The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Thanks for posting that. Can't wait to hear the TV commentators try to explain it in 30 seconds. Any who at the race itself outside the pit wall will know what's going on? Esp if even one beer later.

Sure it's a big part of the sport to try and follow these complex strategies, but at what point does it become a shell game?

·
Illegal Alien
4,773 Posts
Thanks for posting that. Can't wait to hear the TV commentators try to explain it in 30 seconds. Any who at the race itself outside the pit wall will know what's going on? Esp if even one beer later.

Sure it's a big part of the sport to try and follow these complex strategies, but at what point does it become a shell game?
I keep track of the tires, stops and gap times at the races using my F1 app. As to the drinks, the Tito's Vodka beats the beer.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
How do you guys think the new engine rules will play out?

Whatever happened to the 18" wheels Lotus was planning?

My wife wants to go to Japan to see the race this year. Anyone else gone?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow, Alonso's wreck looked TERRIBLE. Crazy to see him walk away from that.

Glad to see Haas is coming out strong! Now here's hoping Seb and Kimi can catch the Mercedes this year.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Reactions: shay2nak

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6th place for Haas in their 1st race was not that bad! I understand 1st race of the season there were more fall outs perhaps than "normal" which elevates their position but... not a bad showing.

I am glad Fernando made it out alive from participating in the first ever collision / accident with a Haas car.

Vettel sure was friendly with Mark Webber during the awards ceremony. Not what a recall when they were team mates. lol

The new qualifying... ok ... it wasn't broken last year but I guess now it increases the chances that a normal front runner will screw up and be further back in the pack - causing more "excitement" during the race as they make up their positions.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The first race was actually great given it seems quite a few of the teams have found parity in performance with one another. Also, I know everyone hated the new qualy format. However, everyone hates everything in the beginning, just because it's different. If you really look at the new rules, here's what they'll do:

1) no more people sitting around to see if they "need" to run again.
2) new set-up forces you to go balls out from the beginning given the new time run-off format.
3) pretty much ensures most teams (outside of maybe MB and Fer) will run on the fastest tire out of the gate.
4) creates urgency that will cause some to make mistakes (including leading teams). This can only level set the field.

Overall, the new format creates a deep sense of urgency and cuts out the BS "strategy" on when to run or or not. I think we'll see it play out more in the next round. Luckily, the new format didn't get nixed as they had first suggested.

·
Illegal Alien
4,773 Posts
Yeah, just great to see the pack sitting in the garages with 7 minutes on the clock. They just don't have the tires or engine/transmission life to be about to afford to just keep driving.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The new qualy format needs to be tweaked. If you are in the pit, you must get on track with at least 3 minutes to go to get in a hot lap. Because of this there are fewer cars on track in the last 3 minutes of a session. Another problem is that a car on the bottom with only a few seconds left before being disqualified does a hot lap good enough to move up, leaves the car now on the bottom out because they do not have enough time to finish their hot lap. They need allow them to finish the hot lap they are on when time expires.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Wow that was exciting. Finally some other than merc action. Nice to see them take each other out. Idiots! And Max, wow.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
That opening lap sure got me out of my seat! And I agree, racing incident. Hamilton correct to go for the pass on the right, and once on that grass it was all a done deal. Once he was into the pass attempt at all what else could he have done when Rosberg countered?

If they were not so far out ahead it might have collected a few more.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have never been a fan of F1 passing rules. How can a driver tell if a front wing overlaps their rear tire looking in a tiny mirror? But I agree with the stewards 100% for once. HAM attempted a passing move with a low chance of a safe outcome unless ROS left him room that he wasn't obligated to leave and paid the price. ROS closed the door too late and paid the price for it too. Two drivers making poor spit second decisions.

It is easy to analyze post race and I wasn't the one driving. But, as to what could HAM have done: later in the race RIC attempted a pass on VET and locked up, VET didn't close the door on him like he was allowed to and risked being passed to be able to finish the race. Yes ROS/HAM was much more compressed time wise and there might not have been time for HAM to switch to the outside... but ROS was already going off the racing line to defend to the inside when HAM committed to going further inside. Seems like a low percentage move to me and you are depending on the other driver to just give up a position.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts