The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I have to say I find them awful. I don't feel they are as sticky as the older Hoosiers but the usable lifespan is horrible. Absolutely horrible. Hoosier really screwed the pooch on this one.

Unfortunately, they do fit, but they don't last very long.

We did two autocrosses on a set of Hoosiers, maybe 20 runs. Corded the fronts due to not enough camber. Today we ran with more negative camber (maxed) and brand new fronts.

But the rear tires were also gone. There was tread, but they had less grip than the A048s. Tires should last longer than 2 events and 20-25 runs.

Our plan now is to get a set of the old Kumhos V700s while we wait for Kumho to develop the 710s in the correct sizes (they are supposed to). I would rather use a slower tire that lasts for 50-100 runs than the Hoosiers at this point.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Randy. That REALLY sucks! My son and I each ran today, plus fun runs, and that's 12 in total! I don't think I could afford to buy a new set every other weekend. Sheesh.

How would you compare the V700s with the AO48s? I think I'll hold off on tires for a while, now...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I really like the V700's When I ran in stock class I used them for every regional event and saved the hoosiers for divisionals and prosolos. The V700 IMO is a really good tire. It is fast and priced right. They preform excellently and camber limited cars and it is alot harder to over heat them compared to the hoosiers. I've never driven the AO48's but I'd wager the V700 is a much better tire for auto-x. I wouldn't even shave them, if you really want to you can get them heat cycled but I'd just do that myself.

Even if the 710 or the new hoosier compound is available next year I will still run the v700 regionally it just doesn't make any sense to use a tire that will only last 50 runs on local level events. The v700 will allow you to do alot more practice runs and that is going to make you faster in the long run.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Our plan now is to get a set of the old Kumhos V700s while we wait for Kumho to develop the 710s in the correct sizes (they are supposed to). I would rather use a slower tire that lasts for 50-100 runs than the Hoosiers at this point.
I think we should all send a note to Kumho requesting that they manufacture the right size...

http://www.kumhotires.com/int/Utility/EmailusForm.jsp?strCategory=1

Kumho ECSTA V710 Info...

http://www.kumhousa.com/Products/PtnDetails.asp?mainCatID=1&PtnID=EV710&refAction=PtnDetail
http://www.kumhousa.com/Products/PtnDetails.asp?mainCatID=1&PtnID=EV710

The V710's are a bit oversized, so I wouldn't request anything larger than stock sizes...

http://forum.miata.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=003297;p=
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/158000-158999/158355_89_full.jpg

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Hoosier really screwed the pooch on this one.
I have only been an interested observer on R-compounds so far (running STX), but the experiences with S04's seem very mixed. Even on cars that aren't camber challenged, I have seen strange wear. I saw a set where both the inside and outside edge were badly worn, and they were run with very high pressures, and plenty of camber. Very weird. The lifetime you're getting on the Elise is disappointing, 20 runs is not enough on such a light car.

I was originally planning to run the A048's until they are worn out, but after hearing that they gave up 2s on the Hoosiers in your first test, I might have to at least get some V700's sooner. Next season will be mainly for fun and getting used to the car. If I end up taking it to national events, I'll hope that the V710's will be available in the right size.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The ECSTA V700s aren't that durable either. I would recommend that you not get them shaved, and maybe heat cycle them if there is any chance it could prolong their lives. I had a shaved set of those last only 50 runs before cording (the earlier version with the same rubber as the Victoracers lasted over 100 runs).

del105, I take it you're talking about the Victoracer V700. The ECSTA V700 is a completely different animal. They don't work well on camber challenged cars and are less durable. It's too bad there's no Victoracer that will fit the front of the Elise. 205/55-16 is too tall, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
For comparison, both sets of A3S04 Hoosiers I used on the Miata lasted about 45-50 runs. Those were heat-cycled.

I actually do like the performance of the new Hoosiers, but don't like the short life and high price. I'm hoping that the V710s will be better.

I'm driving on Victoracers for now. Neener neener!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't know, I was talking about the Ecstas. I didn't count how many runs it seemed like alot. I flip them on the rim 1 time and the wore pretty evenly.
I don;t think the victos will fit but I'd really like someone to measure the front of the car. because a 225/50/16 "might" fit. I'd like to know where the larger tires are rubbing. It just seems like if a 205 hoosier will fit a 225 kumho would too.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Surferjer said:
The AO48s are looking better all the time...
May be it is you who is getting better, not the tires.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Well, I'm still on the Advans and getting better, but next season I think I'll only go to the AO48s unless some wonderful tire is discovered this winter.

Considering that the Advans don't really warm up much during an outX run, the Elise should be a lot better on the AO48s.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Lotus did say they were working with Yokohama and developing an R compound version of the 048, I just don't know if these were road race or autocross.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Randy Chase said:

We did two autocrosses on a set of Hoosiers, maybe 20 runs. Corded the fronts due to not enough camber. Today we ran with more negative camber (maxed) and brand new fronts.
how much negative camber did you get? (what is max neg camber?)

did you find it to improve turn in/cornering Gs by a lot/little/not at all?

thanks.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>how much negative camber did you get? (what is max neg camber?) <<

Bear in mind that when referencing camber, you also need to note at what ride height. As in LTS, LSS, or reset to another height. The suspension gains negative camber at lower ride heights and as the suspension compresses. Double a-arm suspensions have more favorable camber curves hence require less static camber than, say, strut suspensions. The tire still needs what it needs of course. But it doesn't care if you got there with more static and less dynamic camber or vice versa for a given amount of roll angle.

I don't recall which position the LSS suspension uses but the LTS can be lowered at least one more increment. I think the amount at the spring is about 5 mm, which would equate to somewhat more change at the wheel due to suspension geometry.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Good points.

a pyrometer would help dial this in. I am concerned that we won't be able to get enough neg camber... (I'm getting the sport option)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LTS can be lowered 5mm to match LSS. LSS can also be lowered another 5mm but may be riding on the bump stops. Nick Adams warned me about doing that.

Not using a camber gauge.... front was about neg 1 and rears were around neg 2. I would have loved to have been able to reverse those settings.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since the rear Hoosiers had ZERO grip, we could not test anything.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The A048 is already a "R" compound tire... I believe you are thinking of the equivalent to the S compound of the current A032 yoko tire (S is a softer "R" compound for autocrossing, whereas the R is more for track days).

I hope they come out with this too, but I doubt they will sell many since the serious AX folks get Hoosiers or Kumhos, and the less serious usually stick with street compounds. The market for AX compound tires you can actually drive to the event is pretty small, unfortunately.

James A said:
Lotus did say they were working with Yokohama and developing an R compound version of the 048, I just don't know if these were road race or autocross.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was aware that Yokohama has been considering getting back into the autocross market. For those that were not around, at one point Yokohama was THE tire to have, then BFG passed them with the R1 tire and Yokohama dropped autocross tires. Then Kumho and Hoosier moved up and BFG dropped out after some not-as-successful tire attempts.

Now it's mainly Hoosier and Kumho.

I don't know if Yokohama really understands how the market has changed in the last 15 years.

I would be very interested in a properly sized tire with longer life. It does not have to have the ultimate grip for local events and practice days.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
why doens't bridgestone make any R-spec tires? Why are the wasting their time in F1 if they're not going to make proper competition tires for us??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts