The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Classic & Sports Car Magazine polled a jury of 20 top automotive designers to try and find the most beautiful car of all time. The power packed jury included several folks with strong Lotus connections such as Giorgetto Giugiaro (Esprit), Peter Stevens (Esprit S2) and Steve Crijns (Lotus Design) along with industry stalwarts such as Gordon Murray, Ian Callum and Marcell Gandini. The Citroen DS was declared the eventual winner, but Lotus had not one but two separate entries in the top 10.

1. Citroën DS
2. Jaguar XK120
3. Ferrari 275GTB
4. Cord 810/812
5. Ferrari 250GT Lusso
6. Ferrari 250GT Short-wheelbase
7. Jaguar E-type
8. Lamborghini Miura
9. Lotus Elan
10. Lotus Elite (1957)

Full story on the new GGLC blog at The most beautiful cars of all time (by Chapman Report Online)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Claiming the Citroen DS is the most beautiful car of all time completely discounts all of their work and lists...

·
Registered
406 Posts
No Alfa Romeo 8c? No Aston Martin of any kind? Gullwing Mercedes? And maybe it's just me but I happen to think the Elise looks much better than the Elan or Elite..

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
No Alfa Romeo 8c? No Aston Martin of any kind? Gullwing Mercedes? And maybe it's just me but I happen to think the Elise looks much better than the Elan or Elite..
+1, weird list.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Claiming the Citroen DS is the most beautiful car of all time completely discounts all of their work and lists...
LOL rotfl, I can agree with that...

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Nice cars but that's a screwed up list!!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beautiful in the eyes of who?I hate these OPINION lists...
I may not agree with the entire list but its hard to dispute the credentials of a jury that includes Giugiaro (S1 Esprit, 250GT), Gandini (Countach, Stratos), Ian Callum (DB7, current XK), Julian Thompson (S1 Elise) and Gordon Murray (McLaren F1). These 5 guys make up 25% of the jury and were personally responsible for IMHO some of the greatest designs of all time.

This is what the jury said about the Citroën DS
* Giorgetto Giugiaro: “The only example of a car really conceived ‘outside the box’. It is just impossible to imitate.”
* Leonardo Fioravanti (former Pininfarina design chief and the man behind Ferrari’s Daytona, Dino and 308GTB): “A real road car that, at its time and perhaps still now, has represented the ‘dream’ in its extreme progress.”
* Peter Stevens (British great responsible for the McLaren F1 and second-generation Lotus Esprit): “I have always considered the fact that this car was first drawn in 1955 to be extraordinary.”
* Marcello Gandini (Bertone stalwart responsible for Lancia Stratos and Lamborghini Countach among many others): “At the time I think it was complete folly, madness from a business and industrial point of view… but it was a really innovative car in 1955. A few people may have thought of all those beautiful ideas, but it was real bravery to implement all of them in one car.”

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I know this will sound weird, but I think designers look at more than looks when they talk beauty. They "see" how it was developed, how and why the lines were chosen, the packaging of the mechanicals. Take a look at some of Gordon Murray's styling comments in R&T. He talks as much about the pure aesthetics as about the derivation of the lines. I'm not being too clear, but hopefully you get where I'm going.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
^^I think I see where you're going. The designers are engineers as well as artists, after all.

My engineer father loved to take weekend jaunts with my brother and me to visit various dams around the western U.S.-he could talk for hours about the beauty of those massive concrete structures.

And we should remember just how successful the Citroen DS was-they sold an awful lot of them...nearly 1.5 million in 21 years.

Tom

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
And we should remember just how successful the Citroen DS was-they sold an awful lot of them...nearly 1.5 million in 21 years.

Tom
By that token, we should nominate the Toyota Camry as the most beautiful car of all time. Just because lots and lots of dull people buy them, that does not make them beautiful.
And yes, I know beauty is in the eye and such...but place a beautiful supermodel next to an ugly betty and tell us which is the best looking.

I think the list is flawed on the basis of the judges. "Top Automotive Designers" is subjective and who's to say they have an eye for beauty over functionality. Heck, I'll state here that the Giugiaro Esprits are ugly. There...I said it. :D

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
What a bunch of dunderheads. This is obviously the most beautiful car of all time...

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm not beholding that Citreon as the best of the best of anything, especially most beautiful. Any Bugatti looks better than the winner.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I think the list is flawed on the basis of the judges. "Top Automotive Designers" is subjective and who's to say they have an eye for beauty over functionality. Heck, I'll state here that the Giugiaro Esprits are ugly. There...I said it. :D

:panic: UGLY? Aaaaah! They're never going to let you back in here! rotfl

I'll admit I like the Stevens version much more.

Subjective lists are great for coalescing our own ideas of beauty and starting conversations, but that's about it.

Tom

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
lol …rotfl... Citron …rotfl… and a most beautiful car list …rotfl… Citron ON a most beautiful car list …rotfl... at the top of the list…WTF? rotfl

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
What a bunch of dunderheads. This is obviously the most beautiful car of all time...
Hard to challenge this choice. Can't imagine what it would have been like to be seen in this back in its day.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hard to challenge this choice. Can't imagine what it would have been like to be seen in this back in its day.
Personally speaking I never figured out the fuss aroung the Atlantic, its a good looking car but I always through the rear and its raised fin looked out of place. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts