The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing this question pop up, whether or not there are currently any lotuses that can be considered supercars is beside the point in this thread...

I figured I would start off with my point of view on the subject. I poked my nose into a (virtual) dictionary and this is what I came up with... lets apply it to the elise and the exige.

ex·ot·ic Pronunciation[ig-zot-ik]
–adjective
1. of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized. (a definate yes, it came from abroad and hasnt been fully americanized...:nanner:)

2. strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance. (another yes:up:)

3. of a uniquely new or experimental nature. (still the only perfomance car company that focuses on lightweight from the get go, and doesnt shave weight off a normal model, throw on some carbon fiber, and charge you thousands more-poke-)

4. of, pertaining to, or involving stripteasing. (It has been known to happen:popcorn:)

So there you have it... incontrovertible truth that the elise and exige are both exotics... tho you are welcome to argue if you want to look foolish ;)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Most people that don't think they're exotics drive minivans or other FWD crap :p

If you get this argument or "snobbiness" from an F-car or Lambo guy, what can you say, they're cars are "more" exotic? LOL!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
My Elise cost less than a fully-optioned Ford F150. It's got the same engine as the Pontiac Vibe. It's also so small as to be comical. Fun toy, yes. Exotic? I vote no.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Exotic to me has little to do with cost. It has to do with the definition, being very different. Unusual. Rarer.

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is a thread I was going to start today as well. I was looking at my car the other day and wondering......is it one of, if not THE most exotic looking cars out there right now? And then thinking further, we all know what little boys think of our cars, they are in SHOCK, can't believe it's real..."does it transform" I've been asked.

So that made me ask myself the question....in terms of lust, are our cars the NEW Countach?

OH, btw I notice there isn't anything in the definition pertaining to cost of said "exotic" object. I see about 11ty billion Porsche's during a day....probably as many as I see fregin Mercedes...or that type of car.....hardly exotic.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I didn't realize it was up for discussion. Here's what MSN says:

The Elise is an exotic mid-engine roadster from Lotus that was new to the U.S. market for 2005

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Another vote for Exotic. As the OP clearly pointed out, the Elise fits the definition to a tee. Cost has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yeah man, don't get to cought up in the words. Yeah it's Exotic....it's less exotic in SoCal than it is in Texas. But if your definition of Exotic means very unattainable...then na'....it's not exotic...it's to cheap.

For the same price as our sucky cars you could buy the Desmodicci RR, one of the most exotic bikes out there....Pshhhh.....

To me it's Exotic because it's a one of a kind car....there is truly no other car like it.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Daniel Song's was in "Modified Luxury and Exotics" magazine. And we all know it isn't any luxury car.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I consider it an Exotic. I don't consider it a Supercar, however. That's why it often finishes low in comparos...its oftentimes compared to supercars.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes exotic, and yes I'd readily admit the cheapest of the exotics, but it's still a member of that club imo

Supercar... ugh, I hate when people who don't have a clue use this term... I've seen people use it for the Elise, and I've seen people call the Lambo Murcie LP640, or the Porsche CGT a supercar... ugh they just don't have a clue what a supercar is, though I'll admit it's hard to define... by all means the car must be insane and crazy beyond anything else which it could be compared, this term imo is saved for but only a few... I can appreciate the quality and the performance of a Ford GT, a F430, etc etc.... but these in no way shape or form are supercars. They are nice though! But I'd laugh if I were talking to someone who named any of the above a supercar, :no:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
When I was growing up, there were only 3 exotic car companys lambo,ferrari, and lotus. Lotus is still a exotic car company as far as im concerned.

But is it a supercar. I guess not. Not with less than 400hp anyway.

For example, The Carrera GT is a super car, but not a exotic.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yes, I consider my Elise to be an exotic. Just like an exotic dancer I once saw, and no, not a pole dancer which would be a Porsche -poke-

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Supercar... ugh, I hate when people who don't have a clue use this term...and I've seen people call the Lambo Murcie LP640, or the Porsche CGT a supercar... ugh they just don't have a clue what a supercar is, though I'll admit it's hard to define... by all means the car must be insane and crazy beyond anything else which it could be compared, this term imo is saved for but only a few... I can appreciate the quality and the performance of a Ford GT, a F430, etc etc.... but these in no way shape or form are supercars. They are nice though! But I'd laugh if I were talking to someone who named any of the above a supercar, :no:
The original Fort GT40 was a homologation special, thus by definition a supercar, as it was really a race car.

The Porsche 959, Ferrari Testarossa, Countach, were all supercars in their time. I would say the term is reserved for the highest horsepower production exotics of their day. (I have the feeling Wasabi is going to reserve the supercar term for modified cars, which to me, are disqualified.)

I always considered the Esprit a borderline supercar, and the Corvette a never-was. I think Viper and new Ford GT both qualify today, which will make Wasabi laugh, I suppose.

The only 2 indisputable supercars would be the McLaren F1 and the Jaguar XJ220

·
Registered
826 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can think of some other sueprcars ya'.......how about the Vector :) and the Saleen....what about Calloway Corvettes, the ones with full bodywork?

Is the new Zr1 a supercar, fasted production thing around "the ring"

What about the Bugatti EB110? hmmm....ZONDA!!!!

I think the meat of the problem is in such a SUPER crappy word like SUPERCAR. What's Super....?.....the price is super high....the cars are super rare.....wait..I just argued myself out of that word being sucky....it's spot on!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
lotus=rare, special, different, hand built, history=exotic

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
When I was growing up, there were only 3 exotic car companys lambo,ferrari, and lotus. Lotus is still a exotic car company as far as im concerned.

But is it a supercar. I guess not. Not with less than 400hp anyway.

For example, The Carrera GT is a super car, but not a exotic.
Hello, Hello Kitty! When were you growing up?

NONE of the street legal Lotus cars leading up to the Esprit...7's, Elites, Elans, Europas, Eclats, Elites again, M100 Elans...were considered Exotics. Unique sports cars, maybe, but never exotic.

The Esprit tried to 'claim' exotic early on, but in S1 and S2 form nobody was buying it...it was a wedge body on a stretched Europa chassis with shoddy build, assembled from BMC and other parts bins, and a notoriously troublesome motor.

Only the later Esprits truly could pretend to be 'exotic' in the common sense of the word.

Whenever I get to thinking the Elise/Exige is exotic, it winds up parked next to a Lambo, Ferrari, Ford GT, Maserati, higher end Porsche, and I'm quickly disabused of that notion.

Look at the engine bay or chassis details (forget the interiors, not in same universe) of a modern Ferrari or the Ford GT, then look at the same components in the Lotus. It's like comparing NASA/Space Shuttle level execution agains an erector set. The ONE thing on the Exise that comes off as exotic to me are the door hinges...

It is a unique car, a niche all its own. But I vote 'no' for exotic.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts