The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got an 08 GTI with DSG primarily for the girlfriend, but nice for me as well

I wanted a manual but after driving the DSG I love it for a daily driver

also I wanted a different color, but this was the one.. low mileage, one owner, immaculate condition, price etc - not doing another black/white theme like the lotus.. going with some grey or silver or gunmetal wheels on this one.

planning APR stage 2 flash with only downpipe and intake. don't want loud exhaust and don't plan to change the turbo etc.. but hope to get close to 300whp

for suspension I'm looking this route, but am open to ideas on coil-overs instead of springs and shocks/struts
Volkswagen Golf V 2.0T > Suspension > Suspension Kits > ES#263076 Koni FSD And Eibach Prokit Combo - 2150-4001-1

woder if these are necessary or are worth it?
OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

also thinking these wheels
Home Page > Search > VMR wheels > ES#2536027 18" V710 Wheels - Set Of Four - Gunmetal - V13165KT

questions/comments/suggestions welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Very cool. I've really been thinking about trading in my daily driver for a Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T with the DSG. Funny enough that thing is more rare than an Elise!

How do you like the DSG?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flat out LOVE the DSG and I'm a manual guy... I did it becuase my gf doesn't really know how to drive manual - I'm sure she could learn but thats another story! Anyways even if she learns I need a daily driver other than my gas guzzling tundra truck

as for the dsg I thought I'd be keeping it in sport mode and using the paddles all the time but I find myself just leaving it in drive... the computer adapts pretty well to your driving so say for instance you floor it to get around someone - it will hang out in some high rpms for a minute and wait to see if youre going to keep up the higher performance driving so its ready if you do.. if not it just reverts back to dummy mode and short shift for fuel economy..

only compliant i do have is the delay in the drive by wire.. it is pretty slow to react if you mash the gas - I do see there is a solution for it but would need to read up on it to see if it works before I'd buy:
Volkswagen Golf V 2.0T > Engine > Performance > Sprint Booster > ES#1897079 Sprint Booster Power Converter - SBVW0012S

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
They are fun cars too.

One of my other vehicles is a Mk IV Jetta TDI. I thought it was kind slow coming from an STI, but everyone else that drives it says it really hauls the mail.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think they're mostly all great cars.. I was originally looking for a 03-04 golf tdi, but at $12,000 for a good example theyre certainly not a great deal for 2nd buyer. Although I'd be happy as could be if I bought a $23k car and almost 10 years and 100k mi later it was still worth well over 50% of retail.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ha! I just got this two weeks ago...

2008 MkV R32 1784 / 5000 - amoroso's Photos

'08 R32 DSG
Fogs
Xenon driving lights
Neuspeed P-Flo intake
Stoptech 355mm front brakes
Two sets of Neuspeed RS5 forged 18x8 wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and Ddunlop Wintersport M3s
Neuspeed sport springs
Haldex Stock / Sport / Race controller

Terrific daily driver!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
as for the jetta.. i like them but I needed a hatch for the utility (dog, camping, bikes etc)

If I went another direction I would have gone for the tdi cup with dsg.. those are sick as well!

Review: 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Edition juggles fun and frugality
Awesome thanks for the heads up on the DSG . I am considering the DSG for the same reason, my wife needs to drive it and has no desire to learn stick.

Actually I need the Jetta for utility as well. I am looking at the Jetta Wagon. For one year (2009) they made a Jetta Wagon with the 2.0t. Extremely hard to find, but seems like the perfect balance of utility (kid, dog, parts, etc), fun factor (2.0T), and economy (claimed 30mpg on the expressway)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome thanks for the heads up on the DSG . I am considering the DSG for the same reason, my wife needs to drive it and has no desire to learn stick.

Actually I need the Jetta for utility as well. I am looking at the Jetta Wagon. For one year (2009) they made a Jetta Wagon with the 2.0t. Extremely hard to find, but seems like the perfect balance of utility (kid, dog, parts, etc), fun factor (2.0T), and economy (claimed 30mpg on the expressway)
with the 2.0T my buddy is getting 33mpg at stage 2 APR tune.. 325tq 290hp (crank)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha! I just got this two weeks ago...

2008 MkV R32 1784 / 5000 - amoroso's Photos

'08 R32 DSG
Fogs
Xenon driving lights
Neuspeed P-Flo intake
Stoptech 355mm front brakes
Two sets of Neuspeed RS5 forged 18x8 wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and Ddunlop Wintersport M3s
Neuspeed sport springs
Haldex Stock / Sport / Race controller

Terrific daily driver!

awesome car man.. I love the r32

I just needed a cheap econo daily so I couldn't shell out the extra 10 grand over GTI to get a nice one

have you considered single turbo like HPA or something? you can get insane power out of those motors with FI

1 - 11 of 11 Posts