The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked one up and it says:

The 'dirtier' it looks, the better it works...If you feel the need to wash the 'Original California Car Duster' for any reason, hand wash only using mild soap...
So, how often do you wash these things? Is it true that these dusters can go for long period without wash and NOT scratch the car's finish? It seems to have a wax finish on the threads. Any suggestions how often I should wash the duster?

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
There is parafin wax on the threads and mine was soaked so well that on warmer days it would leave streaks on the paint. Left it on some newspaper for a few days and problem solved. Haven't washed mine in two years (don't use it everyday), but I will probably wash it when repeatedly shaking it still frees a lot of dust and the bottom is very grimey. We'll see...

Try to use very light pressure when using it. Let the weight of the threads provide the force and it shouldn't scratch. Haven't been able to test it on an Elise yet, so this is judging by black Merc paint.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have been using the same one for about 5 years and have never washed it. I usually just shake it out after I use it. Just make sure you do not use these when the car is dirty enough that a full wash is needed or you will scratch the finish.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Mine is nassssty looking. I just give it a good shaking. Have never washed it. It doesn't scratch. Been a looong time since i've used it, but I only use it on light dust accumulated at a show or in the garage. Any more when the cars are dusty I've just been using a spray detailer and microfiber cloth, but maybe I should dig the ol california duster out. I used to use that thing religously. I think I actually have 3 of them laying around.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kozak Auto Dry Wash in Batvaria, NY makes a treated dust cloth used by many high-end body shops and detailers. Their Kozak Cloth doesn't scratch the paint and lasts a long time by simply shaking it out after each use. I wouldn't use it on a dirty finish but it works well on dust. You often find them at a concours in the winner's detailing kit.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I've never washed my duster and it has never scratched my cars.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Been several years and never washed it (my Duster that is LOL) but I do keep it in the vinyl case it came in - otherwise can get very goopy in your trunk in hot weather - good advice to leave it on newspaper in hot weather at first to get some of the main wax off it - LOVE MINE!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts