The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Woke up this morn and decided to take a little drive to Ortega Hwy. My wife reminded me it had rained last night. Huh? It rained? Hmm..cold roads, rain & A048s. Not a nice combo. Well I'm usually down for a challenge. Besides, how could I refuse my lovely Elise? So throw on some warm clothes, grab my camera (I remembered this time), a CD, the keys, kiss the wife and kids and I'm off.

Here's where I went:

I love this road. So do the sportbike riders and cops. Lots of elevation change and turns throughout its 30 or so miles. It was repaved a couple of years ago so the road is pretty smooth. Plenty of sections with no guard rails to put the fear of God in you.

The Elise is made for these types of roads. I have been revving my car more and dipping into the second cam. What a feeling. This car simply destroys roads like this. It's limits are scary. I had the car sliding a bit (unintentionally) in a wet corner but it was very easy to modulate and control. What balance!

I have the Arqray twin tip exhaust and it sounds wonderful. Running through the gears was a pleasure. I've adjusted my heel 'n toe technique for this car. Not too bad. I'll try the pedal adjustment HRM recommends.

Here's a pic from near the top:

·
Supporting Vendor
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hells Kitchen is a cool joint at the top of Ortega. It was started by a real motorsports enthusiast. The TVs are usually playing F1, WRC, CART, MotoGP, NASCAR, etc. It is generally overflowing with HD riders. I see a bright blue Diablo here on occasion.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a great drive - though it rained a bit. I finally turned on my stereo for the boring hwy drone to Ortega. Cued up Section 25's 'Looking From A Hilltop'. What an electronica masterpiece - produced back in 1984.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Very nice Shinoo, don't we own a great car? I did the dame thing on Saturday, just got in the car with my son and we drove for 2 1/2 hours. We tried out a road I had not been on and it was fantastic. For those in Atlanta, go up 575 to state route 136, take 136 across to 400/19 and back to town. 136 has about 15 miles of nice switchbacks and elevation change.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Ortega

Hi Shinno, I saw a Chrome Orange blurr going the other way
near Cooks corner.I was in a Blk A.MG. 500. BTW your car looks great with out the boat trailer reflectors on the tail. Burrrrrr............. it was cold.::D
All The Best Don Paul

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
shinoo said:
Cued up Section 25's 'Looking From A Hilltop'. What an electronica masterpiece - produced back in 1984.
Good at your word.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
_JD_ said:
How do you like the new exhaust Shinoo? Or did I miss the review in another thread? Is that the KMS?
JD, It is the Arqray Ti twin tip not the KMS. It sounds great and is really light weight. It has a higher pitched exhaust note than the QS or Stg2. More refined in sound and not as loud or as deep as them. It sounds much more like the KMS system but lacks the trick KMS 'loudness' valve. I installed the Sport cat instead of the Cat Replacement Pipe. The entire system weighs 20.3lbs vs 38lb stock.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Ortega

APOGEE said:
I was in a Blk A.MG. 500.
Don, I think I saw you as well. I need to make an appointment with NE to have you work your 1k mile magic on my baby. Probably next week or sooner...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
shinoo said:
JD, It is the Arqray Ti twin tip not the KMS. It sounds great and is really light weight. It has a higher pitched exhaust note than the QS or Stg2. More refined in sound and not as loud or as deep as them. It sounds much more like the KMS system but lacks the trick KMS 'loudness' valve. I installed the Sport cat instead of the Cat Replacement Pipe. The entire system weighs 20.3lbs vs 38lb stock.
Shinoo, That's a great looking exhaust system. I would love to hear it......would consider changing my stage 2 if it sounds right. Did you go with the SS or Ti?

Ron

·
Supporting Vendor
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pianomaniac said:
Did you go with the SS or Ti?
Ti. It sounds great to me - but I'm admittedly biased. ;) I will be replacing the stock diffuser with a ReVerie cf diffuser that has no hole in it as well. I'm thinking about going to Crystal Cove next week. Maybe you can come out and check it out?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ekological said:
Is it possible to replace the panels that are removed for the exhaust with the S2 ones?
That is what I aim to sort out. I know the KMS system works with the stock 111S perforated panels - I'm just not positive with the Arqray.

Ultimately I'll be adding a KMS rear tie bar kit that fully exposes the exhaust. It is the same as on KMS Elise's car. The stock center section that holds the license plate is heavy!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Shinoo,
I want that exhaust system, tie bars, and C/F undertray with no holes!! :cool:

Is it OK to fully remove the primary heat shielding that you cut sections out of?.. I did it and am hoping that it will be OK. The secondary heat sheilding looks very capable and pretty thick with foil covered fibreglas or ceramic fibre matting...
Cut and chop Perry___________
P.S. Sounds like you had a great ride!!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
perryeyges said:
Is it OK to fully remove the primary heat shielding that you cut sections out of?.. I did it and am hoping that it will be OK.
Hey Sabersaw Eyges,
Many of the Japanese guys had completely removed their heat shielding. They claim no ill effects as a result.

You might prefer the single tip Ti - it is lighter and LOUDER!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Here guys, I made a clip of the exhaust sound with my digital camera. Mikester should have some others in time, if I recall. Let me know if it does not work.

Could not get it to upload to the gallery, so I had to Zip it. Windows Media Audio file.

Edit: WAV upon request, in case.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts