The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's Spring. Everything is green. It's sunny and beautiful outside. So it's time to start planning for the winter project :). The next coolant service will be due next year so I decided I'd make it into a major project and replace the original radiator, relocate the HVAC resistor pack, put on stainless brake lines, add Inokinetics cool front bleeders, and put in a big bore brake master cylinder. I've started collecting parts.

Question for the folks who've done the resistor pack, do you have an AC shop evacuate the system before taking the clam off, take it home to do the work, and then after buttoned up take it bake in for the recharge? I don't want to vent the refrigeratant. What o-rings need to be replaced with the job?

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
A worthy project.

How did you decide to go with a different master cylinder? The standard braking system is arguably the best thing about the car, a ton of fun on track catching the high hp cars.

Just curious.

·
Less is Better
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A worthy project.

How did you decide to go with a different master cylinder? The standard braking system is arguably the best thing about the car, a ton of fun on track catching the high hp cars.

Just curious.
It's not going to effect braking capability, which I agree is excellent. In fact, it will require a bit more force on the pedal. But it will shorten the travel of the pedal from initial bite to heavy load. I don't like that pedal travel. It should also help lining the pedals up for heel and toe at different braking levels.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I hear you about positioning the pedals for heel/toe, that‘s a big deal.
I’ve not heard of doing it by changing MC. Interestin.
What year is your car? Some models allow this pad to do the job.

·
Less is Better
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I hear you about positioning the pedals for heel/toe, that‘s a big deal.
I’ve not heard of doing it by changing MC. Interestin.
What year is your car? Some models allow this pad to do the job.
My modivation isn't primarily for pedal position. It's to minimize the travel between initial bite and full force. I understand this is a common trait of the brakes in the '05. I did the throttle pedal reposition and it is in the perfect spot when I press hard, that was fun to do.

Normally you would do this on a car with a big brake kit to bring pedal travel back to normal. But for me, I'm just looking for reduced travel.

This is a modification that the Subaru folks do to improve the pedal feel on Legacys and Imprezas. The WRX and STi have 1/8" larger masters than the other cars. Subarus are legos, so you can mix and match parts. Swapping the MC makes the brakes far less spongy.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Cool. Maybe take some pics before, after, all that. Others might wanna do this too.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
If you don’t want to release refrigerant into the atmosphere then you will need to go to a garage that does AC repairs and have them collect it from the AC system.

Regarding O rings, Pepboys or Autozone sell AC O rings in packs. Just get one of those and the special PAG lubricant. Replace any O ring where you opened a seal.

·
Less is Better
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don’t want to release refrigerant into the atmosphere then you will need to go to a garage that does AC repairs and have them collect it from the AC system.

Regarding O rings, Pepboys or Autozone sell AC O rings in packs. Just get one of those and the special PAG lubricant. Replace any O ring where you opened a seal.

View attachment 1262625

Awesome, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts