The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to explain the emblem and it's lettering within? I can't seem to get a straight answer. It looks like back in my old college days when I overlapped a few letters on a typewriter. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is also a thought that the CC is Colin Chapman, and the AB is the Allen Brothers IIRC who helped him in the early years.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
There is also a thought that the CC is Colin Chapman, and the AB is the Allen Brothers IIRC who helped him in the early years.
Not a chance. It is his initials. Chapman NEVER would have put someone elses initials on his cars.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
John Player Special!
That was advertising - John Player (cigarettes) sponsored Colin's F1 racing cars. Making a JPS Lotus just capitalized on the publicity from the winning F1 cars.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
....the real mystery is the name "LOTUS"

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
1974 - 76 the F1 cars were John Player Specials Mk 1, 2 , 3 etc. No Lotus roundel on the nose cone, a black JPS badge was used.
JPS Lotus as in JPS Europa, and at least one of the later cars in the '70s. JPS F1 cars winning races surely helped to sell JPS Europas for the street.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Hazel Chapman did a recorded presentation at LOG in Indy. At the end she starts to say " the meaning of Lotus is....." and then the screen went like there were technical problems. It was obviously a joke as she is well aware that we know that she knows.

According to a quote by Chapman’s longtime friends and biographer Jabby Crombec it has something to do with the Lotus Flower bringing joy and contentment as do other things in life.

Hazel Chapman is a classy lady and I believe her obvious wishes that this be kept a secret until some later day should be respected. Lets leave it alone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lotus name & logo meaning

They are the initials of Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman,
the Designer, Builder, and Founder of LOTUS.

Colin Chapman calls his car a LOTUS because once you drive it, you will forget all the others.

In the logo, the initials are larger than the word LOTUS, for-Lotus-is-indeed Anthony-Colin-Bruce-Chapman !

The triangular lozenge is colored British Racing Green,
which is the color designated for cars of British origin that will be competing in international events.

The lozenge is placed on a field of yellow, signifying the sunny days that Chapman
hoped would lie ahead for his company.

All Lotus competition cars were painted British Racing Green with Yellow detailing,
until the advent of paid corporate sponsership which turned them into rolling billboards

Ref: Lotus Badge

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
They are the initials of Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman,
the Designer, Builder, and Founder of LOTUS.
True but too busy...

Colin Chapman calls his car a LOTUS because once you drive it, you will forget all the others.
But a Lotus is a soft beautiful flower, kind of feminine, wouldn't you say?

In the logo, the initials are larger than the word LOTUS, for-Lotus-is-indeed Anthony-Colin-Bruce-Chapman !
Just like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, he was on a power trip so he decided to put his full name on the logo...

The triangular lozenge is colored British Racing Green,
which is the color designated for cars of British origin that will be competing in international events.
Just an ugly color...

The lozenge is placed on a field of yellow, signifying the sunny days that Chapman hoped would lie ahead for his company.
Yeah but for most part it has been very cloudy days, must be the hideous color combo :barf: I like the silver and black better, go Raiders!! :D just try this, put on a pair of racing green pants and a sunny yellow t-shirt and walk on a busy street, I bet you'll get at least 25 people yell at you " Go home you nerd!!" :)

All Lotus competition cars were painted British Racing Green with Yellow detailing,
until the advent of paid corporate sponsership which turned them into rolling billboards
Until someone with better taste came along, game over!! I hope I made it clear for you... rotfl

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
This should be the new logo.

Christy Turlington looking super hot in the Lotus position

1 - 20 of 22 Posts