The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Tough to photograph, but Motorsport Green is dazzling in person. Many say “I don’t normally like green cars but that’s really good”. In this pic, the lightest area abouve the RF wheel depicts it pretty well. Btw, this was the first time I actually saw this fine car. Carlotus has her now, just down the street after she spent some years on the West coast. View attachment 1274523
Green in general is one of the hardest colors to photograph on a car and do it justice. I’ve gotten the same, “I don’t usually like green cars, but...,” comment as well. In fact, the only reason I sought out BRG was because I happened to see one in person and it was just right for me, bright enough to be interesting without screaming “look at me!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Green in general is one of the hardest colors to photograph on a car and do it justice. I’ve gotten the same, “I don’t usually like green cars, but...,” comment as well. In fact, the only reason I sought out BRG was because I happened to see one in person and it was just right for me, bright enough to be interesting without screaming “look at me!”

Love the darker, flatter true British 🇬🇧 Racing green. This 2006 only for our cars. “Jaguar racing green” much darker, almost black.

I guess most folks here know of the old custom of the racers having colors to denote their country. Red for Italy, silver for Germany, white for the States. Blue for France.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Love the darker, flatter true British Racing green. This 2006 only for our cars. “Jaguar racing green” much darker, almost black.

I guess most folks here know of the old custom of the racers having colors to denote their country. Red for Italy, silver for Germany, white for the States. Blue for France.
There is no such thing as “true” British Racing Green. As you alluded, it was a generally used term in motorsports, Jaguar not being the first car either. Were you trying to discount the historical validity with “This 2006 only for our cars” statement? I don’t think anyone is saying that, it’s simply referring to the paint name as defined by Lotus.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
There is no such thing as “true” British Racing Green. As you alluded, it was a generally used term in motorsports, Jaguar not being the first car either. Were you trying to discount the historical validity with “This 2006 only for our cars” statement? I don’t think anyone is saying that, it’s simply referring to the paint name as defined by Lotus.

Not discounting anything, just some comments of things I’ve seen. I think the only year that Lotus did the Elise in BRG was 2006.

I wonder if we can identify a marque that was the first green 🇬🇧 racer. Bentley’s famous 1929 “Blower”. Anyone know earlier ones?

Reactions: glemmons

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I was not around at the time, but at the late 19th and turn of the 20th Century the English populace, media and Parliament were fearful of automobiles on the roads, scaring horses, milk cows, running over women and children, etc. So, Parliament decreed that any motorized vehicle must be led by a man carrying a red flag and warning of the approaching vehicle. These laws were known as the Locomotive Acts Locomotive Acts - Wikipedia.

Motor Racing was specifically prohibited in England at the time, so in 1903 the Gordon Bennett Cup organizers received permission from the government of Ireland to hold their international race on the Emerald Isle. The English racers' gratitude was shown by the teams painting their cars various shades of green. British racing green - Wikipedia

The original Lotus Racing green is its own unique shade, different than say Jaguar (very dark - almost black).

/history mode: off

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was not around at the time, but at the late 19th and turn of the 20th Century the English populace, media and Parliament were fearful of automobiles on the roads, scaring horses, milk cows, running over women and children, etc. So, Parliament decreed that any motorized vehicle must be led by a man carrying a red flag and warning of the approaching vehicle. These laws were known as the Locomotive Acts Locomotive Acts - Wikipedia.

Motor Racing was specifically prohibited in England at the time, so in 1903 the Gordon Bennett Cup organizers received permission from the government of Ireland to hold their international race on the Emerald Isle. The English racers' gratitude was shown by the teams painting their cars various shades of green. British racing green - Wikipedia

The original Lotus Racing green is its own unique shade, different than say Jaguar (very dark - almost black).

/history mode: off
Super interesting, thanks for sharing

·
Registered
No lotus yet, but cant wait to get one
139 Posts
Would someone be able to buy either the old British racing green that lotus used pre and post-2006, the 2006 lotus racing green or the new motorsport green in the same way that you can buy old replacement lotus parts that have a part #? or if not would you be able to get another company to paint match it?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Would someone be able to buy either the old British racing green that lotus used pre and post-2006, the 2006 lotus racing green or the new motorsport green in the same way that you can buy old replacement lotus parts that have a part #? or if not would you be able to get another company to paint match it?
Yes. You would have to find the color code # for the color you want. Paint shops would mix the color per the code formula for you.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Yes. You would have to find the color code # for the color you want. Paint shops would mix the color per the code formula for you.
My track days got me a bit of experience with this.

Repainted doors on my house a few years ago. Sherwin Williams scanned our Elise and that’s my front doors.

Kitchen appliances are gloss black. Yes I honestly considered gold pinstripes to compliment the Europa but...

Reactions: StressCraxx

·
Registered
No lotus yet, but cant wait to get one
139 Posts
Yeah ok thanks, sounds easy!

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Yessir - red seats and side panels. It's not a type 25, but it's the look I'm going for. (has yellow stripes, now).
If I ever spec another Lotus it will be the Indy green and yellow of our racing Heritage Evora with red accents on the interior. Steering wheel and seats.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Just realized, my icon of the classic 1965 Indy winner has gotta be a Lotus racing green, by definition.

·
Registered
216 Posts
LRG got some serious love on BAT today:

One-Owner 6k-Mile 2005 Lotus Elise

Saw that today. Respect the green! hehe

We'll likely be seeing the new buyer on here soon, I hope. My car is pretty much a carbon copy of his, only I'm 3rd owner and have 20k miles on mine... and climbing. Bought it w/ 10k miles, and don't plan on sellin'... well, unless I can find a Type 25, but those are unobtainium.

Regardless, hats off to the buyer and seller.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
41 - 59 of 59 Posts