The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the well known Elise window rattle on my passenger side door. It was driving me nuts. I tightened all the usual suspect screws, everything was tight. If I turned the two bottom adjustment screws enough to stop the noise over sharp bumps, the window wasn't seating well when rolled up. This often fixes the rattle by pressing the window into the door's weather seal, but it wasn't the right solution for my car.

So after tinkering with the door panel off, I found that the upper plastic guide that slides on the window rail at both the front and rear was loose enough that I could move the window back and forth just a bit. There are two guides per side and the bottom guides were tight.

Here's a picture of the window down, showing the guide. It's epoxied to the window and pinches the rail. It just doesn't pinch quite tight enough and lets the window knock around. Unfortunately, the guide is not adjustable.

In this picture, the window is raised and you can see the guide has worn the paint from the rail. Either it used to be tighter, or it's been tapping at the rail long enough to wear through the paint.

I cleaned all the grease from the rail and put a piece of electrical tape in the location where the guide rests in the down position. I then re-greased the rails.

The rattling is totally gone. I've run the window up and down a couple of dozen times and there is a slight noise when the guides roll over the tape edge, but everything is holding in place and the door has been rattle free.

The alternative to the tape that I was considering is a strip of very thin felt. But the tape appears to be working so I'm going to leave it this way for now.

Hopefully I won't have problems in the summer heat, but at least I know where the rattle is coming from and I can try something else if the tape gives out.

·
Registered
Too many, don’t care.
1,437 Posts
My driver side window rattles as if the door was full of loose hardware. It drives me nuts! (no pun intended)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Also check to make sure that the bolt in the very bottom of your first photo used to adjust the window is actually threaded into the window rail system. There is an actual slot for it to screw into. Mine was just pressed up against the rail and was loose. Once I got it threaded into the slot the window is so much tighter and doesn't rattle at all now. I have small hands so I was able to put my hand through the door handle slot and feel where the thread is while screwing the bolt in from the outside with my other hand.

·
Less is Better
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also check to make sure that the bolt in the very bottom of your first photo used to adjust the window is actually threaded into the window rail system. There is an actual slot for it to screw into. Mine was just pressed up against the rail and was loose. Once I got it threaded into the slot the window is so much tighter and doesn't rattle at all now. I have small hands so I was able to put my hand through the door handle slot and feel where the thread is while screwing the bolt in from the outside with my other hand.
The window adjustment screws definitely work to move the window from side to side in the door. But using the pressure between the door weather stripping and the window to stop the rattle can strain the motor and mechanism and cause sealing issues when the window is up. Or in my case, just not stop the rattling.

·
Less is Better
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found that the motor drive was a little loose in it's track when the window was all the way down. The window clanked around when down, even with the tape on the rails that I described above.

A little foam between the drive and the window itself seems to have tightened the guide and the window is much more quiet when down.

Attachments

·
Less is Better
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the tape that holds the vapor barrier looses it's tack like mine did, 3M 4910 vhb tape appears to be the correct replacement.

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
bump

1 - 9 of 9 Posts