The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why?

Because Lotus is rolling out the USA Elise at the show. Clyde (lotusmonza) will be there and give us special treatment.

Where?

LA AutoShow. http://www.laautoshow.com

The Los Angeles Convention Center is located at the junction of the I-10-Santa Monica and the 110-Harbor Freeways.

The address is:
1201 S. Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90015

When?
Friday January 2 is when we plan to meet. The event runs Jan 2 thru Jan 11. The doors open at 11:00am on Friday.

Details:

GENERAL PARKING:
On-site parking is available at South and West Halls for $10.00 per day. The entrance to South Hall parking is off Venice Blvd., west of Figueroa Blvd. The West Hall parking structure is located off Cherry St., between 11th St., and Pico Blvd.

Questions?

1. Meet for food somewhere? Maybe before the doors open? Maybe in the afternoon? Where? Engine Company 28 is near, but it does not open until 11:15am. http://www.engineco.com

2. Where to meet otherwise? Just converge at the Lotus booth? How will we know who is who? Badges? Buttons? Gang signs?

3. Should Elisetalk pay for a professional foot massager for Clyde? :)

Please reply with your thoughts and if you are attending on Friday.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What the plan is. For those needing a hotel, we will be staying at the Holiday Inn City Center across the street. If you want to book a room, please do so before it's sold out! Alternate location (and cheaper) will be the Holiday Inn Downtown. Either hotel will work.

We will meet for breakfast on Friday January 2nd at The Pantry is at Figueroa and 9th. Breakfast time will be announced here. Then we will walk over to the convention center to attack en mass the Lotus booth. :)

I would like also to arrange a dinner meet for later on Friday for those that want to hang out and discuss. That will be within walking distance at Engine Company 28. This is just a suggestion.

Now..how will we recognize each other?

People who will be there-

Randy Chase
Mikester
Andrew
MattG
Modern Wedgie (+4-6) She has an entourage!
BrianK
zvezdah1 (Chris) +1
andykeck
Kev111
Allan Gibbs
jml1952
Vantage
MacMan
Neil (littlebastard)
David
LarryB (+1-2)
grudkin
FilthyJason (+1)

People who might/probably will be there-

L8BRAKR
pcpacker
jonM3Coupe

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lodging around the show-

(from LA friends):

Not the best area to stay. You might look around USC.
Probably the cheapest hotel in the downtown L.A. area is the Holiday Inn or the Kawada. The latter is at 2nd and Hill streets.

The Pasadena/Glendale area is a super easy commute down the 110 to downtown.

The Holiday Inn downtown is supposed to start at $79. 213-628-9900

The Holiday Inn City Center is across the street from the convention center so you could walk and not worry about parking. $99 213-748-1291.

Both Holiday Inns apparenty charge for parking which totally frosts me.

West of the 110 are also the Quality Inn and Suites $79 213 385 7141 and Ramada Inn Downtown at $65 213 483 6363 The Ramada is actually supposed to be fairly nice according to a friend. Don't know personally.

Day Inn Metro Plaza is across from Olvera St. at Broadway and Spring. $69 213-680-0200.

My guide doesn't list the really small hotels, so everything in Downtown, Culver City, and Pasadena seem to start around $65 a night.

Stay downtown at the Holiday Inn or the Kawada or the New Otani.

There's an 'Extended StayAmerica' between Culver City and Westchester, right beside the Howard Hughes center. $449 a week for a studio w/kitchen. It's just protected enough from the 405 that you'll be able to sleep, and there's plenty of good eats near there and a very cool theatre with a bar. I'm a big fan of Dinah's restaurant...actually quite good southern cooking.

I really like the Residence Inns, but you'd have to go to El Segundo to find one that doesn't charge $10 min for parking and even that one's $139 a night.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I'll be in the area around that time frame, at this point it's about 50/50 if I'd make it. Should have a better idea in Dec.

1. Sounds good, maybe a late lunch?
2. It's been quite a while since I've been on the East side... we'd have to agree on the signs. Meeting at the booth sounds fine, pretty sure once a few of us are there we'll be able to find each other.
3. Being early on the first day, we might be off the hook for this, now if it's for the last day.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Normally I would take that Friday off, since it follows a holiday. However, this is a special occasion, so count me in.

Keep in mind that you can reach the Convention Center via the Subway system. If you stay downtown, you can take the Red Line to the Blue Line; if you opt for Pasadena, you can take the Gold Line to the Red Line to the Blue Line. Also, if you take the train to Union Station, you can get to the show via the Red Line/Blue Line. Basic fare is $1.35 each way for the subway.

Kawada is pretty cheap, but I hear that the rooms are very small. It is just a couple of blocks away from a Red Line station. If you can afford to splurge, the Biltmore on Pershing Square is a beautiful landmark hotel in downtown. If you are coming from out of town to visit, Pasadena might be a better choice, as there's lots to there and it's a nice area. I'm sure you can locate decent hotels via an Internet search.

I would be inclined to get to the auto show when it opens. I believe you can get your hand stamped and have in and out privileges. Of course, they have food at the show; not bad, but rather overpriced.

Still wondering what they do about media days. Normally, they hold these before the show opens to the general public, but it sounds a little different this year with an opening on a Friday.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next question. Based on Clyde's suggestion, would people be interested in a group block of room at a hotel not too far away for January 1st, 2004?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll be there!

Yeah, I know this is my first post ever, but I've been lurking for a long time, and Randy knows who I am.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
No hotel for me.

For convenience, it looks like you would have a hard time beating the Holiday Inn (City Center location, not the Downtown one). It looks nice. Seems to cost about $150 per night, limit of 2 people per room. http://www.holiday-inn.com .

The Kawada seems to be cheaper, but it's not as close to the Convention Center (10 minute subway ride) and probably not as nice as Holiday Inn. I know it's adequate, because I work for the state and lots of our people coming in from Sacramento stay there. http://www.kawadahotel.com .

Note: the Rose Bowl football game and Tournament of Roses Parade are on January 1st, so hotels in Pasadena might be hard to come by.

If this is a mini-vacation and you aren't going to live at the Auto Show, you might want to consider staying in Santa Monica on or near the beach. Even though it's January, we often have spectacularly sunny days at that time of year. There are a number of pricey boutique hotels there, but also a Holiday Inn and probably other cheaper places.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Media days are December 29th and 30th. Not open to the general public.

Special event the night of December 30th. For $100 you can preview the show (or $200 for access to VIP area, whatever that means) and eat free hors-d'oeuvres! Tax deductible, as it benefits charity.

Normal entry fee is $10. You can get $2 off with coupon from Chevron gas stations or local car dealers.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'll be there, though will probably stay with relatives in Orange rather than do the hotel thing. Friday AM sounds great.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,130 Posts
I'd love to join you guys but I will be out of town until 1/7/04. I'm planning on attending the show either on the 9th or 10th.

Clearly I picked the wrong time to be out of town!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Count me in.

... and... I live in Glendale - it's not TOO bad to get downtown from here, but traffic on the 5 & 110 will be awful (granted, you can bypass the 5 by taking the 2, but you still have to deal with the 110).

Don't forget, L.A. has this weird underground tunnel system with a train that runs through it (I believe they call it a "sub" way) - it goes from Burbank through the hot spots in Hollywood, just west of the Miracle Mile, through the ghetto, into downtown, through more ghetto and down to Long Beach. It's $1.50 round trip (less than parking) and is about 4-6 blocks walk to the convention center from the closest subway exit.

I usually park at my office (Hollywood & Vine) and take the subway when I go downtown - less hassle & you don't have to deal with traffic.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
The Pantry is at Figueroa and 9th if people want to meet for breakfast. It's super greasy super good food. Then we can hit the doors just as it opens.

I was planning on parking at my dad's place (just outside downtown), then taking the dash (a whopping 25 cents) or getting dropped off at the show. Mind you, this for me is the cheapest solution for parking, as its real expensive parking downtown during the week. If anyone is interested in this parking solution, let me know.

As for hotel, I would suggest the Holiday Inn downtown. Everything else is too expensive. Too bad I dont still live there...otherwise I'd be glad to offer couch space for cheap people like me :)

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
It wasn't too hard to talk my wife into leaving Seattle for LA in January, so yeah, I'll be there too.

I haven't booked any tickets yet but barring any surprises I plan to be there on Friday.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Count me in. What time are we meeting? Also, I think meeting at the Lotus booth would be a greet idea. I mean, it's the first place we'd head to anyway. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is my first Post:) , I've been between a few different forums, and this is great. I will also plan on joining everyone at the show. Can't wait to see the Elise display.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts