The part that really set it off was when an officer stepped up to me, felt my heart and asked me was I scared. But I just kept my cool until they finished trying to find out why I dont have a criminal record.

To cut this short, in a years time I have been pulled over 17 times without doing anything. And out of those 17 I have been searched 9 times. I have never received a ticket because it was nothing done for them to give me one. I know that a cop can run anyones plates at any time. But its funny that everytime I turn a corner and an officer can visually see me driving, that they get behind me and I can look in the rear view and see them running my plates. I have only had the lotus a short time and have only driven it a couple so I dont have any Lotus racism stories to tell. But if anyone does I would like to hear.

Also, I know that every cop is not racist and every cop I see is not out to get me. But that does not change the fact the ALOT are.

·
Registered
425 Posts
wow that sucks man.. just signed up. this is the first thread i read.. yea it happens. i probably dont get pulled over much cuz i look white, even though i'm puerto rican. (no don't have a Lotus yet).. it happens, it's out there. i live in brooklyn, ny.. a lot of the police force are minorities themselves, but that still doesn't stop them

·
Registered
907 Posts
sorry to hear about it, 2008 and its still happening. Know how you feel...been there. Its not just about color either. Ignorance is a way of life

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Profiling like a muthaf*cka. Change your last name to Obama, then they won't sweat you soo much. LOL!

BTW, what was your previous car?

I'm not white and have been discriminated against on many occasions, I can even relate a story back to my youth when my family's car was stopped by the KKK to "spread their word" or whatever, not an enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Profiling like a muthaf*cka. Change your last name to Obama, then they won't sweat you soo much. LOL!

BTW, what was your previous car?

I'm not white and have been discriminated against on many occasions, I can even relate a story back to my youth when my family's car was stopped by the KKK to "spread their word" or whatever, not an enjoyable experience.
LOL i just remembered the Movie "Rat Race" for some reason

·
Banned
3,227 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Yea - that is messed up. Definitely profiling.

I've seen this happen with another black Lotus owner.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
First and foremost let me say this: If you do not know what racism really is, or have never experienced real racism, or you live in a world where its hidden or maybe just not in your neighborhood, then please just keep ignorant comments to yourself.
Much as I hate jumping into this debate, let me at least inject the concept that what you may call "Racism" is probably better defined as "Discrimination".

You might argue that the difference is too subtle to consider, but in my experience as a WHITE man living abroad in several non-white majority countries, I have experienced the overt discrimination and the "fear" that comes from being a minority. I have been harassed, challenged and even threatened for being what I am in places where I was a minority or "different".

So please don't presume that it's always racism. No, I haven't had your experiences, but you haven't had mine either.

That said, police tend to go after things that seem unusual or out of the ordinary. First time I drove my Elise through town, I was pulled over for going 27MPH in a 25 MPH zone. WTF!! Cop just wanted to see what was up.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
999 Posts
Sounds like you would be an excellent candidate for video cameras from our forum owner (Randy Chase). Put those in your car so you can film the cops -- and you may become a YouTube celebrity. (There was a great thread some months ago about a fellow that did this on regular basis -- got the local cops in quite a lot of trouble for harassing him.) At any rate, next time something happens that isn't completely by-the-book, you would have great evidence for a lawsuit.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
To the original poster: what an awful experience. What part of the country do you live in?

The part about the cop feeling your heart is really sick, that was a power trip for him I'm sure. There is a lot of stupidity in our country...

Hang in there...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If I was ever stopped without "probable cause", I would forever be a pain in that officer's side AND pursue the issue with his department.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
We all have been prejudged, discriminated against, or disrespected. If this type of treatment is relatively infrequent, it is too easy to forget how angry this can make one feel. We should not be surprised to learn that those who are the subject of prejudice most often are very likely to hold on to this anger.

It is perhaps the blame game that concerns me most. Those who want to blame those who have been victims of prejudice for not being able to rise above it. And those who blame others unfairly for their own circumstance.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
First, I wish I could apologize on behalf of the whole country. I appreciate your posting this; your friends gave you good advice.

Second, would it help to wear a hat with LOTUS clearly visible from a bit of a distance?

Sorry

PS: I lived in some ritzy neighborhoods (eg short hills, NJ) and there was a way better than 50& chance that the pulled-over was non-white. The town lost a law suit or two; one involved arresting a black guy on a train, handcuffing him in his cell so as he couldnt sit down.....trouble (for them) was, the guy was a judge.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The last time I was pulled over and given a ticket for doing 68 in a 65 mph zone, it was a black cop with an attitude. I let it go and I suggest that you do to. It's healthier for you.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Good advice, to be sure. But how many times do you think you could shrug it off before you were just seething inside?
There must be some missing information in the OP. Every black man does not get pulled over 17 times in one year, I am sure.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just be polite with cops and they're polite back. I've never had any problems with officers. If you get an attitude as to why they pulled you over chances are they'll do the same. (Not saying you have one necessarily)

Regardless, if that cop did touch your heart and said it under those circumstances it is wrong.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
The last time I was pulled over and given a ticket for doing 68 in a 65 mph zone, it was a black cop with an attitude. I let it go and I suggest that you do to. It's healthier for you.
Isolated instances are one thing... but the original poster is talking about something that is frequent and unacceptable.

1 - 20 of 345 Posts