The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The US version of the Vauxhall VX (the Pontiac Solstice) is going into production. Not sure of the price or details. I wonder if it will handle as good as the Elise based VX220 it is replacing?

Note the Elise like reflector on the front wing... erh fender:)

Also the New Mercedes SLK is set to be released later this year.
The top of the line SLK 55 AMG will have 363Bhp and sprint to 60 in a mere 4.9 sec.

Will these cars tempt away more people from the Elise waiting list?

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Thanks for the pics and info. However, I can speak for myself when I say that I don't think either of these will pull me away from the Elise. The experience of driving an Elise is a special one that I'm sure neither of these cars will be able to duplicate. On top of that the Elise is an exotic. I think the SLK still looks ugly and it's still a cruiser more than a sports car. I'd guess that the Pontiac will be like a Miata.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Shay2nak has pretty much taken the words out of my mouth.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
The solstice is a budget roadster that is supposed to provide some thrills for around $20k. The MB on the other hand, when at the top of the range (SLK55) will be close to $70k and will appeal to the luxury buyer.

Really, the Elise has few true competitors, but some people will consider the S2000, Boxster, or Z4 instead.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Re: Re: The new competition

atyclb said:
the MB sure won't---it's missing a pedal
How true, how true, that's what kept me from buying the original SLK when it came out. Whats the point of driving a roadster in auto?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RacingDynamcs said:
compretition?

all those cars are a joke...
I wouldn't go that far, but I don't think they will offer the same level of performance and feel that the Elise does.

What about the upcoming Boxster coupe?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Okay, I'll post what I know about the existing SLK, TT, and Boxster.

The TT - a hairdresser's car. Obviously it looks good and is probably quite comfortable and much more roomy than the Elise. Probably much better at 130mph on the autobahn as well.

The SLK - very good at high speeds on the autobahn, very numb at the limit. In other words, although it is capable, you have no clue what it's doing until you go into a spin and wipe out and go off the road.

The Boxster - I think the exact words from a Lotus engineer were 'you will be very disappointed.' I can't imagine the next-generation Boxter will be THAT much different.

I believe the idea of the Elise for the American market is to fill up 2200-3000 cars capacity on the Lotus line each year, or rather to bring in roughly $30,000,000 in revenue annually.

If there is currently a wait-list of 2400 cars, they've sold out the first year's production. It sounds like it MAY see another year's production after that and then the whole car will get redesigned. In other words, their business plan is already met, regardless of what competition comes along.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The next-gen Boxter MAY equal the Elise in power and top end, but it will never equal the Elise in handling or feel.

It is marketted to do something completely different.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I like the ELise, only the Elise and nothing but an Elise.

I have a TT, it will probablly become my winter car, the AWD is nice in the snow.

TT was described correctly.

The only car that comes a close second for me is the Alfa.

Attachments

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
The Alfa is very nice from what I've seen and read. However, the pic of the Boxster Coupe is hideous. That bumper is ugly as hell. The last best design for the 911 was back in 1998 the 993s. I'd take a '98 over any of the current ugly Porsches.

Still, no other car will pull me away from purchasing an Elise...

·
Registered
528 Posts
shay2nak said:
The Alfa is very nice from what I've seen and read. However, the pic of the Boxster Coupe is hideous. That bumper is ugly as hell. The last best design for the 911 was back in 1998 the 993s. I'd take a '98 over any of the current ugly Porsches.

Still, no other car will pull me away from purchasing an Elise...
The 993 look is coming back in the 997.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1183269

·
Registered
308 Posts
hi shay2nak, u are naughty u lucky santa doesnt read your language.

guys can u tell me where i can find more about that Alfa?

·
Registered
409 Posts
banTT0r said:
I like the ELise, only the Elise and nothing but an Elise.

I have a TT, it will probablly become my winter car, the AWD is nice in the snow.

TT was described correctly.

The only car that comes a close second for me is the Alfa.
TT would make a perfect winter car, with winter sport tires of course. Only problem would be lack of ability to carry four passengers comfortably - cargo capacity isn't a problem, supposedly it's big enough to carry a bike inside with wheels knocked off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Derek said:
The US version of the Vauxhall VX (the Pontiac Solstice) is going into production. Not sure of the price or details. I wonder if it will handle as good as the Elise based VX220 it is replacing?
Huh?

There may be plans to badge the Solstice as a VX on the world market, but it has very little inherited characteristics from the VX220- it is a COMPLETELY different car other than being small and rear wheel drive.

It was originally penned on a clean sheet as a concept car, and GM is very proud of the fact that it went from concept to actual rolling chassis in just a few months. (2001?) It was well enough received that they decided to put it into production, but are doing so on an internally developed "Kappa" platform for "small rear wheel drive cars", notably front engine, not mid engined, and the frame is designed to be cost effective, which pretty much rules out exotic bonded aluminum. The Kappa platform is also planned for use in the Nomad mini-station wagon creature.

The Solstice is an interesting car, and at the intended price point of about $20K is well worth a look, but a VX220 it isn't.

Threat level to the Elise? Low...

:D

-Knute

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Not exactly direct competition - like said the Solstice will compete in the 20K Miata range - the fiancee really wants that SLK though...

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
hi banTT0r,
what do you mean about me being naughty and santa not knowing my language? I'm guessing you're talking about my name, right? :D

BTW, I read about the Alfa in some of the British car magazines like Top Gear and Car. Yes and it is a lot more expensive. If I remember correctly, it's at least twice the price of the Elise.

hi gotapex,
The new pic of the 997 doesn't look bad. What do you think? I still like the original red taillight stripe that's been with Porsche for a long time instead of the current 911 taillight cluster.

Oh, I forgot, about the only other car I'd buy instead of the Elise are TVRs. Same minimalistic & lightweight ideas, but in a bigger package. Too bad they don't sell them in the US... :p

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My understanding is the Solstice is going to weight 2400 -2600 pounds and have a 170 HP Ecotec GM 4 cylinder,,, no thanks. And the MB, I just don't consider a 3800 pound car a sports car, I have a heavy high power car, it's a good commuter, NOT a sports car.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts