The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I had those on my MR2. Nice sounding horns, but if you don't mount them to a very rigid part of the car (frame, for example), they'll quit working after a year or two (the trumpets fail, not the compressor). Even then, they never lasted more than a few years.

YMMV. ;)

·
Registered
528 Posts
The Stobel Nautilus Twin Tone Air Horn may be easier. One fixing point, single electrical connection, so it's basically plug and play.

Rated at 139dB at 4 feet. Tones at 530hz and 680hz.

Also comes in red.

Sound

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That's at 4 inches, not feet...They also have ratings at 2m.

The Nautilus is a nifty idea, but the GPS air horns are even louder, at 118dB at 2m compared to 115dB for the Nautilus.

Steve, discord is what you want. You want to wake people up, not relax them with a nice soothing harmony.

http://www.stebel.it/stebel/

·
Registered
528 Posts
John Stimson said:
That's at 4 inches, not feet...They also have ratings at 2m.

The Nautilus is a nifty idea, but the GPS air horns are even louder, at 118dB at 2m compared to 115dB for the Nautilus.
Ah, interesting. Thanks for the info.

I've heard the Nautilus is popular because it's an easy install, plus it's light and reasonably durable. An extra 3dB would be nice (2x the sound pressure and a perceived 20-30% or so increase in volume), though I'm not sure it'll be worth the extra hassle and weight.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>(2x the sound pressure and a perceived 20-30% or so increase in volume), though I'm not sure it'll be worth the extra hassle and weight.<<<

Three dB, while useful, is not really that much louder. If you ever listen to the radio and turn it up just a smidge that tends to be about 3 dB. It's not overwhelming or anything and may be offset by other factors such as install details. It would be useful to know what our stock horns can do at the 2 meter distance....I think I read that they put out 97 dB but don't have the conditions under which they were tested. The frequencies of the tones also makes a difference with higher freqs falling in the range where they are more noticeable to people for the same dB level. Also the way these horns are measured (dBA) uses a scale whereby sounds below 1000 HZ are progressively filtered off and most of the horns seem to have their fundamentals below 1000 Hz. Further complicating things is that the lower frequencies tend to penetrate barriers such as the next car's window glass more effectively. When I track down my RS SPL meter I'll try to get some numbers on the stock horn. If it is 97 dBA @ 2 meters then either the 115 or 118 versions should be quite a nice improvement. To me the three tone horns sound the best. I have never had air horns last more than 2-3 years so they may just need changing out from time to time. Or maybe the lower mileage many Elises will see mitigates longevity concerns. Some say to make sure they point downward so that water issues are minimized. Also, there tends to be a slight but noticeable lag between when you hit the horn buton and when the sound starts up and reaches full power.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Stan said:
Also, there tends to be a slight but noticeable lag between when you hit the horn buton and when the sound starts up and reaches full power.
I actually like that air lag, when the horns are run in tandem with the stock electromechanical buzzer.

A short rap or two on the horn gives a polite toot without enough time to get pressure to the horns -- just the thing to signal howdy or nudge someone without waking the dead. A steady press summons the full blast in anger.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I just posted this same question in another thread but here it goes again:

I believe that in order to install a good set of air horns we are going to have to remove the front clam so does anyone have a good set of instructions on how to remove and replace the front clam? It would be nice to also get some tips or common mistakes problems in the r&r process.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John Stimson said:
Steve, discord is what you want. You want to wake people up, not relax them with a nice soothing harmony.[/url]
There's a balance, though. It's about emotional response. The dischord of the Nautilus is irritating - they picked one of the worse pitch combinations they could have. It would make me want to hit (punch) the driver. It screams "*******!" Know what I mean?

The dischord of the Fiamm, on the other hand, is elegant. I think it's the third horn that does it - adds a harmonic, high-pitched flair to the sound.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Can anyone explain why the two sound clips of the all-in-one horn unit sound so different? (audio clips above in the thread) One sounds angry and discordant and the other happy and tuneful. Different frequencies perhaps?

·
Registered
442 Posts
NtflBlueLiz said:
I just posted this same question in another thread but here it goes again:

I believe that in order to install a good set of air horns we are going to have to remove the front clam so does anyone have a good set of instructions on how to remove and replace the front clam? It would be nice to also get some tips or common mistakes problems in the r&r process.
You don't have to remove the front clam. If you aim to install them in the stock location, you'll have to remove the front undertray and the front/right fender well liner. Then you'll need really small hands and a lot of patience. I placed mine under the removable front bonnet on the passenger side, near the fuse box. Easier to get to, but I want to hear a stock horn side-by-side to determine whether that position is too much of a compromise.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Au111, I don't have small hands!
Please let us know if the horn works well were you installed it. What kind is it?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts