The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 160 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
This thread is AWESOME! so many questions answered in one place and so many more i didn't even think to ask. Was going to ask about insurance but a handy run at the search tool has shown me a thread i need to go read.

Anyhow, I'm a slightly big guy. 6' 2" 275 lbs. I know the car is a little small but i still want one! I'm looking at picking up an 06 or 07 when i get my 2012 bonus next year. I found a used car dealership here in Ft. Worth that happened to have an 05 as a trade in. They let me sit in it to see how i fit (the hard top makes it very difficult i'm gonna be a soft top kind of guy i think) but they wouldn't let me test drive it. :rolleyes:

Anyhow back on track here ... So fits like a glove took on a whole new meaning. everything was snug and felt like the car just wrapped around me. So my first question, to any big guys that have one of these, do you encounter any issues steering with the door being so close to the left arm?

my second question, are there any major differences between the 05, 06, and 07?

·
Back to the Future, again
6,159 Posts
I don't intend on driving my (if I find one to buy) as a daily driver, unless my daily POS dies an unceremonious death on me. But in LA, what's the difference?

As long as these damn rains don't come back, I should be good in this car as long as I keep an eye out for all the debris on the freeway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just brought home a 06 exige and wanted to share my first impression as a DD. I've done a lot of research prior to the purchase and a lot of the reasons why the car doesn't make a good DD is blown out of proportion.

It all depends on what you have driven before. Of course you can't compare the practicality to a civic. I had a modified e46 M3 before this and the exige is better in most ways.

–Does not ride like a go-cart and is more civilized.
–I can go over speed bumps and curves relatively quickly.
–Holds only 10.5gallons of gas (200miles maybe?)
–You can see the blind spots, just gotta get used to the mirrors.
–Seats are comfortable as long as you're not arching your back
–Car is not loud at all. Thinking about an after market exhaust
–If you're over 6' and/or overweight, this car probably isn't for you.
–You will get the most attention on the road.
–AC works well in California.
–No power-steering but the steering is fairly light compared to an NSX.
–You touch shoulders if two guys are sitting in it.
–Was able to fit my golf clubs in the trunk, w/out the golf bag tho.
–Being lower to the ground isn't a problem and actually helps shade you in from the sun
–Old ladies will LOVE your car.
–I'm able to drive around in my flip-flops
–no places to put anything! i still need to figure out where i can store stuff like phone, CDs, etc...

I'm probably forgetting a lot of stuff but hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
–no places to put anything! i still need to figure out where i can store stuff like phone, CDs, etc...
CDs? Hahahahah. You are funny!

I throw small stuff like phones, pens, etc into the shelf or the cubby by the passenger or driver. Since I use my phone as my MP3 player, I put it on the shelf where the ipod holder goes (as I have also added an AuxIn). Highly recommend replacing the whole audio system with something that doesn't suck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
CDs? Hahahahah. You are funny!

I throw small stuff like phones, pens, etc into the shelf or the cubby by the passenger or driver. Since I use my phone as my MP3 player, I put it on the shelf where the ipod holder goes (as I have also added an AuxIn). Highly recommend replacing the whole audio system with something that doesn't suck.
yeah... CDs... my M3 didn't even play MP3s so I've always had CDs.. haha... And the aftermarket decks looked out of place. I hate how the deck screen in the lotus reflects off the back window at night. I plan on getting this one.. Kenwood KIV-701 Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
Let me know what you guys think... I wanted one with a screen so i can hook up a rear camera but didn't want a flip out screen because it covers the air vents and the big screen will light up my face at night.

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
I dunno when the top is on, its a little odd getting in. I am glad I dont have to DD mine!:cool:

Plus its hard to do upgrades on a DD.:wallbang:

·
6,159 Posts
If I had to DD mine, I think I would be twice as tired as I am now.

I DD'ed my E36 M3 in LA traffic when I was young and it beat the crap out of me with the stiff clutch and suspension. Now I am way older and my back would not be able to handle it, I'm sure.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have been DD'ing my 06 Elise since '06. I have put about 44,000 miles on it, including groceries, work, and other forms of fun. With occasional limitations and finagling, it has served me very well in this capacity. I am completely happy with it in every way, shape, form, and manner.

So I was wondering: do you think I should continue to use my Elise as a daily driver? :shrug: :p :popcorn:

·
Registered
265 Posts
@drchris
It seems like you enjoyed it and you did not have many problems DD ing it. I wouldn't see why you shouldn't.

And a question of my own how do NJ Elise DD'ers like the car here.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Two years!

In two days I hit my one year anniversary for my 2009 Lotus Elise (Saffron).

I've had a number of small issues but nothing significant. The engine is solid and the car drives well. I've had more fun in one year driving the Lotus than in 25 years driving Toyotas.

Mine is a daily driver. I have both summer and winter tires as well as both soft and hard tops. In the summer I drive my new car about 90% of the time. In the winter I drive my new car about 75% of the time. I use a 1986 Tercel on the other days. I think when my Tercel dies I will use the Lotus 100% for summer and 90% for winter. My backup in winter will be public transit.

Key highlights for the year are:

- 17,000 km (10,600 miles)
- No speeding tickets
- One cop actually leaned into my car just to praise it
- Gas mileage is about 7.2 L / 100 km
- Some nicks in the StarShield but no dents or scratches from other cars
- No flat tires, no rads blowing up etc.

The minor issues were:

1) Turn signal rate trippled - dealer replaced some wiring
2) Window developed a gap - I opened the door panel and tightened a nut
3) One carpet button broke - I ordered a set of aluminum buttons which look really cool
4) Tensioning cable on the softtop came apart - found the mechanism that holds it and put it back together
5) The plastic caps at the top where the seatbelts retract started to come loose - I glued them

I'm a DIY type of guy so these issues were kind of fun to sort out.

So overall, I'm really pleased with my first year.

Off to buy a lamb...
Yesterday I hit the two year anniversary for my Elise. In the past year I have put on 23,000 km and now have a little over 40,000 km on my baby. This year I had only one small issue with the car. The check engine light appeared one day. The next day the dealer changed a bad O2 sensor and the car was back to normal.

This year I did my normal daily commuting but also enjoyed a number of road trips.

1) Muskoka Woods Sport Camp

This camp is about 2.5 hours north of Toronto. I went up there on a mild winter day to visit my daughter. She was on a week-long school trip.

2) St. Paul Minnesota

I visited a friend in Minnesota. Four days of driving just to visit for a 2 day weekend. Yes, it was worth it!

3) Montreal

I went to Montreal one weekend in the summer to visit an old friend.

Each of the trips was a lot of fun. There is nothing cooler than pulling into a gas station in the middle of winter in an Elise and witnessing the expressions on people's faces.

On my summer trip to St. Paul, a police sheriff drove by my car very slowly, complimented me on it and then drove off. The next time that happens I should really get a photo of the cop in my car.

On the Montreal trip I was able to board a ferry in my Elise for a picturesque trip across a river. My friend told me that two bridges had collapsed in Quebec in the past two years. As it turned out another one collapsed just one week after my trip.

Picture 1 was taken near the sports camp in Jan 2011. The second picture was taken at a gas station in northern USA in July 2011.

The third picture shows what the underbody of my car looks like after 2 salty winters. The final picture shows the two oil hoses near the oil filter--both are clean and dry.

I included the underbody shot so that you can decide if winter driving is for you. No doubt many of you are cringing looking at picture 3. Actually though, the underbody looks better than I had expected.

All in all, it was a great year.

Attachments

·
6,159 Posts
So I was wondering: do you think I should continue to use my Elise as a daily driver? :shrug: :p :popcorn:
Just wondering, how have your sills been holding up? I noticed even with 5xxx miles on my car, they show more than usual wear.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My daily-driving impressions after driving it almost daily for about 2 months:

I take it on a 5 km commute in a mix of bumper-to-bumper traffic and moderately-open roads. I wear jeans some days, dress pants other days. Whether I wear my All-stars or Italian loafers I have no trouble getting in, out, and controlling the pedals.

Loose change and keys must come out of the pockets or they end up in the seats or between the brackets.

The car is remarkably comfortable but noisy and rattly. Soaks up bumps and road imperfections quite well. Makes the commute fun and spirited. I've driven it in a medium rainfall and had only a few streaks of water run down the inside front part of both windows. Heater and AC work REALLY well. Stock stereo sucks, but plan to change that.

Rear visibility is a pain in the ass, but liveable. I have to back up extremely slowly and check nonstop to make sure the situation doesn't change from second to second.

All in all, a great daily driver. Nowhere near as comfortable as my S4, but immensely more interesting. Love it!

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
That would totally suck to have to drive a lotus everywhere you go!

you cant really "bring anything home" beyone an i pad, and thats only if you don't have a passanger.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just wondering, how have your sills been holding up? I noticed even with 5xxx miles on my car, they show more than usual wear.
Notorious, they do have a few scuff marks that won't completely clean off. Nothing that really makes me feel the need to go replace them. I assume you are talking about the black plastic sill covers.

By the way, people, I asked my question about "should I CONTINUE to use my Elise as a daily driver", after 40,000 miles, just to be silly. It was just a goofy new spin on an old question, meant for a chuckle. I guess my "tone of font" wasn't dripping enough with sarcasm. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

you cant really "bring anything home" beyone an i pad, and thats only if you don't have a passanger.
Bah. You have to learn how to pack your boot then. I easily fit a weeks worth of clothes, a laptop with a 17" screen, a digital camera with multiple lenses, and other goodies just in my boot when I take mine on trips. The only time I put anything in the passenger seat is if I bring something large like a cooler or I take the top off but considering my trips are usually around 300-400 miles one way I leave the top on for most of it or I would be deaf when I got there. Also it works well for work and being a mechanical engineer I have had all kinds of equipment in mine like IR camera systems, vibration analysis equipment, hammer drills, laser measuring equipment, and all kinds of goodies.

·
Registered
841 Posts

Lern 2 pak like me:

Helmet
Nomex firesuit, gloves, undergarments, and other gear
2-ton jack
3' breaker bar
jack helper (to lift entire rear of car quickly)
four rotors (60 lbs right there)
extra brake pads for all 4 calipers.
torque wrench
120 pc tool box
soft side cooler
chocks
clothes for three days
extra pair of shoes
air compressor
shop towel roll
microfiber towels
detailing spray
glass cleaner
tire puncture repair kit
630 lumen flashlight

·
6,159 Posts
The boot gets really hot though and I have cooked some magazines and documents I left there. The papers turned brown and flaked away like heart baked parchment. I want the trunk organizer from sector 111. Looks like it could prevent some movement of contents too.

I am used to having two seater convertibles though so packing and improvising is nothing new.

My sills don't have scuffs but in some areas, the top layer of the plastic peeled, revealing a different texture of plastic underneath.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My boot doesn't get that hot ever. Of course the highest temps we see here is high 90s and maybe 100 but even then nothing gets really hot in the boot. Sounds like you drive you car a little too close to the sun. Plastic peeling? Are you protecting it regularly with something like Lexol or the like? When I lived in Cali I never went a week without using protectant on all of the plastic, leather and rubber bits. Paper turns brown at near its flash point. Seems like your boot carpet would be near melting at those temps.

The boot gets really hot though and I have cooked some magazines and documents I left there. The papers turned brown and flaked away like heart baked parchment. I want the trunk organizer from sector 111. Looks like it could prevent some movement of contents too.

I am used to having two seater convertibles though so packing and improvising is nothing new.

My sills don't have scuffs but in some areas, the top layer of the plastic peeled, revealing a different texture of plastic underneath.

141 - 160 of 268 Posts