The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>(2x the sound pressure and a perceived 20-30% or so increase in volume), though I'm not sure it'll be worth the extra hassle and weight.<<<

Three dB, while useful, is not really that much louder. If you ever listen to the radio and turn it up just a smidge that tends to be about 3 dB. It's not overwhelming or anything and may be offset by other factors such as install details. It would be useful to know what our stock horns can do at the 2 meter distance....I think I read that they put out 97 dB but don't have the conditions under which they were tested. The frequencies of the tones also makes a difference with higher freqs falling in the range where they are more noticeable to people for the same dB level. Also the way these horns are measured (dBA) uses a scale whereby sounds below 1000 HZ are progressively filtered off and most of the horns seem to have their fundamentals below 1000 Hz. Further complicating things is that the lower frequencies tend to penetrate barriers such as the next car's window glass more effectively. When I track down my RS SPL meter I'll try to get some numbers on the stock horn. If it is 97 dBA @ 2 meters then either the 115 or 118 versions should be quite a nice improvement. To me the three tone horns sound the best. I have never had air horns last more than 2-3 years so they may just need changing out from time to time. Or maybe the lower mileage many Elises will see mitigates longevity concerns. Some say to make sure they point downward so that water issues are minimized. Also, there tends to be a slight but noticeable lag between when you hit the horn buton and when the sound starts up and reaches full power.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Can anyone explain why the two sound clips of the all-in-one horn unit sound so different? (audio clips above in the thread) One sounds angry and discordant and the other happy and tuneful. Different frequencies perhaps?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
So can you describe the stock horns? What are they, the usual twin hockey puck sized disc-like objects? Does the sound come out of the front mouth of the Elise?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>how terrible is the stock horn?<<<

I read that it puts out about 97 dB which is not very loud compared to the aftermarket horns. A good horn is important on the Elise as there will be times where other cars don't see you. I suspect that the height of the car is so low that some SUV side mirrors may not even display it to the driver sucking down a big-gulp while chatting on the cell and punching in GPS destination info. It's nice that the Elise horn buttons are located so nicely - you don't have to move your hand to hit the horn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.