Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
Face Car Head Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
37 Posts
Heh, I was literally just trying to figure out easiest way to get under the dash and then saw this thread. Still not 100% certain on the steps to achieve.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm usually two legs out the door. And back bent over the sills. Not great, haha.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heh, I was literally just trying to figure out easiest way to get under the dash and then saw this thread. Still not 100% certain on the steps to achieve.
I start by sitting backwards, put the car in 6th gear, slide my head between the gear stick and dash then throw my legs up. Getting out is the hard part 😂

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
Far easier and safer to pull the passenger seat (or drivers seat if you have to be on that side of the car). It is only 4 bolts and the seat weighs about 20 lb, very easy! You should never work under the dash by yourself, always have someone there to pull you out or call 911! You could easily pass out.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
846 Posts
Far easier and safer to pull the passenger seat (or drivers seat if you have to be on that side of the car). It is only 4 bolts and the seat weighs about 20 lb, very easy! You should never work under the dash by yourself, always have someone there to pull you out or call 911! You could easily pass out.
Whats the trick to getting the front right allen bolt off for the passenger seat? All my tools would not work in getting it off, almost like you need a very small allen tool.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Whats the trick to getting the front right allen bolt off for the passenger seat? All my tools would not work in getting it off, almost like you need a very small allen tool.
You need a Wobble extension with the proper Allen wrench socket.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
I was in the process of saying exactly what @CRG53 said! He beat me to it!

Reactions: DannyTheDonk

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Reactions: DannyTheDonk

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
846 Posts
You need a Wobble extension with the proper Allen wrench socket.
I was in the process of saying exactly what @CRG53 said! He beat me to it!
Thanks guys. Wanting to pick a set up for the future when I inevitably drop another bolt down there. Went to take the seat out to retrieve...but could not for the life of me get enough torque. Missing the Allen Wrench Socket Set.

·
Registered
2009 Elise SC
203 Posts
I've worked under the dash with and without the seats in there. Removing the seats definitely helped, but didn't prevent me from doing some serious Elise yoga to get there. The original pic from @arturoannese here is probably the best approach. I still had the roof in, so I was more in line with @gstomp06 - legs hanging out over the sill. Unless you're 3ft tall, I just don't think there's a "comfortable" way to do this... 😂

·
Registered
Bordeaux Red Pearl 2005 Elise
57 Posts
I did not think to have my wife take a picture of me when I was under the dash like that a few weeks ago. Although I was fairly proud being able to get myself into and out of that position at my age, honestly it is probably for the best not to have the evidence.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts