The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprised no thread on this.

I'm DVRing the closing ceremonies, but some random general musings:

- Women's Soccer - yes, wonderful. The greatest thing ever. 80K people watching. Whooo hoo. And it will be back to complete obscurity and disinterest by about Thursday. That is, depending on how many appearances the hot ones (Hope Solo, Alex Morgan) make.

- 'Dancing With The Stars' - so its a given that one of these people will be on Dancin' With the Start. I'm going either Gabby Douglas or Ryan Lochte - he seems just douchey enough for it.

- International Hoops Officials - Christ almighty can they kill a game. The game has been over for 9 hours, but I think they are STILL making foul calls.

- Doping - sorry Jamaica, it's gonna catch up with you. Carl Lewis is on to something. A tiny country known for weed and reggae music suddenly produced 5 of the 6 medalists and DESTROYS records. Marion Jones and others have taught us that, when it comes to doping and track and field, where there's smoke there's usually fire.

- LoLo - I love Rashida Jone's twin, but man oh man, is she the most overhyped athlete in the history of the world? Yes, she's beautiful, but all that hype for a single 12 second event?

- Oscar Pistorius - a great inspirational story, but lots of people think it's 'cheating' - that is, that the blades offer a significant advantage. I don't know, but it's an interesting discussion.

- 'Swapped Countries' - many saw the GORGEOUS Olympian walking in with Sri Lanka. Twitter went mad. Turns out her name is Christine Merrill, born in Bakersfield and running track for UCSD. I'm not sure what the rules are, but all these 'borrowed' athletes things are kinda goofy. Some dude once farted in Tanzania, so he can now play for their Olympic team? Here's her pic BTW:

Discuss....

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Not even to MENTION the Chrome Orange Elise in the closing ceremonies.....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

- LoLo - I love Rashida Jone's twin, but man oh man, is she the most overhyped athlete in the history of the world? Yes, she's beautiful, but all that hype for a single 12 second event?
I dont get it, googled her as I have not watch much of the games and saw this.... Not attractive.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont get it, googled her as I have not watch much of the games and saw this.... Not attractive.

That's not a great picture of her. If you see her interviewed (live vs photo) she's actually VERY pretty. Again, looks like Rashida Jones from Parks and Rec.

As for the CO Elise - haven't watched the Closing yet. I'm on the 'pre-show' with at that annoying Mary Carrillo thing talking about girl power. Hopefully the closing ceremony isn't a big nationalized healthcare commercial like the Opening Ceremony was. I see that the Spice Girls are gonna do a reunite. Sorry England, you have NO claim on the 'superiority' thing after that.

Oh, I'd give 10 quid to be sitting in a pub with Jeremy Clarkson hearing his take on this stuff....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That's not a great picture of her. If you see her interviewed (live vs photo) she's actually VERY pretty. Again, looks like Rashida Jones from Parks and Rec.

As for the CO Elise - haven't watched the Closing yet. I'm on the 'pre-show' with at that annoying Mary Carrillo thing talking about girl power. Hopefully the closing ceremony isn't a big nationalized healthcare commercial like the Opening Ceremony was. I see that the Spice Girls are gonna do a reunite. Sorry England, you have NO claim on the 'superiority' thing after that.

Oh, I'd give 10 quid to be sitting in a pub with Jeremy Clarkson hearing his take on this stuff....
I did only link that one, but the rest that popped up didnt do her justice either. I mean, shes ok, but not my type at all....

This is my type.

Anyways, I think Jeremy Clarkson would have been the best commentator of all going into this... That would have made me much more willing to watch!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,150 Posts
Not even to MENTION the Chrome Orange Elise in the closing ceremonies.....
It was indeed CO...

(Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys singing "West End Girls" in the foreground).

So. Very. Appropriate. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some random closing ceremony musings:

- Cool to the see the Elise. And the Big Healey and the Frogeye and the Triumph TR GT. Oh, and the Phantom Dropheads.

- Apparently Britain wants us to care about this Jessie J chick who as far as I can tell, is like the UK version of Katy Perry. Hot enough chick, but please stop forcing it. No one knows who she is.

- Kaiser Chefs did an admirable job of Pinball Wizard.

- Fatboy Slim was REALLY happy doing that weird 'hand sync' thing. He wasn't even that happy when he was playing bass in the video for the happiest song ever made 'Happy Hour' by The Housemartins.

- Prince Harry singing 'Wish You Were Here' was kinda cool. Seeing car enthusiast god Nick Mason drumming was cool. The recreating of the burning suited man handshake album cover was REALLY cool.

- Alessandra Ambrosio. Nuff said

- LoLo singing 'Wonderwall' - nice. Although, what the hell is 'Beady Eye'- is it post Gallagher brothers fistfight band name?

- Brian May is an unsung guitar god.

- Pet Shop Boys - I have no words. Why were the bike riders wearing those Silent Hill costumes?

- The Spice Girls reuniting is REALLY a big event? Sorry Britain, you have no leg to stand on EVER making fun of American culture.

- PLEASE stop forcing Russell Brand on us. Now.

The standout of the evening? A man who has been dead for 20 years. Christ he was a musical genius.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was indeed CO...

(Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys singing "West End Girls" in the foreground).

So. Very. Appropriate. :cool:
I'm looking at those outfits on the Pet Shop Boys and it's as if the Klan was founded in the Castro.

But the guy standing by the Elise? I'm sure he's saying 'Lotus? Who makes that?" :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
- Oscar Pistorius - a great inspirational story, but lots of people think it's 'cheating' - that is, that the blades offer a significant advantage. I don't know, but it's an interesting discussion.

Discuss....
Also less muscle producing less lactic acid, Less weight to lug around, Those blades can be upgraded every year as new materials pop up. Kinda like putting a bicycle against Horses, eventually that bicycle will have an engine and those horses will still be horses. It should not be allowed!

Nevermind the IT (well what do you call it?) running the womans 800m and taking silver for South africa?

Other than those SA did alright.

Missed the Elise, but then again I did not watch the ceremony :D

·
Premium Member
6,756 Posts
Seems the majority of the competitors found him inspirational and were very positive. Tnot look at him as handicapped is fabulous IMO.

"SHE"?? was pretty nasty wasn't she.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Croatian Women's Basketball Player Antonija Misura - nuff said:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts